sodium weight/bloat how long to go away?

Options
2»

Replies

• rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Three days for me, after a few slices of cheap pizza. I shot up and held two pounds for a couple days, but stuck with the calorie/workout thing end when the salt flushed out dropped five.

I was happy in the end :)
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    i eat bananas every day. so i am hoping that will help. yesterday i think i drank like 100 oz of water but still feel awful today... oh well, maybe i'll just have to wait this one out. thanks... i will be really watching sodium for now on. i had no idea what an effect it has on me
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Two or three days for me usually.
  • lovelyrose11
    lovelyrose11 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I think this depends on the person. For me it can take up to 4 days but my husband gets it off in one day with lots of water and a good workout. He has it easy. haha.
  • harriet_tubman
    Options
    if you work out (and sweat) it will go away immediately.
  • Royaltvii
    Royaltvii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I find it can take 2-4 days depending. Water and high intensity workouts combined with vitamins or lots of veggies will help.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    can someone pls tell me if all sodium is bad, just looked at turkey breast for my dinner tonight and its really high???
    and my fish, which i eat a lot is quite high, never add salt to anything or cook with it.

Some sodium is going to be in your diet. You can track sodium in your dairy by changing your settings. In general, you don't want to go over the default settings in MFP for sodium. If you have high blood pressure, check with your doctor. They'll want you to stay much lower. If you have low blood pressure, check with your doc but they usually won't care.

If you eat processed foods you will run into issues with high sodium (even deli meats count). Otherwise, it's usually a matter of how you cook.
  • busyblkgirl
    busyblkgirl Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    For me it's a couple of days.
  • Diandra81
    Diandra81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    4 days at least for me...
  • laceyclapp
    Options
    I sweat like crazy but its been two days and I still feel bloated. I always intake the proper amount of water.. this is frustrating
  • zoeylover895
    Options
    I gained 6 pounds of sodium weight from eating crap. I went from 108 to 114. It usually takes me 2 days to get back to normal. Its been one day, and now I'm 111. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be back to 108!
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Sodium wreaks havoc on me as I get older. Never even thought about it until I started tracking it here. Lately it's been 3, sometimes 4 days before it flushes out. It can be frustrating for sure but at least I know what it is. Dealing with it right now and just waiting.... :-)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I recently swore off weighing myself until next month because I broke myleg and was taking percoset, then I had a catarat operation. I know I'm bloated, but my clothes still fit. I think it's important not to get stressed over water bloat because it's temporary.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I find after chinese food it takes 2 to 3 days for that extra sodium to disappear - drinking extra water doesn't even help me :/ but at least its temporary :)
  • feralkitten1010
    feralkitten1010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    For me it's between 1-3 days. Depends on how far over I've gone. Some extra fiber seems to help me shorten that time frame.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    It depends on what I eat and how much water I drink the the following days.
  • 100andOnward
    100andOnward Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm glad somebody resurrected this thread. I was wondering about this.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I know this is old, but sodium kills me. I'm a 3-4 day'er myself.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Sodium kills me. When ever I take in bunches, I think, "I guess it's not making me bloat much this time!" and then a couple days later, I feel so much better, lol.

Less sodium every day - that has to be my next battle. It's so important. The MFP number is set way too high and I exceed that sometimes.

My poor cardiovascular system had to deal with all that fat. It needs a break.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    For me it's between 1-3 days. Depends on how far over I've gone. Some extra fiber seems to help me shorten that time frame.

^^ this is worth a try, thanks :)