New Me...

Options
I have struggled for years with my weight, up down up down! Now its just rapidly up and I am the heaviest I have ever been. Even 9 months pregnant!

I want to get down to a comfortable weight, nothing outragoues like "High School Skinny" LOL, but I need to lose 80 lbs. My weight gain has caused many health issues for me and just sheer uncomfortableness!

Soooooooo, here is what I am doing to change things. We are doing a Biggest Loser challenge at work and I am going to the gym 4 times a week to start.

I have to change my eating habbits though, suggestions for not snacking welcome.

Thanks!

Replies

• tenas
    tenas Posts: 121
    Options
    Welcome. Try to keep healthy snacks on hand. I typically keep things like fruit and fat free yogurt on hands. If possible try to cut down on the number of unhealthy snacks in the house.
  • mel6chi
    mel6chi Posts: 6
    Options
    To me, the key is not to deny myself anything. That's why MFP is helpful. If I want a cookie & I have enough calories left for the day, I have a cookie. If not, I have to decide if I want the cookie bad enough to work out to burn enough calories for the cookie. I tried denying myself sweets and that just did not work for me (I was not a pleasant person to be around). This is so much better and I'm able to stick to my goals easier.
  • columbae86
    Options
    That's exactly what I do as well! Do not deny anything to yourself if you're still under your calorie goal, else you're going to empty a bag of cookies the following week. Good luck and you can do it! :-D
  • BeeSunny
    BeeSunny Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    To me, the key is not to deny myself anything. That's why MFP is helpful. If I want a cookie & I have enough calories left for the day, I have a cookie. If not, I have to decide if I want the cookie bad enough to work out to burn enough calories for the cookie. I tried denying myself sweets and that just did not work for me (I was not a pleasant person to be around). This is so much better and I'm able to stick to my goals easier.

Sounds like me!! Good advice I do agree
  • MasonMelissa
    MasonMelissa Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Hi jig5379
    I am a cook so snacking is a way of life for me so there are some things that i have leared over the last 75 days. I wish you best of luck on your weight loss goal. My suggestion for not snacking is to eat higher protein meals, which helps with the hunger. Some suggestions are Greek yogurt and hummus. As for snacking you need to find out when you do it most and why you do it. For me 7pm is my snacking hour if I can avoid that I can avoid almost all snacking. I also do it out of boredom so days off are a killer on my diet. I do not avoid having snacks I just make sure that I know that it is because my body is hungry and it is not cause I am bored . Plus I am making better choices, I still eat food that I am craving but I eat less of it. I am a chocoholic so when i am craving chocolate i will have a low cal brownie instead of eating a chocolate bar which is way more calories. And just remember that if you do indulge remember to exercise to compensate for the calories that you have eaten.

I hope this helpes
  • TorridSkies4
    Options
    If I get a sweet tooth, I'll make some sugar free pudding with 2% milk. Sometimes I'll have one of those 100 cal snack packs.

Other non-sweet type snacks I like are: oven roasted almonds with sea salt, activia yogurts, apples with peanut butter (try finding PB2 peanut butter, it's only 45 cals per 2 tablespoons!), any type of fruits, sugar free jello, etc.

Good luck on your journey, you're just at the begining! :)
  • Hopelessbird
    Options
    My routine took a long time to get used to but I work out 45-60min (90min if I have time) 4-5X/week, lift weights 2X/week and eat clean. I eat 3 small meals and 2 snacks a day (3 snacks during lift days).

I love snacking but my snacks are usually fruits or a cheese wedge. I have 2 oranges and a banana in purse right now. I am rarely hungry but never eat enough to feel stuffed - just satiated. I still eat snacks when I don't feel hungry.

Good luck!
  • nagle77
    nagle77 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I find that is I want to snack on something I will generally chew a piece of gum or I will drink some water.
  • BeeSunny
    BeeSunny Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Welcome !!!

I try to make little snack bags or say half and apple and 15 raw almonds, or 15 grapes and 10 walnuts, yogurt is a good snack, be creative, I like to make my lunch with out bread and use red leaf lettuce to add my meat if I want meat that day like turkey and a wedge of skinny cow cheese, and part of a cucumber, it is yummy. I also agree with not denying yourself to treats, or an award day, it helps you feel more in control of your eating, along with logging and making friends for support!! Good for you and good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • jig5379
    jig5379 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I am addicted to logging in what I eat so your right if I can have the snack without going over then why not. Last night I had celery and cream cheese, so much better then chips and dip :)

Glad to be here!