Strength training at home for beginners..

Options
Hi! I'm a SAHM that lives in the boonies and would like to try strength training at home as opposed to driving a long while to the gym. I have some dumbells (husbands) and a large weight bar thingy. Are there some you tube vids anyone can recommend, or some advice for doing this at home without all the fancy machines? I'd like to start slow obviously and not spend too much $$. Can this be done, or is it only for the gym with a trainer?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Good news: Weight training is best done without fancy machines.

You can do deadlifts at home easily and safely (providing good form.)
    Stuff like Squats can get sketchy. Getting the bar on and off your back when it gets over a certain weight can be tough, and without a power rack, you really don't have anywhere to dump it if you miss a rep.

Bench press is also dangerous without at least a spotter. And you need a bench.

In any case, start with some good reading. form is paramount. New rules of weightlifing for women....
  • anorrybot
    anorrybot Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was doing an internet search to look for a good program I could do and this looks promising. Keep at it and the weight will come off. http://www.shelterpub.com/_fitness/_weight_training/dumbbell_training.html
  • elelat
    elelat Posts: 117
    Options
    HI, This a routine I do on Saturdays when I dont go to the gym. It focuses to tone up the chest. I dont have equipment. You will love what she uses for equipment...
    the sad thing is that the lady is speaking in spanish, you decide if you want to follow movements or not.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqydj1J9JGQ&list=FLPqvYMDa1_gAPE-7yhlElIA&index=3&feature=plpp_video

Do a search on tone up what ever... :)
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    You sure can!
    I do all my strength training @ home with Olympic barbell & bench, dumbbells, E-Zcurlbar, & tower of power(pullup/dip station)

Some good books to get:
    "Anatomy for Strength and Fitness Training for Women" and" The New Rules of Lifting for Women"
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • plhv19
    plhv19 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a SAHM that lives in the boonies and would like to try strength training at home as opposed to driving a long while to the gym. I have some dumbells (husbands) and a large weight bar thingy. Are there some you tube vids anyone can recommend, or some advice for doing this at home without all the fancy machines? I'd like to start slow obviously and not spend too much $$. Can this be done, or is it only for the gym with a trainer?

check out my blog!!
  • Alpine005
    Alpine005 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    hope this helps.

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/dumbbellexercises.html

There are some great DVDs like Power 90 or P90x. Resistence bands are pretty cheap too.
  • IAmJeanaK
    IAmJeanaK Posts: 43
    Options
    Yes it can be done at home. I'm doing it. YouTube has a lot of great workout videos. Believe me, I've been all threw them. Also check out SparkPeoples YouTube Channel. Lot of good videos there.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing!

We have a weight machine thing, but I hate it. I use it, but I hate it, lol. It's a Weider Pro something. I hate that it doesn't even tell me how much weight I'm pulling :grumble: And, there isn't that many exercises I can do on it. Being short, its hard to reach all the things on it. And its boring... But, it should still help me tone, right?
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options

check out my blog!!

Can you share where your blog is? i'd like to check it out as well
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    This is the one I am using right now:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html

I have an aversion to gyms (membership fees) so do what I can at home ... :)
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    DVD's

1. Chalean Extreme - excellent strength workout
    2. Cathe Friedrich - Slow & Heavy or Muscle Max
    3. Kelly Coffey-Meyer - 30 min to fitness or muscle definition

Books

1. NRFLW
    2. Women's Guide to Muscle and Strength
  • bjz82much
    bjz82much Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shamrck44
    shamrck44 Posts: 91
    Options
    Hi-
    This is a 6 week bootcamp style workout, and the moves are similar to what I do with my trainer. It is a good home workout, you will get sore!

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/workout-routine
  • confuzzledwife
    confuzzledwife Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Karmarie24
    Karmarie24 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the New Rules all at home with a bench, bar, and adjustable weight dumbbells! I'm seeing awesome results so far!
  • monicaroozo
    monicaroozo Posts: 200
    Options
    bump... very interested in strength training at home as well
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Hey - any info on how you altered the programme to manage this would be great as am thinking of doing this myself. :-)