My Son Fat - By Proxy

Options
2»

Replies

• belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Too bad for them, I have ran into some individuals in my youth who were fit and would do similar things, I was overweigt and school and most of my life after the military. Now when I run into them I can just think back and look at them and smile. Also their is this woman I see walking pretty much everytime i go running she is a overweight elderly woman and when I see her I think good for you for trying to do something positive for yourself.
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    The day I decided I had had enough of being fat I was in the hospital. I had just moved from ICU to a regular floor and needed a potty chair as I couldn't get to the bathroom. I barely fit on the one they brought. I heard one nurse ask the other one why she brought that one and her reply was..."I didn't know she was a whale."

The next time I heard something like this was the day I joined the gym. I had called and made the appointment with a trainer. I was on my way to pick up my girls and I sneezed turning a corner. When I did, I veered into the other lane. Of course there was a guy there and he started cussing me and called me a fat *kitten*. Now if I had been thin I would have been a stupid b but because I was fat of course the uneducated idiot equated my being fat to why I couldn't drive. It just fueled me more to want to get the weight off.

I use idiots like these 2 to make it a few more mins on the eliptical.

Sorry your kid had to hear it...but, it really is how the real world is. Some people just are just stoooopid. BTW...in both cases the people calling me fat were large.

I'm sorry to hear that you have relateable experiences... I usually pretend they don't happen, but for some reason, I just felt it was important to share. I mentioned it to my husband last night and he was shocked. He's been thin/athletic his whole life, so he really has very little empathy. It was an eye opener to him. I agree that these situations do help to add fuel to the fire and make us push a little harder!

Best wishes to everyone on their journey, no matter where it takes you!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Do not let the *kitten* win, keep on doing, what your doing.
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight. But they'll still be *kitten*. Keep up the good work.

***LIKE****
  • bikelover1959
    Options
    just ignore them, you are a better person than them. its sad that your son had to see this but as others have said there will always be nasty people in this world, we just have to rise above them. good luck in your weight loss journey you are doing well and your son must be very proud of you and you of him
    ann
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options

This.

So sorry you had to do that, but you must be so proud of your son for wanting to protect you in that.

That's why I don't like working out outside. Sad that has to be, but it's horrible that people want to make fun of overweight people outside being active or at the gym when they are obviously trying to change and improve themselves.
  • Jme2012
    Jme2012 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Unfortuantley, there will always be ignorant people in the world. Hopefully your son learned that lastnight.
  • Jessicak02
    Jessicak02 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Don't let them bring you down. Your son may have been subjected to their cruel behavior but he now knows what it feels like and I can bet he won't humilate anyone like that. You're doing the best thing for you and your son!

I'd walk the same way everyday and make those *kitten* see that they can't deter you from reaching your goals.

So sorry they treated you that way, I worry about what this world is coming to, people are not kind to one another at all. It literally makes me sick.
  • lisaontiveros13
    lisaontiveros13 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Here's a quote to remember: "Don't try to win over your haters. You are not the Jacka$$ Whisperer."
  • peaceinside
    peaceinside Posts: 272
    Options
    Ditto That ^^^^ I know what you went thru, have experienced it my entire life even by family members. Damage is deep and what I work on daily to overcome. You son is blessed to have you teach him such beautiful life lessons.
    Peace! :flowerforyou:
  • kealey1318
    Options
    Here's a quote to remember: "Don't try to win over your haters. You are not the Jacka$$ Whisperer."

Ok, literally started choking on my lunch! Definitely NOT the Jacka$$ Whisperer!!! Thanks for the laugh!!!
  • original_cake_face
    original_cake_face Posts: 131 Member
    Options

^This.

At least you're working to fix your problem. Looks like they're celebrating theirs. Good work on your exercise. Your kid has a mom he can be proud of.
  • Tiff587
    Tiff587 Posts: 264 Member
    Options

Ok, literally started choking on my lunch! Definitely NOT the Jacka$$ Whisperer!!! Thanks for the laugh!!!

:laugh: So true! :laugh:

I can't believe people would behave like that, it's disgusting!
    Your doing awesome, and setting the best example for your lovely son!

Just remember you only have to deal with them for a few minuets, they have to live in their own heads their whole life!

:flowerforyou:
  • celtsguy81
    celtsguy81 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    That's friggin horrible. Glad you used it as a teaching point for your kid. We don't need any more DBs in our society.. hopefully he won't grow up like those jerkoffs in the truck. Keep up the good work. Remember.. you may be overweight.. but they're inbred idiots. At least you can lose weight.
  • jillyt85
    jillyt85 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    This makes me so angry! When I hear crap like this, it really brings out my horrible side and makes me want to find those boys and give them all a swift kick in the nads. You seem to have a pretty good attitude about it though. I am so sorry this happened to you. I have been singled out while walking and made fun of too.
  • kirsty736
    kirsty736 Posts: 65
    Options
    Sorry you had to suffer that but Im glad you have reacted positively xx
  • witchywillow
    witchywillow Posts: 143 Member
    Options

nicely said and totally agree :happy:
  • kealey1318
    Options
    Thanks again, everyone! Really, MFP folks make this one of the best support systems around! Most of us have similar struggles and therefore can be compassionate to the situation. You folks ROCK!!! :drinker: