Comparing myself with others is not wise

Options
2»

Replies

• artnun
    artnun Posts: 7
    Options
    Good post on comparison.
    I think of it as a danger to my weight loss success, its worse than a junk food binge. In fact it could lead to a junk food binge! It's somewhat natural, but natural like a destructive force is natural, and I really don't want that kind of thinking to dominate my life.

In very very small doses it's a good motivator. I will notice how naturally thin people have eating/activity habits far different from my own, which i can look at and see how I can adapt.

As a teacher I see the waste and damage that comparison can do all the time : if someone doesn't pick up a skill immediately and do it as well as a professional the first time they try, they decide they are " no good at it" They deny themselves the opportunity to learn a skill, and they disrespect the person who has worked hard to perfect their skill.

I congratulate you for realizing how this habit can bring you down.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Good post on comparison.
    I think of it as a danger to my weight loss success, its worse than a junk food binge. In fact it could lead to a junk food binge! It's somewhat natural, but natural like a destructive force is natural, and I really don't want that kind of thinking to dominate my life.

In very very small doses it's a good motivator. I will notice how naturally thin people have eating/activity habits far different from my own, which i can look at and see how I can adapt.

As a teacher I see the waste and damage that comparison can do all the time : if someone doesn't pick up a skill immediately and do it as well as a professional the first time they try, they decide they are " no good at it" They deny themselves the opportunity to learn a skill, and they disrespect the person who has worked hard to perfect their skill.

I congratulate you for realizing how this habit can bring you down.

Love what you've said about how you see comparison in the teaching business...that's deep and true!
  • kimberlilynn
    kimberlilynn Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I agree!! I needed this post today. Thank you!

I told my God-daughter last night I feel like I am at a "danger" point of my weight loss. I find myself scanning a room and I am now fairly average. Not the biggest gal, not the smallest gal. Then I asked out loud, "Why do I compare myself to everyone in the room?" She said, "All women do that."

So I am making a pledge to NOT compare myself, NOT get comfortable! I have worked too hard to stop. I don't want to be fairly average.

I want to be the best ME! And I know that means a healthy me. A more filt me. And I'm pretty sure weight loss is an awesome side effect of good clean food choices & excerise.

So on with the good fight!!!
  • kori333
    kori333 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I've really struggled with this lately in every aspect of my life. And even though I know I shouldn't be comparing myself to others, I still struggle to stop those thoughts. :frown: It's led to a lot of unhappiness.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I agree!! I needed this post today. Thank you!

I told my God-daughter last night I feel like I am at a "danger" point of my weight loss. I find myself scanning a room and I am now fairly average. Not the biggest gal, not the smallest gal. Then I asked out loud, "Why do I compare myself to everyone in the room?" She said, "All women do that."

So I am making a pledge to NOT compare myself, NOT get comfortable! I have worked too hard to stop. I don't want to be fairly average.

I want to be the best ME! And I know that means a healthy me. A more filt me. And I'm pretty sure weight loss is an awesome side effect of good clean food choices & excerise.

So on with the good fight!!!

You ROCK, period.:flowerforyou:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I've really struggled with this lately in every aspect of my life. And even though I know I shouldn't be comparing myself to others, I still struggle to stop those thoughts. :frown: It's led to a lot of unhappiness.

I'm sorry, and I totally know whatcha mean...that's why I NOW utterly and completely reject comparison--period. No longer accepting "this is what every does" or whatevah--just NO. I'll be genuinely happy for someone (who I previously compared myself with and bless them instead. Boy...that gets my "comparison" jones out of my system with the quickness:laugh:

I find it literally impossible to compare myself with someone and simultaneously bless them/wish them the best/want the best for them...love them/be happy for them instead. HA! That comparing stuff hits the road QUICK with that kinda thinking, believe me:wink:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!