MFP woman deadlifting 185lbs...

Options
Rae6503
Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
So I took these videos for form checks. I do think I need to work on some things. I might be rounding my back a little at the bottom of the deadlifts, and I might be leaning a touch too far forward on my squats. The bar should stay above the middle of my foot and I think it's going a bit up to the toe at times.

However, I thought I'd post them here to help any ladies who might be afraid of the "big" lifts. That's 185lbs on deadlifts, and 120lbs on squats.

http://youtu.be/oG78rvuVc74

http://youtu.be/yjBohR3kuys

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Bad *kitten*!!!
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    first off, you rock!
    secondly, regarding your deads, i think one of the best lifts was the very last one whre you lifted and then racked it. i can see the rounding in almost every other lift.. i know that it is common and quite natural for your upper back to curve on the heavier weights, but not so on your lower back.. what helps me is i tell myself, look up, shoulders down, chest up. these positions will naturally keep your back in the proper form thru out the entire lift..
    i hope you don't think i'm being too critical :love:
    other than that, total fierceness.
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    first off, you rock!
    secondly, regarding your deads, i think one of the best lifts was the very last one whre you lifted and then racked it. i can see the rounding in almost every other lift.. i know that it is common and quite natural for your upper back to curve on the heavier weights, but not so on your lower back.. what helps me is i tell myself, look up, shoulders down, chest up. these positions will naturally keep your back in the proper form thru out the entire lift..
    i hope you don't think i'm being too critical :love:
    other than that, total fierceness.

Not too critical, it's a good observation and will save a lot of heart ache if you have to take lifting breaks. Great job Rae, your making so much progress!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I saw the rounding too for sure. I was thinking the second one might have been okay but the rest had a touch of rounding. I need to be more careful.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I would say that you may want to get your butt a bit lower to start the lift, and start the upward movement with your shoulders. Pretend you have a line around your waist pulling your hips forward. You may want to deload just a bit to work on the form stuff and come back up to 185.

All in all, very nice!!! Extremely impressive weight!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Oh, and on your squats, throw your butt back a bit further. Your knees should, at most, come just a hair past your toes. This may force you to bend your torso over a hair further to keep the bar squared over your feet, but that's ok.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    omigosh - you look so big and beefy and...manly!!!

kidding.

i can't offer any feedback - just wanted to say you rock my socks! well done!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    How do people hold the bar? I wear size small gloves, I have tiny hands and I can't grip the bar for deadlifts. It makes me feel lopsided because I can squat more than my body weight and can only deadlift about half what I can squat! I can't feel deadlifts in my back at all, it just hurts my hands. I've been trying higher weights lower reps because I can usually do 3-5 before I completely lose my grip, but I'm frustrated with a lack of progress. I have lifting gloves and they help with everything except deadlifts. I thought about getting grips, but it seems like cheating and I would rather just build up the grip strength to do deadlifts without grips.

Suggestions?

Also, sorry for hijacking your thread! It's great to see women lifting heavy! I smile every time a guy doesn't rerack his squat weights and I have to add weight for mine :)
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I'd like to point out that you could deadlift me. I'm not sure how I feel about that.
  • mahidac
    mahidac Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    love it!

I wish more people could experience the joy of DLing - keep going big!
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Beautiful.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Nice job on 185x5. That's strong.

Deads didn't look too bad. your shoulders looked a little in front of the bar, but it looked like you were keeping the weight against your shins, so it seems alright.
    I like to come on back a little further and lock mine out a bit to make sure I'm getting the full lift, but thats your call.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    No advice really, you're just a frucking bad *kitten*.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Can't see the vids but great job! That is a great accomplishment!
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    YOU ROCK RAE!!!! I cannot believe the progress you've made... amazing!!!
    How do people hold the bar? I wear size small gloves, I have tiny hands and I can't grip the bar for deadlifts. It makes me feel lopsided because I can squat more than my body weight and can only deadlift about half what I can squat! I can't feel deadlifts in my back at all, it just hurts my hands. I've been trying higher weights lower reps because I can usually do 3-5 before I completely lose my grip, but I'm frustrated with a lack of progress. I have lifting gloves and they help with everything except deadlifts. I thought about getting grips, but it seems like cheating and I would rather just build up the grip strength to do deadlifts without grips.

Suggestions?

Also, sorry for hijacking your thread! It's great to see women lifting heavy! I smile every time a guy doesn't rerack his squat weights and I have to add weight for mine :)

Have you tried straps?
  • SqautsAndOats
    Options
    BUMPING so i can watch when i get home from work, youtube is blocked.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I love you :)
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    NICELY DONE FIRST OFF!!

I DL 185lbs as well. You def wanted to get your butt a little lower because you want your chest and head up which will keep you from rounding your back. Keep it up and remember Form over Reps.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options

Suggestions?

To get the best grip on a DL you can do one hand over and one hand under. I use that when I rep out the high weight
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    My 1RM deadlift is 190+. I rep out 150 at 4 sets of 8 reps right now.

Great job though. You already know this, but your back is definitely curved on the deads. I try to consciously think about flattening it when lifting, particularly such a heavy lift.

Another thing, you might find you lift better with much different shoes. Those look like running shoes to me.. I'd get a pair of classic converse chucks as they have no padding and are supportive. Or I lift in Vibram Five Fingers a lot because there is nothing between me and the ground (next best thing to barefoot in a gym where that's not allowed).

Great job lifting heavy!