question RE: sedentary, lightly active, etc etc

Options
2»

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a food scale to see if you are eating more than you think.

it's been on my list, but budget is super tight, it's something I HAVE to hold back on (I'm not going to get a 10 dollar scale, if I can help it)
    http://www.rd.com/slideshows/what-does-a-serving-size-look-like/
    This may help and it doesn't cost anything.
  • kgraham101
    kgraham101 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Can you explain to me what TDEE is?
    [/quote]

Total daily energy expenditure. :)
  • marbly
    marbly Posts: 103
    Options
    Your exercise isn't supposed to count towards that setting. If you get extra calories because you put "active" AND you get extra calories from exercise, you're going to be eating too much.

Actually it can be. It's a different approach. This one works a bit better as you aren't chasing your exercise calories if you workout late at night.

And in fact, I have done this method for well over 100 people with success in losing weight.
    No, what I'm saying is you have to choose one method.
    got it, sorry about that. I misread it.

Is my method correct?

My BMR is around 1300, I'm eating NET 1350 per day. So, on active days when I burn a lot, I eat back all my exercise cals and on non-work out days, I eat less obviously which means that my gross cals per day could range anywhere from 1300 up to 2500.

OR is your method of using TDEE more successful for weight loss? I can't tell because I have just started lifting and I have gained weight. I suspect it has been water weight though as I was doing a lot of cardio as well.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a food scale to see if you are eating more than you think.

it's been on my list, but budget is super tight, it's something I HAVE to hold back on (I'm not going to get a 10 dollar scale, if I can help it)
    http://www.rd.com/slideshows/what-does-a-serving-size-look-like/
    This may help and it doesn't cost anything.

great, I'll look at this when I'm at home, thank you
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Go to http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html and figure out your TDEE including exercise, they take off 20% and eat that amount but don't eat extra for the exercise you do. That is what I am doing, and I am losing just fine. Much easier for me. You will likely find you are eating a fair amount more.

Crikey just done mine on there and i'm supposed to be eating 2231 i don't even eat 2000 on a daily basis with exercise calories :s

Did you take off the 20%? Just making sure.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    question for my MFPer friends: for your lifestyle (sedentary, lightly active, mod. active, very active), do you or do you not log your exercise if you are including that in your lifestyle? I just switched to mod. active based on my level of working out/sports I do during the week, and wasn't sure if I'm supposed to ALSO include the cals burned from them or if that would just be doubling the output on here...

If exercise is in your TDEE calculation like yours, you dont eat back exercise calories. If you notice you aren't losing, then it might be under calculating but you can add 200 calories for a month to see if that jump starts the lose again.

Can you explain to me what TDEE is?

TDEE is the total amount of energy you expend throughout the day. So it's your metabolic rate + lifestyle + exercise.

http://www.shapefit.com/basal-metabolic-rate.html
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Your exercise isn't supposed to count towards that setting. If you get extra calories because you put "active" AND you get extra calories from exercise, you're going to be eating too much.

Actually it can be. It's a different approach. This one works a bit better as you aren't chasing your exercise calories if you workout late at night.

And in fact, I have done this method for well over 100 people with success in losing weight.
    No, what I'm saying is you have to choose one method.
    got it, sorry about that. I misread it.

Is my method correct?

My BMR is around 1300, I'm eating NET 1350 per day. So, on active days when I burn a lot, I eat back all my exercise cals and on non-work out days, I eat less obviously which means that my gross cals per day could range anywhere from 1300 up to 2500.

OR is your method of using TDEE more successful for weight loss? I can't tell because I have just started lifting and I have gained weight. I suspect it has been water weight though as I was doing a lot of cardio as well.

Whats your deficit set at? It's hard to tell without more information.

Generally though, for you it should be BMR * lifestyle + 50-75% of exercise calories (if MFP is calculating) - 250 (1/2 lb deficit) = total calories needed.