hard to believe

Options
I still can't believe how easy it is to gain weight. I worked so hard to drop 3 measly pounds and this weekend had dinner out 2 nites to celebrate 2 separate things and gained 2 pounds back! I feel like I'll never be able to indulge again. For 3 weeks I DID NOT cheat 1 day--I really thought I could get away with the celebrations this weekend. Dumb Dumb. Thanks for letting me vent.

Replies

• cellorocker
    Options
    It's alright, just get right back on track.
    Today is a new day.
    Good luck!
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    Umm you do know that body weight fluctuates daily anywhere from 1-5lbs so I wouldnt worry to much about it 3500 calories equals 1lb I seriously doubt you ate 3500 calories over your bmi noway:noway: :noway:
  • wks7777
    wks7777 Posts: 230
    Options
    It does suck how that works doesnt it!But today is a new day, u can do it!
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I second Shanta! The scale should go back down just stay on track and drink a lot of water...

~Leash :heart:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I second Shanta! The scale should go back down just stay on track and drink a lot of water...

I'll third that! :laugh:
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    What did you eat? Did it have a lot of sodium in it? It could be water weight. Drink LOTS of water and flush it out of your system.:smile:
  • Xannthippe
    Xannthippe Posts: 126 Member
    Options

I'll third that! :laugh:
    I fourth that!!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain 2 pounds, you retained a quart of water. Did you eat something salty at those parties? I love mexican, and it's not bad on the cals if you watch the cheesy sauces, but it's salty and I'm always up a pound or 2 the next day.

Think about this - a pound of bodyfat is basically 3500 calories. Now I'm gonna throw a dart and guess that your maintenance level is maybe 2400 calories a day - so MFP has you on maybe 1400 calories a day for a 1000 a day calorie deficit, and you should lose 2 pounds a week. Pretty close?

So - to really gain back a real, legitimate pound of bodyfat, you would have to eat you allowance, plus the deficit, plus the 3500 calories for the pound. That's close to 6000 calories. Say that out loud - SIX THOUSAND CALORIES. That's pretty much a whole birthday cake, plus the candles,,, and maybe a present or two. Now double that for your 2 pounds and that's an awful lot of food. Is there any way in the world you "accidentally" ate 12,000 calories in 2 days?!?! Didn't think so.

Relax - you're doing fine - watch the long term trend, not the day bay day.
  • twilight1542
    Options
    I still can't believe how easy it is to gain weight. I worked so hard to drop 3 measly pounds and this weekend had dinner out 2 nites to celebrate 2 separate things and gained 2 pounds back! I feel like I'll never be able to indulge again. For 3 weeks I DID NOT cheat 1 day--I really thought I could get away with the celebrations this weekend. Dumb Dumb. Thanks for letting me vent.

Ru sure it's not water weight (a lot of restaurants use high amounts of sodium that makes us retain water) or maybe your TOM is nearing. Just a thought.....I highly doubt you could have gained that much weight simply from a few meals out, unless you gorged yourself. This is partially from personal experience. I gave up eating out in March and started hear in June. In the last 2 weeks I have eaten out at a restaurant 3 times in the past 2 weeks. 1 buffet lunch for a baby shower, 1 dinner out with an old friend, 1 work dinner. I had very little control of menu choice, so I did the best I could.....Despite this, and even a few bites of a mud pie dessert, I still lost 2 lbs this week and last week.
  • Laine
    Laine Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    thanks--you guys rock! just needed some reassurance that it can't happen that easily. Whew--what a relief!:tongue: