Never meet potassium goal -- not even close

Options
fmbomzo
fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
I have not been able to meet my potassium goal since I've been logging on MFP. Are there any suggestions for potassium rich foods or food combinations that boost potassium. I'm concerned about the possible effects of too little potassium over time. I've had bouts of foot cramps and I wonder if that is the reason behind them.

I thought things like bananas were high in potassium, but I don't want to gorge out on a particular food. I'd like an arsenal of different foods I can incorporate to meet the needed levels.

Advice??

Replies

• brk_1982
    brk_1982 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I was worried about this too - then I found that reporting potassium as part of nutritional information is not a requirement, therefore many products and items in the database do not have potassium information. Just google potassium-rich foods and eat more of them. A dietician told me that if you are eating a well-balanced diet, you are probably getting enough potassium. Hope this helps.
  • fmbomzo
    Options
    That's a relief. Thanks for sharing. I know people who've had potassium deficiencies that landed them in the emergency room. I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track.
  • Quel1970
    Quel1970 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Coconut water is very high in potassium. The taste is so-so but I heard there are now some coconut waters with added flavors.
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Also bananas. If you want to be sure about your potassium levels, NOW makes a potassium magnesium combination herb that is really good. I have been taking it for 2 years because I'm always low.
  • justplainoleanne
    justplainoleanne Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My oldest son has seizures when his potassium gets low. We have started getting him dried apricots. Six a day is almost 100% of your potassium. He is not having seizures, but we still have to watch him carefully. He is 25 and works out of doors most of the time.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't rely on MFP numbers for potassium - it's not usually on food labels, so I can't add it to any new foods.
    If you have a particular reason to watch potassium, then google "high potassium foods" and make sure you get plenty of these in your day.
  • fmbomzo
    Options
    All of the comments are really helpful. Thank you!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Legumes, greens, potatoes, crucifers, berries/kiwi.

I turned on the potassium column in my diary for someone else. Have a peek if you like.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I track potassium because I get muscle cramps when I run low in it, and I do tend to run low in it. I use the food without the * if I can find one that fits, because those usually have the K included.
  • ECA67
    ECA67 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Moderation is key ! Always have your levels checked first. Too much K+ can stop your heart. It is what's used for capital punishment by lethal injection.
  • tracylelak
    Options
    I too worry about potassium! my levels at one point were 2.5 and my heart went crazy and i had to be cardioverted for it (200 joules and i was still awake and very aware). i take 20 meq potassium pills now and my levels seem to be a happy 4.0. i wish i knew why i lose potassium *sigh*
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Moderation is key ! Always have your levels checked first. Too much K+ can stop your heart. It is what's used for capital punishment by lethal injection.

yes, and half a cup of salt will kill you too. But nobody's injecting the stuff, and too little will kill you also. It's how arsenic works: you throw up till you die of potessium deficiency.

Bananas, yes. Kiwifruit - even better. Cucumber, strawberries, sweet potatoes I believe have the highest levels, apricots have already been mentioned, oranges or orange juice, beet leaves, dates, raisins, yoghurt, tomatoes...

You're probably getting enough. if you start getting foot cramps go eat a punnet of strawberries. ;)
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    fruits, veggies and meat is high in potassium :3
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Mine was low too, so I made room in my calories for a cup of OJ every day, and I am having a bowl of V8 low sodium. That has 26% of the daily value, and the OJ has 13%. Just don't take a supplement for potassium without being told to by a doctor.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    It's super rare to get an extra high potassium by diet. Not sayin' it can't happen -- but it's pretty unlikely. I asked a doc a while back, and he said it was almost always a medical issue or a drug issue when people had extra.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    No, meat is not high in potassium.

Here's a site broken down by food groups with charts so you can pick the higher potassium items out of each of your food groups.

http://healthyeatingclub.com/info/books-phds/books/foodfacts/html/data/data5b.html

fruits, veggies and meat is high in potassium :3
  • mountntoppin
    Options
    Low potassium is a very serious condition. If you are having symptoms such as muscle twitching or low energy you may want to see a Dr. asap. If you have not been active and all of a sudden are very active this can help to deplete your body of potassium. In addition most types of diuretics deplete the body of potassium. Potassium supplements can only be prescribed by your Dr because too much can also be fatal.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I could of wrote ur post myself and was going to but decided to search first. :)

I have this issue and found that OJ, died fruits (apricots, raisens), tea, all have higher potassium. I am trying to get more protein so I having been paying attention to potassium until this week.
  • Hood25
    Hood25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Coconut water is very high in potassium. The taste is so-so but I heard there are now some coconut waters with added flavors.

Love coconut water. It tasted funny at first but now I love it. Great way to add potassium and hydrate yourself.
  • cflentke
    cflentke Posts: 2
    Options
    I once was using slim fast twice a day and my potassium levels went too high. My doctor said no more slim fast and the vanilla
    flavor has the most potassium.:blushing: