Lost 7 lbs since last Thursday by eating MORE!

Options

Replies

• _Brandy_
    _Brandy_ Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about upping my intake as well. I've been at a stall for about a month. How do you know how much more to increase?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Click on my name for my profile.

I have a link you can use to a very good calculator for calories.
    This is the link that brought me out of the low calorie fog and into the real world of dieting to lose fat.

BTW my High Calorie group just posted their first measure up and so far 99% have lost Body Fat % by eating higher cals.
    This stuff works!

Isnt physiology fun?
  • Gaby5050
    Gaby5050 Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm so afraid to eat more calories!It says I should eat 1500 cal. And then when I enter my exercise it says I still have to eat 400 cal more.How can I eat 1900 cal and still lose weight?Please help My weight right now is 197 and I want to lose 50 more pounds!
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    bump
  • valorieflowers
    Options
    I hear a lot of talk about upping calories, is that only really effective for people working out pretty intensely? or maybe people eating so little calories that they are starving. I would think it wouldn't help someone only doing a light amount of exercise. Like me, I am on 1700 calories (I am 5'10", so it's not all that much) and I am just doing 30 minutes of cardio 3x/week. I am guessing eating more calories would not have the same effect in this case, am I right?
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Click on my name for my profile.

I have a link you can use to a very good calculator for calories.
    This is the link that brought me out of the low calorie fog and into the real world of dieting to lose fat.

BTW my High Calorie group just posted their first measure up and so far 99% have lost Body Fat % by eating higher cals.
    This stuff works!

Isnt physiology fun?

Thanks for the link, I'm going to up my calories according to there figures and see how it goes. :smile: Thanks
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    How are you guys losing so much weight in a week??? 7lbs??? I've been extremely faithful to this program for 12 days now ...measuring everything....drinking the water....switching to lowfat products & 1% milk from 2%...etc & I'm working out 6 days a week...and NOTHING!! I'm getting quite frustrated. Even when I tried to switch around my goals it wont let me lose any more than 1.5 lbs a week even though I chose 2lbs a week..and I still only get a net of 1200 calories no matter what I choose. Whats up? Help please...I'm having major surgery on April 19th & was hoping to have lost some weight by then...ty in advance.

Choose no more than 1 lb. a week, AND eat your exercise calories. use that guy's link (Helloitsdan). seriously. Starving doesn't work.
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    I hope this works. ive currently been eating 1200 calories a day and trying to not eat back my exercise calories-some days i do. ;)

If I get this right:my TDEE # is 2260.
    My BMR # is 2013.
    So I SHOULD be eating between 2013-2260 calories a day?

EX. i choose to eat 2150 calories a day(between my 2 #'s),
    but i exercise and burn 430 calories today.
    Brings me back down to 1720 cals a day.
    I should eat back that 430 exercise cals?

PLS help me........

YES EAT YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!! you should be eating a NET total of 2013-2260 per day. yes. yes. yes. yes.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    That's very motivating! I also upped my cals - I got tired of eating only 1250 cals (before eating my exercise cals back)... we'll see what that shows for me next week :happy: I'm a hungry girl! haha!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs from October to February by following low cal (1200/day and eating back exercise calories), I stalled and lost/gained the same 5 lbs for a month. I decided to try something different so I increased my calories to 1700 (which is a little over my BMR) last week and since increasing my calories and continuing to eat back all of my exercise calories I have continually lost a pound a day for the last week!!! :D

I can understand maybe losing 1 or 2 lbs in a week but 7!? This is great! I hope weight loss lasts like this for at least another week! Then I'm ok with seeing a 1 to 2 pound loss a week again!

Sometimes when it appears you have hit a plateau, your body holds water to displace the fat that has been burned. I think, maybe, to be able to replace it quickly if need be. Maybe your body says.. "ok I have more calories so I guess I'm not going to starve" then releases the water. I doubt you are burning 3500 more calories than you are taking in each day. Keep going!!:bigsmile:
  • GB333
    GB333 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! And congratulations!!

I just upped my calories, too and I hope I am as successful as you have been! :)
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I hear a lot of talk about upping calories, is that only really effective for people working out pretty intensely? or maybe people eating so little calories that they are starving. I would think it wouldn't help someone only doing a light amount of exercise. Like me, I am on 1700 calories (I am 5'10", so it's not all that much) and I am just doing 30 minutes of cardio 3x/week. I am guessing eating more calories would not have the same effect in this case, am I right?

This is also my question because I'm admittedly very sedentary. I get in what I can, when I can, which comes out to twice as much as I did before joining MFP, but I didn't even include exercise in my goals because it's so irregular. That's not going to change any time soon due to my schedule/life style, so I'm worried that changing my formula is only going to send me backwards. How do you know when to up your calories?
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    Options
    Very interesting. I can't quite figure out what I need to do to fix my plateau...I have upped my calories, downed my calories and now I'm working out 2 hours a day. How frustrating. Glad that adding calories helped you!!
  • smcesko
    smcesko Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.. Well I guess I'm not going to get too upset about going over my calories today on MFP. :-)
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    Very interesting. I can't quite figure out what I need to do to fix my plateau...I have upped my calories, downed my calories and now I'm working out 2 hours a day. How frustrating. Glad that adding calories helped you!!

don't make your changes too quickly, or you will never know.

make a change and commit to it for at least 1 month. your body needs time to adjust. when I upped calories after chronic (years) of undereating, I gained at first, but then I lost 12 lbs. in 3 mos. and have maintained within 2 lbs. of goal ever since.

blessings.
  • LilysMom28
    LilysMom28 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    thats exactly what happend to me. I lost about 12lbs being at 1200 calories a day. Then I would lose and gain the same stupid 5lbs!! A friend on here told me I was eating way to few calories. I just uped it to 1700 today. I'm hoping to have the same success you are!!!

Good luck everyone!
  • persilcolours
    persilcolours Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DamaliAsabyiKioni
    DamaliAsabyiKioni Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ninalovinglife
    Options
    how do you up your calories? I have been on MFP and lost 12 pounds and 5 inches but thats it then I have gained 3 pounds back i am stuck
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I am SO glad you posted this. I'm currently in an arguement (a nasty one at that) on another thread about this very subject. I've lost a lot of weight (as you can see) and I didn't do any of it by starving myself.

I realized on that other thread, that hungry people are very mean :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!