How long did it take you?

Options
nelbie
nelbie Posts: 33 Member
I am 230lbs and 5'3.75". My pants are about size 16 (US). My GW is 120 based on height alone. That leaves me with 110lbs to lose. How long did it take you to lose this much weight? I am guessing a year for me but I need some help with putting this into perspective. Giving myself a solid year to get with the program and not fall off the wagon.

Replies

• MissRoz
    MissRoz Posts: 4
    Options
    I have only been successful in the weight I've lost so far. But the idea is that a healthy weight loss is no more than 2 pounds a week...meaning 104lb weight loss in a year is a completely rational goal! If you fall off the wagon, oh well, just keep going. I've found with me losing weight is almost like dealing with an addiction. You have to take it one day at a time and if you don't get the results that you want when you want, if you just keep giving up you'll always be back at square one.

It took me almost six months to lose 25 little pounds...from 242 to 217. I was a little disappointed with myself BUT I was 25 pounds lighter regardless and thats better than nothing. Well when I got into nursing school I gained almost all the weight back. Back up to almost 240. I decided that I need to be committed to myself and with the GREAT help of MFP and its calorie counter, I lost all the weight I gained back in less than three months...20lbs...

I plateaued in Feb because school was getting stressful and it was my birthday so I attended a lot of places with friends and family that revolved around food. And even though I would be good for a few days the scale wouldn't budge which I found discouraging and would give in even more. But I decided that no matter what the scale said I would push through and keep fighting the good fight and sure enough I lost 3 pounds this week.

I wish you all the best in your health!
  • Koshkaxo
    Koshkaxo Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Take it in smaller steps :) Why not aim for a week of committed healthy eating habits? Add one or two 30 min workouts into that same week and see how much better you'll feel. Trying to drop and then maintain a +12 lb a month (or 3 lb a week) is very rapid weight loss. Aim for even 1 lb a week. You can slowly take 2 or 3 years to reach your goal and learn to maintain it over a lifetime. No rush <3
  • Mabohlale
    Mabohlale Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It took me 13 months to lose 88 pounds; so about 1.5 pounds a week. That was when I was 39. Then I had three pregnancies and two C-sections ... lol ... Now I need to lose another 40 pounds again. =) I'm 48 years old this time around, so I am planning on it taking longer ... slower metabolism, pre-menopausal and all. I'm figuring that I'm looking at about 18 months to lose this 40. Not going to set myself up for a fall with big expectations that are unrealistic for my age, body type, and season of life. It's a lifetime commitment to fitness anyway, so it doesn't really matter how long it takes. I'm on this journey for good! =)
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    it has taken me 15 months to lose 86 pounds but i have fallen off the wagon a few times and didnt discover mfp until january this year so 24 pounds of the 86 are in the last 12 weeks my advice would be to set yourself small targets to hit rather than the whole amount as it can seem a million miles off when you first start this is how my goals went

1st 10% of my body weight
    2nd 50 pounds
    3rd getting out of the obese weight range on wiifit
    4th lowest weight i achieved on previous diets
    5th pre pregnancy weight (ive had 4 kids but talking about before i ever had kids as ive used being a mum as an excuse to be overweight)
    6th a weight that i could live with if i cant get any further (14 pound off achieving this goal)
    7th ideal weight range (fingers crossed i reach this this year)

doing it this way has worked for me if (when) i reach the finish line i will have lost 127 pounds i no this wont work for everybody and you may well think its a daft idea but it helps to hear lots of ideas just find what works best for you and good luck x
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!