I have a confession.. -shameface-

Options
I can't swim.
Well, I am not confident in my swimming abilities, nor am I confident in the way my body looks wearing a bathing suit.
But, I really wanna swim.
So, what now?

Replies

• AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    You don't have to wear a bathing suit to swim. Buy you some swim shorts and wear a t-shirt.. If you want to get better at swimming, take swimming lessons again. It'll never hurt to up your swimming level.
  • manda1002
    manda1002 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I can't swim either, but that doesn't keep me out of the water. I wear a maternity bathing suit top (because they fit SO MUCH BETTER for big girls, imo) and just a pair of shorts. Just being in the water in general is an amazing work out. We snorkel and the calories burned snorkeling is crazy!
  • groovyfirechick
    Options
    I usually wear a tank top and shorts when I go swimming. I don't like what I look like in a bathing suit.
  • flopsy1973
    Options
    I know how you feel. I can swim but i haven't been for years. I want to go again but i am a bit self conscious about all my saggy bits (after losing almost 7 stone) :smile:
  • blueeyedcristi
    blueeyedcristi Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    We're headed for vacation in Hawaii in less than a month. Will I look as good as I did the last time we were there ('09)? No. But I'm not going to let my weight get in the way of my vacation/escape. I'm going to relax and enjoy myself.

Looks like some great recommendations for you so far. I'll add that you should take some swimming lessons.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    there are really cute women's board shorts that you wear with a bathing suit. They provide downstairs coverage. Also, gave the confidence to get in the pool and feel AWESOME. Also they are cute and people compliment me on them all the time. Many styles and lengths available on amazon :)
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I did deep water aerobics a couple of weeks ago and was so surprised to see a lady in the class who told me she doesn't swim. She was wearing a flotation belt ( supplied by the pool) and kept close to the edge but she loves the class and goes regularly. It was great to see her not let her inability to swim keep her from getting in and having a go. She said the belt made her feel safe and the instructor was right there;, she knew the lady couldn't swim.
    As for your attire, I always wear boardies over my bather, no one is seeing these legs.
    Go for it, enjoy.
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Az, kinda embarassed to get swimming lessons period, "Uh, yeah, I'm twenty-two, and I need swimming lessons, because I don't know how to swim.." Yeah, I'm scared they're gonna laugh at me. I'll probably check Walmart for some trunks or something, and just wear a binder ontop.

Manda, I'll definately go try to check that out; I mean, I want to learn to swim, so this is something new and fun.

GFC, yeah, I'm thinking that's probably the way to go right now.

Flopsy, I mean, I can swim a little bit, but if I fell off a boat, I'd be a goner! Yeah, am nervous, do not like the way my body looks.

BEC, That's a good idea; I need to just relax, because sometimes I wig myself out. I'm gonna go look at swimming lessons now. I wonder how much they cost..
  • manda1002
    manda1002 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    We're headed for vacation in Hawaii in less than a month. Will I look as good as I did the last time we were there ('09)? No. But I'm not going to let my weight get in the way of my vacation/escape. I'm going to relax and enjoy myself.

Looks like some great recommendations for you so far. I'll add that you should take some swimming lessons.

Hahaha I live in Hawaii, and trust me, I'm a big girl, but there are bigger girls than me wearing 2 piece bikinis on the beach. Power to them for being able to do it. I would be buried under the sand the whole time lol! I hope you have a FANTASTIC time!
  • takehimaway
    Options
    AJ, I try not to wear women's clothes, as I'm in process of flipping back and forth from transitioning to male, or just living a butch life. I'll go check Amazon right now.

JB, what are deep water aerobics? I could definately try something; I won a year long gym membership, so it is a possibility for sure. I have a great tattoo on my leg, which I love to show off, but my legs are kinda gross looking. Thanks, doll.
  • takehimaway
    Options

Hahaha I live in Hawaii, and trust me, I'm a big girl, but there are bigger girls than me wearing 2 piece bikinis on the beach. Power to them for being able to do it. I would be buried under the sand the whole time lol! I hope you have a FANTASTIC time!

I'm too scared to even fly to Hawaii! I was talking to my therapist yesterday about swimming, and she said that if I wanted to stay local [PDX/VAN], I could do so, if I just went over to the other side of town, to play in the lakes and stuff, seriously thinking about it.
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Check with your pool/gym for the different types of water aerobics, they are great for a calorie burn. The deep water one is just that, it is exercising in water over your head and a lot of people in the class wear the flotation belt whether they can swim or not.
    There are other water aerobics in shallower water, you can still wear a device if you want, some do.
    Talk to them , get some swimming lessons and do some water activities to boost your confidence.
    Go for it.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    AJ, I try not to wear women's clothes, as I'm in process of flipping back and forth from transitioning to male, or just living a butch life. I'll go check Amazon right now.

JB, what are deep water aerobics? I could definately try something; I won a year long gym membership, so it is a possibility for sure. I have a great tattoo on my leg, which I love to show off, but my legs are kinda gross looking. Thanks, doll.

During transition there are men's board shorts and shirts called "rash guards or sun guards" that are available in men's cuts. (amazon or speedo or nike swim) :)
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and I can't swim, either. No biggie. There are worse things in life.
  • 1kerriberri
    Options
    thats right, bugga the bathing suit, just get some swim shorts and a shirt and before you learn to swim , the most important thing to do is get in, get wet, splash around and have some FUN xx Its all about building confidence. go with a friend who will make you feel safe.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Take lessons! No tips for you on the bathing suits though. :) I would have told you to go for a cute one piece, but that doens't fit your style.

It is never too late. My sister took lessons at 29. My parents are still avoiding it like the plague.

Grab some swim shorts/trunks and a tank and get out there! A good friend of mine teaches water aerobics and has a blast taking recommendations for music. He started teaching it about a year ago, and it is a new found passion for him.
  • Chinajane
    Chinajane Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You might try a local Jr college, sometimes they have swimming lessons as an exercise class and a semester's tuition for such a class usually isn't too much.
  • janessac
    janessac Posts: 77
    Options
    I'm a lifeguard/swimming instructor and I teach adult swim lessons. I have people from age 17-70 who want to learn to swim but simply never learned or had the opportunity. There's no shame and the lessons are very fun and non-judgmental, it's never too late to learn something new! Ask you local pool about adult swim lessons (which often take place after public swim so that the lessons are more private, therefore making it more comfortable). Give it a try, it's so fun and a great workout! :)
  • takehimaway
    Options
    JB, yeah, I'm thinking I need a floatation device!! I'll definately be checking out the gym soon!

AJ, I suppose I'll have to go shopping soon; it's almost summer!

A, of course there are worse things in life, but I still feel ashamed.

KB, that's what I may do; my [former/current/who knows] girlfriend was a lifeguard for sometime, and she said she'd teach me before we split, but we're talking again, so I hope she can.

J, I'm going to do so. Thanks. http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2008-05-01-swimming-minorities_N.htm Have you read this, re :: your parents? I think that is so interesting to think about it. Can you swim? It is never too late, and I think I shall be okay. I suppose I'm going to see what 24 Hour Fitness has to offer, when I finally get my paperwork; I won a year membership, and am just waiting on the details. I could do water aerobics, me thinks, so this is going to be exciting.

CJ, I could see; there is one closer to my house, and see what they want from me. Thanks for the tip; I hadn't thought of it.
  • takehimaway
    Options
    J, really? This is good and comforting to hear. Thanks, I'm excited.

So, speaking with not-girlfriend...

Me
    12:54 AM Can you still teach me to swim?
    Harmony
    12:54 AM I would love to

So, I'm going to learn to swim!