Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Any 3rd shift workers out there?

I'm a 3rd shift worker, and I eat at WEIRD times... On MFP, my breakfast is actually my lunch break at work... my lunch is something when I get off work, then my dinner is actually around dinner time for most people! I keep around my calorie goal, or under most of the time, and I work maintenance at a hospital. I do get to walk around a lot, but there's a lot of sitting and BS'ing here. So, I put "sedentary lifestyle" into MFP just because we do have days here with not much to do. Just wondered if there's anybody out there with a similar situation, that's all! Nice to hear this thing's working for people out there! Keep it up all!

Replies

• almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    ya... same here. I just add my food to random spots. It said I ate 800 cals for breaky but I didint, it was only 500!!

So when I put down that I had a Scotch for breaky, it was actually my night time lol
  • babbgirl1975
    babbgirl1975 Posts: 36 Member
    I work midnight shift. So it's really weird for me! It's been a constant struggle to find what works for me! Hopefully I'm getting there. I'm starting to feel like I'm making progress!
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    *kitten*...I mean shift worker here! My diary usually reads weird too, but you can make it work for you while working 3rd. Just look @ my results:laugh:
  • Koshkaxo
    Koshkaxo Posts: 332 Member
    I work off a 3 dayshift, then 3 nightshift style shifts. I try to keep my eating intervals the same time apart whether it is am or pm.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Hi welcome! I have been for over 2 years. I started on my weight loss journey about 6 months into working the Graveyard shift. On days I work I eat 2x a day. During work and at home usually 2-3 hrs before I go to bed. I found above all else, sleep is key when it come to weight loss. In the past when I am tired, I'd eat and eat to help me stay awake while @ work. Forget exercising too. There's a MFP group here for night working folks

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/508-night-crawlers
  • Cobehale
    Cobehale Posts: 54 Member
    Hi welcome! I have been for over 2 years. I started on my weight loss journey about 6 months into working the Graveyard shift. On days I work I eat 2x a day. During work and at home usually 2-3 hrs before I go to bed. I found above all else, sleep is key when it come to weight loss. In the past when I am tired, I'd eat and eat to help me stay awake while @ work. Forget exercising too. There's a MFP group here for night working folks

that is exactly me! I could feel my butt expanding from all the sitting and munching! :) Not enough sleep will affect your metabolism too, not to mention mood and energy. Midnight shift is hard on a body.
  • jaydubbayu
    jaydubbayu Posts: 456
    I know it's an uphill battle with 3rd shift being an obstacle... I almost feel satisfied that if I keep up with this journal, and get a decent share of exercise, I don't mind if it takes longer to lose weight. Just feeling better, healthier, and sleeping better are all satisfying!
  • Stixx28
    Stixx28 Posts: 55
    Rough hours for sure, I'm on 4 - 12s right now. Change every 6 weeks. Makes workouts and calorie counting tough!
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    I just go in order of it's listing regardless if it's really truly breakfast or not: if it's the first food I've after and it's after midnight: that's breakfast. And so on.

I just keep track of within a 24 hour period. Don't really call the meals what they really are.

Hardest one is Sunday night/ Monday morning. I rarely go to bed (because that's my Friday night), so I "go over my calories' when actually it's really been 1 1/2 days of eating/ being awake!

As long as I know what's going on, that's all that matters.
  • Cobehale
    Cobehale Posts: 54 Member
    I just go in order of it's listing regardless if it's really truly breakfast or not: if it's the first food I've after and it's after midnight: that's breakfast. And so on.

I just keep track of within a 24 hour period. Don't really call the meals what they really are.

Hardest one is Sunday night/ Monday morning. I rarely go to bed (because that's my Friday night), so I "go over my calories' when actually it's really been 1 1/2 days of eating/ being awake!

As long as I know what's going on, that's all that matters.

that's me too! My Sunday morning is the beginning of my days off and I rarely sleep. Add to it, that now my family expects me to eat with them and suddenly there are extra meals where normally I wouldn't eat AND that is when all the family gatherings happen! So my Sundays are always screwed up :sick:

I have modified the names of my meals to show a general time when I eat them, that is helping me keep it straight in my head as I don't always have a chance to log it right away.
  • jaydubbayu
    jaydubbayu Posts: 456
    I work every other weekend... So it's hard to really say what's what sometimes. All I can do is keep track, and try to be good! It keeps in perspective what I'm doing, and how ahead/behind of progress I am! I'm not quite working out as much as I need to, but that'll change when I don't have to get my daughter off to school in the mornings!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Full time CNA working 10pm to 6am.... I sleep from 9am to 4pm. Do my workouts in the AM right after work. Eat breakfast @ 4pm maybe a snack around 6pm then lunch @ 9pm. Eat my lunch @ work between 1:30am and 3pm whatever time I get a lunch break. I wouldn't trade night shift for anything... I get to enjoy the mornings if I want to... But what I like most is that I get to enjoy the evenings. While most ppl have to go to bed early so then can get up early I get to stay up on my nights off and do whatever I want :D I've made it work and I've done 1st shift for over 2 years when I worked factory jobs. I worked 2nd shift part time and hated it I couldn't get into doin anything bc I had to get ready and go to work... I have found that night shift is the best shift!!! It really really works the best for me!!!
  • babbgirl1975
    My Friday's are also Sunday night (monday morning). I dispatch from 11pm-7am. My days off are Monday & Tuesday. So when I work Sunday night and get off Monday morning that is the start of my weekend. I go back Wednesday night. The hardest tracking days are Monday's because I eat Sunday night & then Monday as well since I don't want to completely sleep away one of my days off. I try to eat lighter though, Sunday & Monday so I don't go too much over goal. But it usually balances out because on Wednesday when I go back to work, I'm catching up on sleep & come in alot more under goal. I can't wait til I'm able to get off this shift. 3 years now & it still sucks!
  • babbgirl1975
    Full time CNA working 10pm to 6am.... I sleep from 9am to 4pm. Do my workouts in the AM right after work. Eat breakfast @ 4pm maybe a snack around 6pm then lunch @ 9pm. Eat my lunch @ work between 1:30am and 3pm whatever time I get a lunch break. I wouldn't trade night shift for anything... I get to enjoy the mornings if I want to... But what I like most is that I get to enjoy the evenings. While most ppl have to go to bed early so then can get up early I get to stay up on my nights off and do whatever I want :D I've made it work and I've done 1st shift for over 2 years when I worked factory jobs. I worked 2nd shift part time and hated it I couldn't get into doin anything bc I had to get ready and go to work... I have found that night shift is the best shift!!! It really really works the best for me!!!

I know what you mean about 2nd shift. I did that before coming to mids. I'm not a fan of working midnight shift but it is better than evening as far as having time to do stuff. I NEVER had time for anything on that shift and I never saw my family. I'd like mids better if I had weekends off cuz I miss everything there.
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Oh yeah! I work Graveyard shifts 3-4 times a week then turn around and go to the university 5 days a week for classes. You can change your diary settings to different meal titles.. With my weird weekly schedule I just set mine up as "Meal One, Meal Two..." etc. On days I go to class and work graveyards I do a Midnight to Midnight schedule for my food diary, even though I am still up & working when a new day starts. Feel free to add me!
  • sosdenton
    sosdenton Posts: 15 Member
    Also a third shifter. I go in and switch my meals to 1100-0300, 0300-0700, 0700-1100, 11-0300
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member

that is exactly me! I could feel my butt expanding from all the sitting and munching! :) Not enough sleep will affect your metabolism too, not to mention mood and energy. Midnight shift is hard on a body.

i work 3rd shift also
    i definitely don't eat well when I am tired

there is a thread here on the forums for nightshifters called

the officialnightshift thread
  • DDD86
    DDD86 Posts: 3 Member
    So happy to see I'm not alone! I'm only on day 2 and it's amazing how much over goal I am in calories. I chose to look at my meals in a 24 hour period as well regardless of what I was eating. Midnight to midnight is how I plan to keep track. Telling myself no to the goodies as work is a big challenge as is the days where it seems like all I do is eat. I find I have to eat something small shortly before going to bed or I wake up too early hungry and then can't fall back to sleep. I'm worried that's part of my problem. My other goal is to fit exercise 3x/wk into my schedule. It's so easy to find excuses to not exercise. I have 3 kids, a husband who travels frequently, often over seas, and work three 12 hour night shifts a week. Between household chores, carting kids around, paying bills, etc, etc, finding time for me is hard. I'm looking forward to a place of support. My goal is to lose 15 pounds by August 13 when my husband and I leave for a trip to Paris! It's also my birthday.
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    I am on 3rd shift tonight

need coffee...:drinker:
  • I wish MFP would let you set when a day starts and ends. I go to bed at 11am and wake up at 8pm, I want my day to start then. Right now I just log what I'm eating on the next day so when the clock hits 12:00 I'm on the same day.