Gone to far? Cleaning?

Options

Replies

• shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I believe I've only wiped down the physical door itself when someone got sick and some throw up landed on it (gross I know). I do however attack the doorknobs and various other surfaces with Lysol wipes whenever people in the house get sick since they're commonly touched household objects that can easily and unknowingly spread germs.

I've actually been bitten by the cleaning bug this evening and I'm hoping to do a complete overhaul on my house while my husband is away this week to not mess it up for me. Haha
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding me? She obviously hasn't cleaned a house before lucky her. What does she thinks happens to all the dirty marks from peoples hands touching doors? Same as walls, door frames and light switches. Fairies dont come in the night and spot clean that stuff off. I am nowhere near OCD in fact I am an utter slob but even I clean those areas.
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Not weird. Totally Necessary. I'm obsessive about cleaning the lightbulbs and the dust on top of door frames. Speaking of which.... I need to do that... and maybe I'll wipe down the doors too.
  • creative1981
    creative1981 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Yup..along with the skirting boards and anywhere else the kids get their grubby fingers. I thought everyone did it!
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I just wiped down the doors a couple weeks ago! I wipe them every once in awhile with a magic eraser (the parts where hands touch and dirty smudges around the door knob, I also magic erase the door frames and entryway frames, my kids like to grab on to while turning corners in the house). I also purchased a Kirby last year, there's a lot of great attachments to it, so I Kirby clean the entire house once a week (walls, ceilings, ceiling fans, molding, baseboards, windows, window frames, doors, door frames, furniture) & vacuum every day. I love my Kirby.
  • trinitymel1982
    Options
    I wipe down my doors, and door handles, and door jambs every weekend, especially the restroom ones.
    I do this :)
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Frankly, I don't have the cleanest house (I'm still learning that my mama isn't going to come clean my house, even after 5.5 years of marriage :smile:). I wipe down the doors. Even the outsides. Stuff gets dirty, people wipe their bodies, bump their hips, etc., on the doors. It's worth doing - and it can be done so quickly!
  • Trinketona
    Trinketona Posts: 190
    Options
    I wipe them because they do get extremely dirty especially with toddlers in the house. She's 16 being rude is her thing right now. Ignore her. Or make her grab a towel and help you clean them lol
  • LisamarieBond14
    LisamarieBond14 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I dunno about the doors thing but I have some very stange tendencies, not sure they count as OCD though!

The volume on the TV, some people have to have it on an even number or a multiple of 5, etc. I have specific numbers, usually 5, 7, sometimes 8, 10, sometimes 12, sometimes 13, 15, 17, sometimes 18, 20, 22, 25, etc... it depends on how it feels (I totally understand "the feeling"!) It truly makes me feel sick if it's not on a number I can have!

Also, and this one has haunted me all my life, as long as I can remember. I have to have equality and balance. So say, my left hand touches something, I have to touch it with my right hand too. Even to the extremes, so if I actually hurt myself, maybe I cut my toe, I have to have the same sensation on the other foot, not necessarily cutting it, but just pressing it against something sharp so that I get the same sensation. My family think it's funny and tap me on the knee or something and wait, in hysterics, for me to touch my other knee... it's so upsetting because they don't understand (even though mum "claims" to have OCD!) Sometimes I spend hours in little whirlwinds because I can't get the same sensation right and I'm there, tapping both arms on different objects because it's not the same sensation, so then I've got to equal it back out and still try to get the original sensation! Does that make sense?

I'm not as bad with objects, but I do like to have things spaced equally (The coathangers spaced equally on the rail when I worked in a clothes store caused me some trouble as I spent too long tidying!)

Some days are worse than others... But I don't think it counts as OCD - maybe I just have a strong sense of balance (crazy, as I can't balance to save my life!)
  • blv0267
    blv0267 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I wipe down doors on about a monthly basis. They get dusty!
  • belladonna_3k
    Options
    Yes I do.. doors get touched constantly, so no only do they build up dirt and stuff, they accumulate dust and pet fur (if you have pets). I don't think it's OCD at all to give them a wipe down once in awhile. OCD would be if you were wiping them several times a day, like as part of a "must do" routine, I believe. You're just cleaning. :-)
  • giggles1973
    giggles1973 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Wash down doors, and the moulding on the top and bottom of the walls and the walls all about once a month :)
  • stormy_eyez742
    stormy_eyez742 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Wow...No way! To me that is routine. We have hardwoods through out our home. They seem to be especially good at breeding dust bunnies and dirt. Plus I have 3 kids - 2 of which are boys and a husband. I get doors, light switches, scuff marks on the walls, baseboards, mouldings, etc..Anywhere hands touch - I try to keep clean. If I only have a few minutes to wipe down door knobs/light switches, I spray a light misting of white vinegar or Lysol.

My family tells me all the time I have OCD...I think they have OCD for feeling the need to tell me that all the time. :smile: Cleanliness is my zen. Do what makes you feel better. There are far worse habits you could have.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I wipe down the doors at least once a year if not more. Doggie noses, people prints, kid stickies...oh yeah, at least once!! I have pattern OCD to where certain aspects of my life must be patterned. Change the pattern and chaos ensues, lol. I once gave up grocery shopping because the store changed the aisles around and I couldn't find anything. My husband tried to test my statement by starting us in the dairy section instead of produce like I normally do. Needless to say, he doubts me no more, lol!
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Oh definitely! Especially if they have grooves in them (the old-fashioned styled doors), they can collect a lot of dust and dirt. I Lysol or Clorox ours when we're sick, and in college, I used to wash our WALLS all the time.
  • LauraJWStevenson
    LauraJWStevenson Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yes...doors, walls, door frames. My DIL came in the other day...I didn't hear her because I was washing my Washing Machine!!! I hate a dirty washer and dryer!!!
  • marcia724
    marcia724 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I do it, if I notice that it looks bad. But that's it. I'm really bad at cleaning thoroughly.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    My hubby is OCD and I am not, about cleaning and keeping the house perfectly spic-n-span, so yes, I wipe down the doors, and occasionally the walls if they get scuffed, or unused areas in the house, even the walls tend to get dusty...
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    umm...if once a month makes you weird i am totally crazy because i do it once a week on our big clean of house, every Friday night! They get dirty of course I clean them
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    oops, double post