Can I take a week off for vacation and not gain weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Go. Do. Enjoy! You can leave the worry behind and find fun activities to do that will help you. Taste what you want to taste. DO what you want to do and know that you have worked hard and deserve to enjoy too! If you gain a pound or two (which really isn't likely if you take an active vacation) it will come off again. Be mindful, but not worried.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    How often do you get vacations? If like me once a year. You've worked hard all year you need to enjoy the vacation. This is a life style change. Your planning on doing some exercise and I reckon you won't go too crazy with the food. Have a few nice meals though you deserve it. You will NOT undo all your hard work. Even if you gained 3 or 4lbs you'd have lost it again in a few weeks. If you don't let yourself enjoy the vacation you'll regret it. Just eat in moderation, stick to vodka diet coke, get a few runs in and enjoy yourself! X
  • mmarlow61
    mmarlow61 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I think you will be fine! Somtimes taking the break jump starts the body again anyway!!! RELAX AND ENJOY!
  • sg1982
    sg1982 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Of course you can.
    Just enjoy ur holidays, and try to go always for the healthy option.

Enjoy ur holidays! :D
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i just got back from a week's vacation and didn't gain any weight. i didn't work-out while i was gone (normally work-out 6 days per week) and although i didn't go "crazy" on eating, i did eat things that i normally don't. that being said, in the week since i've returned home, i have gone back to my healthy eating, starting working-out again, and gained 3 lbs! don't get that one! :sad:
  • aochoa123
    aochoa123 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Did you see last weeks episode of the Biggest Loser? Topic was I can't lose weight while on vacation. You can find time to work out each day and you already know how/what to eat so yes enjoy your vacation but don't let old habits back in.
  • aksunshine
    aksunshine Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I will gladly sacrifice myself for you in order to experiment - Please send tickets ASAP :)

Have fun!!! Jogging on the beach sounds so refreshing! Jealous!!!!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    despite working out on vacay, I always manage to gain about 5 pounds. Quickly losing it once I get home, eat less sodium laden foods and cut back on the alcohol :ohwell:
    Go, enjoy yourself.
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    Don't stress. Just enjoy your trip!
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    No. In those ten days you will lose all you have worked for in the last year. Cancel the vacation. You've been working all this time without a break, don't ruin it now.

I know this was said in jest but this is my worst fear. I have worked so hard and I am truly terrified of this. Unfounded fear probably but I was over 190 lbs at my highest and after 50+ lbs gone, i do not ever want to look or feel like that again. I also would like to enjoy without getting up and working out like a crazed women every morning as I have been.

How about a routine change? The beauty of strength training is you only need do it 3-4 times a week. That and squats work miracles.
  • lilyvale68
    lilyvale68 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I went on vacation in February and gained 9 pounds in 6 days. However, only 5 days after my return home it was gone. Don't worry about it. The point of vacation is to step out of your current world for a time.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    During my vacation, I made healthier choices when I felt like it and splurged when I felt like it (and I splurged more often than not), walked a lot sightseeing but no other exercise, and gained 2# which were gone within a week upon my return.

Just enjoy yourself, exercise when you feel like it but don't let it take away from your vacation fun, and just get back on your program when you get home and you'll be fine.
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I just had 5 days off on holiday and I've actually lost a couple of pounds but I was running around after my 3 year old nephew and did my kettlebell 3 times. I ate whatever I wanted but that did include salads, veg and fruit for snacks.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    You won't undo all your hard work. I went on vacation to an all-inclusive resort in February, and did not gain weight. I didn't exercise, just lounged by the beach and pool. I ate as normal. So you will be fine.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    despite working out on vacay, I always manage to gain about 5 pounds. Quickly losing it once I get home, eat less sodium laden foods and cut back on the alcohol :ohwell:
    Go, enjoy yourself.

This is what I was going to say. Due to the fact that it takes overconsuming by 3500 calories to gain even one pound, you are not likely at all to gain any significant amount of "real" weight on a 10-day vacation unless you are severely overeating and not getting any exercise at all. If you consume more alcohol and/or salty foods than normal, you are likely to retain water, which will show up on the scale as extra pounds, but it will come off quickly as you get back to your normal schedule.

Life is too short to be worried about your diet while you're on vacation. Ten days is not going to undo a year of hard work. Eat what you want in moderation, get some exercise, and relax.