Low Carbs

I don't want to do any fab diets like atkins etc, I just want to lower my carbohydrates and wondered if anyone knew how many carbs a day you were allowed to lose weight. one website I saw said 25g but another website I saw said 50-100g, so I'm a little confused. also wondered if there was any calculators on the web that allowed you work out your carb intake by how much you weighed etc.

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    I don't want to do any fab diets like atkins etc, I just want to lower my carbohydrates and wondered if anyone knew how many carbs a day you were allowed to lose weight. one website I saw said 25g but another website I saw said 50-100g, so I'm a little confused. also wondered if there was any calculators on the web that allowed you work out your carb intake by how much you weighed etc.

I say this as a person who works in a hospital-system network.... discuss what is right for you with your healthcare professionals, a registered dietician, etc.

Dont go by the websites you see - your providers know more about your current health status information and are the best indicator of what you should consider for your unique and individual situation.

My Endo advised me for my medical situation (I work with her also) and it has been a great help.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member

Assuming you do not have any insulin related medical conditions, your progress will not be dictated directly by carb consumption and your weight loss will not be a direct factor of total carb intake. In that regard, you're asking the wrong question (I don't mean that in a bad tone, I just can't think of a better way to phrase it).

Your weight loss is going to be primarily driven by creating a calorie deficit. Instead of worrying about carb intake, I would suggest that you focus on hitting a calorie target, and consume adequate protein and fat in that process.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,162 Member
    Carbs reduction won't necessarily help you lose weight. Calories is what counts. Although carb reduction might help for some people (while in a calorie deficit) it won't help the average person. Carbs are your energy.
  • It depends on your age, size, body type. i do low carb and i try to keep it under 50 net carbs. It works for me, I started it when i hit a plateau and it got me out of it immediately. I think it just gives you extra awareness about what you are putting into your body. i am a sugar fiend. before i would consume under my calorie goal but be way over my limit on sugar, low carb has really kept that in check. Good luck with it if you decide to try it!
  • lookatme09
    lookatme09 Posts: 57 Member
    I had lost a lot of weight by just limiting my carbs to natural carbs in fruits and veggies. I stayed away from breads and limited my pasta and rice to brown and whole wheat. I made most of my meals protein with a little of carbs. I lost a lb a day with cardio. I am actually going back to that this time around.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    I have done Atkins and lost a bunch of weight (years ago). That diet limited carbs to <20. At that rate, you didn't have to watch calories at all. Weight dropped off like crazy after the body goes into ketosis (about 4 days) and burns it's own fat instead of what you eat. I do know you have to be careful when eating more carbs than that. The whole principle changes and you definitely have to watch calories as well. Someone here probably has some good advice or you could google low carb diets and maybe you will find something that appeals to you. Just use common sense. If there are claims that you think sound too good to be true, they probably are. Some common "traps" to watch for when limiting carbs is bread, pasta, and fruits. For example a banana has about 25, a large apple about 30, and a large orange has about 22. Fruit is good for you but stalls a lot of diets because of sugar content. It is "good" sugar, but to your body, sugar is sugar. It can't tell the difference when it comes to weight loss. Good luck!
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Limiting carbs not only makes a huge difference in my weight loss, but in my food cravings and satiety as well.

In real life, my carb intake varies between 45 and 120, but my goal is 60-75. This is a number that I've come to based on my own experience with how I feel and what is a reasonable diet with which I'm comfortable.

You need to pick a reasonable level and stick with it for AT LEAST a few weeks. If you've been eating high carb you may feel like crap for a few days while your body learns to switch to protein and fat for energy.

You can always play around with the percentages in your MFP calorie goals to come up with a idea of how many carbs/protein/fats to shoot for based on your total calories. This isn't exactly based on your weight, but it would change based on how many calories you are eating. I currently have my carbs set to 20%.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    I have done Atkins and lost a bunch of weight (years ago). That diet limited carbs to <20. At that rate, you didn't have to watch calories at all. Weight dropped off like crazy after the body goes into ketosis (about 4 days) and burns it's own fat instead of what you eat. I do know you have to be careful when eating more carbs than that. The whole principle changes and you definitely have to watch calories as well. Someone here probably has some good advice or you could google low carb diets and maybe you will find something that appeals to you. Just use common sense. If there are claims that you think sound too good to be true, they probably are. Some common "traps" to watch for when limiting carbs is bread, pasta, and fruits. For example a banana has about 25, a large apple about 30, and a large orange has about 22. Fruit is good for you but stalls a lot of diets because of sugar content. It is "good" sugar, but to your body, sugar is sugar. It can't tell the difference when it comes to weight loss. Good luck!

Any initial greater weight loss shown in low carb diets vs a mixed diet is due to water loss. And once you go into ketosis you aren't burning more body fat then a mixed diet, holding calories and protein constant. Fat oxidation increases due to an increase in fat consumption, but that doesn't mean you're burning more body fat.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    <---profile pic is proof that reducing carbs doesn't help with weight loss. LOL

I started out doing super low carbs ala Atkins, but a friend of mine started at 100 carbs and is doing fantastic. Not losing as quickly as I did in the beginning, but steadily and she doesn't seem to feel deprived.

Good luck to you!
  • jennifeffer
    jennifeffer Posts: 98 Member
    I've been reading about the primal blueprint the last few days. He suggests sticking around 80 grams for weight loss. Google mark's daily apple and put macronutrients in the search bar.....i cut grains two days ago and am down a pound already....i had been stuck at an 11 lb plateau for a few weeks. This seems to be pushing me past it. Good luck!!!!
  • I dabbled a bit with no carb. I limited myself for the first week to 100, then the next week the days varied...I felt like i could do 60 one day, or 40 the next, and then full 100. And, 100 is still way lower than the average carb intake, you could start there for a week and see where it takes you!
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    I try to keep my carbs between 60-100g per day. I also try to keep my sugar and sodium low. I am not an expert, but I know that by choosing foods that are lower carb, lower sugar, lower sodium, they very often are lower in calories. I have lost 85 pounds by keeping an eye on these numbers (carbs, sugar, sodium). The calories are probably lower too, although I don't often look at that.
    so, my macros are:

Carbs 60-100
    Sugar <15
    Sodium <1500.

good luck!
  • billtonkin
    billtonkin Posts: 109
    I've been reading about the primal blueprint the last few days. He suggests sticking around 80 grams for weight loss. Google mark's daily apple and put macronutrients in the search bar.....i cut grains two days ago and am down a pound already....i had been stuck at an 11 lb plateau for a few weeks. This seems to be pushing me past it. Good luck!!!!

I have a better idea. Google mark's daily apple, then block that website. You'll be better off.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member

I started out doing super low carbs ala Atkins, but a friend of mine started at 100 carbs and is doing fantastic. Not losing as quickly as I did in the beginning, but steadily and she doesn't seem to feel deprived.

Good luck to you!

no, that proves only that what you are doing worked for you.

I am a low carber, and my pictures and ticker show that it works for me. you are not wrong, nor am I. but a person has to find what works for them.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    I'd reiterate what others said, stay below your caloric goals, make sure you get your protein and fats, then let the carbs make up the difference.

I did see some bro-science about carbs and body fat percentage
    Something like over 30% body fat eat >50g
    over 20% >100g
    etc
    but bro-science is bro-science
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member

Good luck to you!

no, that proves only that what you are doing worked for you.

I am a low carber, and my pictures and ticker show that it works for me. you are not wrong, nor am I. but a person has to find what works for them.

I would never push low carb on anyone...I posted that because of the posts above mine that said low carb didn't make any difference. To each his own.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Carbs are being demonized again. I hate that I see these low carbers and the only carbs they get are from their bagel thins and hamburger buns. I try to keep mine down but almost all of my carbs are from vegetables and fruit (limited) and I lose a pound a week consistently. My diary is a bit complicated because I like variety and I am never starving, sure I'm hungry by the next meal but not starving. Advantage here is I've been gluten free (intolerance) for over 10 years so giving up rice products was not a big deal. Treats could be my downfall but don't really crave sugary stuff except Nutella, lol.
  • I don't want to do any fab diets like atkins etc, I just want to lower my carbohydrates and wondered if anyone knew how many carbs a day you were allowed to lose weight. one website I saw said 25g but another website I saw said 50-100g, so I'm a little confused. also wondered if there was any calculators on the web that allowed you work out your carb intake by how much you weighed etc.

This might help you out - I sent it to a friend on MFP this week also. I am taking medical endocrinology this semester and my textbook did a wonderful job at summing up the glucose requirements for the average adult. It gave me a much better idea of what "low carb" truly is. In one particular figure (cited below), the average glucose requirement for tissues in the average adult were given as: ~150 grams for the brain, and ranges of 50-500 grams for muscle and 60-120 grams for all other tissues. Adding everything on the low end of the glucose requirement gives ~260 grams of glucose needed by the body each day. To quote my textbook directly, "Ketone bodies are the only alternative substrates to glucose, but studies in experimental animals indicate that only certain regions of the brain can substitute ketone bodies for glucose" (153). It goes on to say that even under prolonged fasted conditions, the brain continues to use one-third of its energy in the form of glucose. A bare-minimum carbohydrate intake, in my opinion, is 50 grams (or, 1/3 of 150 grams). I personally try to get a range of 50-100 grams of carbohydrates each day. Does that help?

Page(s): 153, Basic Medical Endocrinology by H. Maurice Goodman, Elsevier Science & Technology Books
    NOOKstudy. This material is protected by copyright.

Figure 8.1, "Storage and utilization of biological fuels", p. 152
    "Basic Medical Endocrinology, 4th ed." by H. Maurice Goodman, Elsevier Science & Technology Books
    NOOKstudy. This material is protected by copyright
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Rather than thinking low carb I prefer to go with quality carbs. I eat 150-250g of carbs per day and lose weight.
    When I tried low carb in the past I had to eat a ton of protein for calories and ugh, it killed my short term memory and made me an airhead. I was also very clustsy. It was weird. I was eating about 20g carbs per day.
  • There is a lot of misinformation and, naturally, mistakes in the low carb community which critics have picked up on. The same can be said of the low fat community. It is still uncertain exactly how restriction differs from one diet to another, but this is interesting: a person who eats 2000 calories of a 50% carb, 15% protein, 35% fat ratio eats ~250g carb, 75g protein, 78g fat. If that person reduced their calories to 1400 and ate the same ratio, they would be eating ~175g carb, ~53g protein, ~54g fat. All macronutrients become reduced in the process. If I were you, I would keep my protein constant or slightly lower and play with fat and carbs in my diet.