How long to you work out?

Options
I am barely able to put in 30 minutes when i workout, but I push myself the whole time.

How long are you able to workout? Do you push yourself the whole time, or do you pace yourself?

Replies

• JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Like you, I don't have much time for working out. I do 30-45 mins a day usually, while my son takes his nap. I can't go to a gym or anything so I just work out at home. Since I don't have much time, I also like to keep it high intensity. Right now I am doing insanity.
  • eberz1000
    eberz1000 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Depends :) Cardio days, around 45 minutes, but strength training is so variable. If I choose to focus on more than one body part (i.e. today: *kitten* and abs), I can spend up to 2 hours in the gym, plus warm up and cool down. If it's just one part, then an hour and a half, roundabouts?
    If I choose HIIT, then around 30 minutes is the max I can manage
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Because of my kids I usually only get about 20minutes in at one time at home. But I can get a little longer in if I walk or bike ride (with the kids). But I just make sure I do several short work outs a day. My goal is to burn around 500calories a day.
  • Mguilmot
    Mguilmot Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Between 50-90minutes, 4 times a week.
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Somewhere between 30min to 2hrs(depending on how many miles I run) 5 times a week. Strength training days are only about 30 minutes.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    You really should not spend more than about an hour on strength training. Usually 45 mins is enough if you do it right. Cardio is different. You can go as long as you want, but I know there are ideal limits you should stay within for maximum fat burn. There a very precise science to cardio, and how long you should workout. I think it's around 45 mins doing HIIT is ideal for maximum fat burn. Anymore than that and your body starts burning other stuff that you want to keep, not fat. I don't know, obviously I'm no expert, but I've read about it so I understand the concept well enough to be totally dangerous with the information.
  • FitnessJules87
    Options
    I understand the concept well enough to be totally dangerous with the information.

That just made my day. :)
  • LenaMena87
    LenaMena87 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    1-2 hrs depending on what day it is!
  • zinok
    zinok Posts: 185
    Options
    I usually aim for 30 minutes of cardio at least five times a week. My job also has me walking around tons (waitress/hostess) so I count that in and usually burn a couple hundred a day doing that.
    The way I see it, every little bit helps.
  • stormyous
    stormyous Posts: 157
    Options
    an hour during the week longer on weekends.
  • Larry0445
    Larry0445 Posts: 232
    Options
    60 min's of cardio....7 days a week. :-)
  • marci423
    marci423 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym 3 times a week for 2 hours each time, I work with a trainer while I am there.........we don't do a solid 2 straight hours, we have mini breaks :o) if not, I would probably be dead :bigsmile:
    I do cardio at home at least 5 days a week.........it's a fast walk that I do, and I carry weight with me for parts of it...........trying to get that scale to move! :o)

good luck!
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I am barely able to put in 30 minutes when i workout, but I push myself the whole time.

How long are you able to workout? Do you push yourself the whole time, or do you pace yourself?

What is the workout?

45-50 min of strength training and 20 min of cardio after...less (with enough intensity) is always more with weight training.
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    40 to 50 min. of circuit training with heavy weights. I take time for water, but no resting.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Usually 4 or 5 days per week for up to 90 minutes. Typically in the 45 range. This is only because I am currently unemployed! I know things will change when I get a job again. Before it was about 30 minutes 2 or 3 times per week. I lost most of my weight that way.
  • paigedwatson
    Options
    I think it depends on how intense the workout is. I can burn 300-400 calories in 30 minutes or in 1 hour depending on what I'm doing. I can walk at 4.0 mph for an hour and burn maybe 300 calories, or I can do a 20 minute workout of 30 Day Shred and burn the same. Just be sure no matter how long you're working out that you give it 110% the whole time!
  • jbrow2487
    jbrow2487 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    With 2 jobs right now it is hard to find time, but right now I'm doing the 30DS each day and then usually about a half hour of strength training (more pushups, crunches, weights, etc), so about an hour ish? :)
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Every day i do 20 minutes of the 30 day shred and 20 minutes elliptical. actually i have been challenged to add a bit to that one every 3 day until i get to an hour.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Depends how much time I have.

If I only have 30 minutes I go on the elliptical.

If I have an 1 or 2 hours My normal cardio is:

25 on the stationary bike
    10 treadmill (or something else, depends)
    30 elliptical
    10 minutes on the stair monster (sorry the stair "master")
    Total: 75 minutes (haven't tried or have the time to do more)

I do not take breaks but do take time to refill my water bottle if needed. My cool down is strength training. Which I do for about 10-15 minutes.

But you don't want to kill yourself through it but you should find a good speed (that's a very brisk jog for me) and just keep it through the workout. It just all depends on what you can do. When I first started I got winded after 20 minutes on the elliptical!

So be proud of 30 minute :flowerforyou:

Keep Calm and Carry On,
    Anna
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    For a start 30 minutes - 30 minutes can feel like a long time when you're exercising. When I feel fitter or more energised, I will extend that time for around another 15. If my body reaches a plateau, I will intensify the exercise.