what exercise can i do to get my hips to get smaller.

Options
I love my running but what can i do to get my hips smaller. I realize that you can not spot lose. Need some ideas of things to do.

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts. Heavy as you can.
  • sunnyrunner77
    sunnyrunner77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've noticed Zumba has helped my hips a lot. All the shakin', I guess =)
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Walk, Walk, Walk :) good luck!!
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    You just need to do overall strength training in addition to cardio. Cardio is great for fat loss, but to tone up running isn't going to cut it. So yes, squats, lunges... I'm terrible at names of exercises, but anything that Jillian Michaels does in her ripped in 30 dvd because that's what I do! My bum and hips are so sore after that!
  • deedaltz
    deedaltz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    There is a machine at my gym (planet fitness) that is called the Hip abduction that it supposed to work out that areas. But it is good to pair this with lunges and squats as well.
  • ceejay3101
    ceejay3101 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    cycling is brilliant not just for hips but thighs and calves to plus it gets that heart rate pumping, I have gone from a 46" hip to a 38" in 8 months and though I do other exercise as well I am sure the hips are down due to cycling
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Do you belong to a gym that offers cardio kickboxing? It's a great head to toe work out. The different kicks seem to hit my hip and thigh muscles from angles other exercises don't.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I realize that you can not spot lose.

You answered your own question. Just keep eating at a calorie deficit and getting in a combination of cardio and strength training and you will get smaller all over. You can't pick where the weight decides to come off first. It sucks, but that is just the way it is. :grumble:
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,161 Member
    Options
    1. If your pelvic bones are large, then you should be thankful for being curvy.
    2. If you have fat on top of your bum, more cardio and calorie deficit will help.
    3. If you want more shape of your bum muscles- squats, deadlifts and lunges are most effective.
  • eschwab855
    eschwab855 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    There is a machine at my gym (planet fitness) that is called the Hip abduction that it supposed to work out that areas. But it is good to pair this with lunges and squats as well.
    several studies have shown the wonderful hip abductor as 1 of the most overrated exercise movements there are U. of Wi. comes to mind
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Fat loss and strengthening. If you're running so much you really should be lifting too just to avoid overuse injuries. Last time I ran a lot I had serious IT band issues. I'm runnging again but have been doing New Rules of Lifting for Women (Mostly I do that and some running) and it has kept me in much better shape.

But as for your hips, you need to lower your fat percentage. You apparently store fat there. That's a healthier place than on your abdomen. But, a calorie deficit is all that does it. Heavy weight lifting will raise your tush and give you a lovely shapely figure, but minus that moderate calorie deficit, your lovely shapely figure will be obscured by your body fat percentage.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I realize that you can not spot lose.

You answered your own question. Just keep eating at a calorie deficit and getting in a combination of cardio and strength training and you will get smaller all over. You can't pick where the weight decides to come off first. It sucks, but that is just the way it is. :grumble:

^^^ She is right. She is always right.
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Every other day I run and then on my rest days I walk.
    As for liftin i do nothing. But i was do a big variety. I do have ripped in 30. I will have to start it again.
  • Melissaol
    Options
    How do I figure out fat percentage.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    On finding your bf%, google will be your friend. Start trying to find a dexa scan or bod pod in your area. If not maybe a gym eith someone trained to use calipers. Absent that an online calculator that uses LOTS of measurements that you take as accurately as possible. Beyond that Google for pictures at different percents. Leigh poole has some on her site.

If you've been losing through drastic calorie deficit and only cardio, you've likely lost muscle on the way and may be surprised how high you bf is despite your awesome cardiovascular capabilities. Build up lean mass and lose fat (not really at the same time but for ease while I type on my phone) results in better results. If you're losing significant lean mass as well as fat and if your hips are the first to store fat and last to give it up, then well, there ya go. But adding weight training I have found increases my calorie burn seem to have me losing more fat and has me slimming in my tougher places. And my food hasn't been on point by any stretch.
  • Melissaol
    Options
    Well. I started eith ealking on treadmill little bit if lifting weights. But more like sit ups, lunges, crunches, more cardio. Starting ripped in 30.
  • deedaltz
    deedaltz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Well there is a difference between something being overrated and not working at all. I think its a good place to start if you haven't used weights at all. I know I certainly felt it after using this machine but that's my personal opinion, everyone is different.