Cinnamon to Lower Blood Sugar and Cholesterol

Wecandothis
Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
edited September 19 in Food and Nutrition
Cinnamon has long been known to have antiseptic properties, but new research is revealing that not only does it improve cognitive abilities, but it is helpful for reducing Blood Sugar Levels and the 'bad' cholesterol while leaving the good cholesterol alone.

Its effect on blood sugar could potentially help in the war against obesity, and insulin resistance, which is sometimes known as "prediabetes".

Quotes from an article found here: http://diabetes.about.com/od/whatsonthehorizon/qt/cinnamon.htm

"A study in Pakistan has shown that cinnamon may improve blood glucose and cholesterol levels in people with Type 2 diabetes. The results of a study from 2003 in Pakistan showed lower levels of fasting glucose, triglycerides, LDL cholesterol and total cholesterol after 40 days with levels continuing to drop for 20 days after that." ...

"Richard A. Anderson, Ph.D., CNS, of the the Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center (BHNRC), is one of the original researchers in the Pakistan study. The BHNRC is under the United States Department of Agricuture (USDA). From results of his continued study of the components of cinnamon and their effect on blood glucose and cholesterol, he states,"

"We have also shown that the active components of cinnamon are found in the water-soluble portion of cinnamon and are not present in cinnamon oil, which is largely fat-soluble. In addition to ground cinnamon consumed directly, one can also make a cinnamon tea and let the solids settle to the bottom or use cinnamon sticks, which make for a nice clear tea. Cinnamon can also be added to orange juice, oatmeal, coffee before brewing, salads, meats etc. The active components are not destroyed by heat."

What Dr. Anderson claims is a HUGE bonus for us - because you don't have to take expensive supplements or buy expensive cinnamon. The cheap cinnamon you can buy in grocery stores, cassia, is the kind you want.

If Cinnamon can:
* have favorable effects on brain function and memory
* soothes the stomach, and may help prevent ulcers
* suppresses the bacteria that causes urinary tract infections and the fungus associated with yeast infections
* reduces cholesterol levels – in particular, lowering bad cholesterol while leaving good cholesterol the same
* reduce blood glucose levels

Then why not try it? I love it in my tea.

Here is another very good article about the benefits of cinnamon:

http://thyroid.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=thyroid&cdn=health&tm=36&f=10&su=p284.9.336.ip_p726.5.336.ip_&tt=2&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/cinnamon.htm

Replies

• ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Thanks, good info.
  • Yay for cinnamon!!! Mmmm...
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Mmmm...cinnamon. Awesome in coffee, on fruit, in protein smoothies, also awesome mixed in spice rubs on meat. One time I even put a bit in chili with some cumin.
  • marking to read later.
  • Ffer0509
    Ffer0509 Posts: 13 Member
    Good to know! Wonder why cinnamon doesn't get more press!

Thanks for the info!

:happy:
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    I am trying hard to reign in my cynical 'conspiracy minded' side of my brain, but I FAIL...

Probably because it's cheap, inexpensive, and doesn't involve any Pharmaceutical company.

Sorry. :-)
This discussion has been closed.