To anyone who doesn't have a food scale. . .

Options
Go buy one immediately! I've been guesstimating my food sizes for the last 2 weeks and boy was I off! The chicken breast I thought was 4oz was actually 8oz!! So my diaries are probably all messed up with inaccurate portions. This food scale is now becoming the most used thing in my kitchen!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,047 Member
    Options
    QFT

Absolutely a necessity for accurate portions. I agree - $20 well spent.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Thanks, but if I got to the stage I was measuring everything I ate, I would consider myself to have an eating disorder. I have managed to lose all the weight I wanted to without one.
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Thanks, but if I got to the stage I was measuring everything I ate, I would consider myself to have an eating disorder. I have managed to lose all the weight I wanted to without one.
    I have to agree...I would get OBSESSED with the thing and not dare eat without it;) I know myself all too well!!!
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I have one, but I only use it for about 1/4 of the stuff I eat. Calorie counts are always going to be an estimate, anyway...
  • kanonxbou47
    kanonxbou47 Posts: 265 Member
    Options

Imthink my bulimia was bad enough without a food scale.
  • MsDreaB
    MsDreaB Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Yeah I def. need to go buy one..for the most part I eat things with calorie content on the side but I am eating more meats and stuff so I think it would be good idea to weigh how much is 2 oz etc I just don't want to get too obsessed :/
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    It would not be a for ever thing, scales really help with portion control.

Once you have used them for a while you get used to what things approximately weigh.
  • androde
    androde Posts: 96 Member
    Options

I got all OCD with mine till I accidentally broke it.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    QFT

Absolutely a necessity for accurate portions. I agree - $20 well spent.

for 20 bucks, what's the best one to get?
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    My food scale helps me from getting too obsessed. Instead of being like do they mean a level 2/3 cup or stressing about how to measure spaghetti, I just weight things. Makes it much easier for me. Some people don't need one to lose, then again some people can eat whatever they want and never get to be as fat as I am now having already lost 65 lbs.
  • Art63
    Art63 Posts: 87
    Options
    Excellent advice about using a food scale. It's so simple to just put the plate on top, turn the scale on, and plop down your food. I use mine a lot.

Another point worth adding that goes right along with the original post....measuring out things like cereal was a shocker for me. What I had been placing in my bowl was way more than what the cereal box used for computing the calories. In other words, if you're not measuring as well as weighing you may be fooling yourself as to the number of calories for your portion.
  • jen1127
    jen1127 Posts: 19
    Options
    For me (who's very new to this site and calorie counting) I'm finding that I had NO idea of the right portion sizes. I was waaayyy off, thus affecting my serving size and calories. So for me it is most needed until I get more experienced.
  • abibrand
    abibrand Posts: 10
    Options
    Everyone is different, but it can be really hard to eyeball things if you've never really been into these things before.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Best investment ever!!! Other than maybe an HRM!
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I weigh absolutely everything, even to the point where I had to buy a scale that weighs in smaller increments. I don't think it's OCD at all, just good to know how many calories I am eating, kind of the point of my food diary really :drinker:
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    got one, a must!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I agree. There are items (nuts especially) that I can either buy in bulk and package to individual serving sizes, or pay a lot more and have them prepackaged for me. And meat is a particularly good thing (for me) to measure out. My eyeballing skills suck when there is a beautiful filet in front of me!

If something isn't measured out, it's not a big deal. Things are estimations....from calories in to calories burned during exercise. But knowledge is power and a food scale helps tremendously. People will spend $100 on a heart rate monitor, but not $10 on a food scale? I don't get it, especially since I'm in the camp that believes weight loss happens in the kitchen more than in the gym.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I bought a super cheap one to see if I liked it...and I did. So, I bought the $20 digital scale at Walmart and I love it!
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I really need to get one! I hate estimating...especially meat!
  • lisadlocks
    lisadlocks Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Of course my eyeballing is way off. The scales don't lie, my eyeballs do!