Hard Boiled Eggs???!! HELP!!!!

Options
How on earth do I get perfectly hard boiled eggs? I've tried every method I know, but still they come out weird. The shell gets stuck on the egg (I have no idea how it happens) and while removing it, it takes a bunch of the egg white with it! ?!? HELP?!

Ofcourse keeping the yolk all nice and yello for Devilled Egg Paste...

Replies

• soughtout
    soughtout Posts: 28
    Options
    How on earth do I get perfectly hard boiled eggs? I've tried every method I know, but still they come out weird. The shell gets stuck on the egg (I have no idea how it happens) and while removing it, it takes a bunch of the egg white with it! ?!? HELP?!

Ofcourse keeping the yolk all nice and yello for Devilled Egg Paste...
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    Try adding some salt to water to make the shell go away more easily.

Unfortunately we don't have any influence on the color, it just depend on the type of egg.
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    I think over boiling causes the shell to stick to the egg.

Try it for just long enough to solidify the yolk, 6 - 7 minutes, also don't over do the heat, i know its water so it won't go over 100 degrees but rappid boiling will result in the ouside being over done, (and stuck to the shell) and the inside still being liquid. A sign of this is a cracked shell

Al
  • chiefiron
    chiefiron Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I think the key is cold water after boiling to shrink the egg inside the shell.

Tim
  • lorelai63
    lorelai63 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Boil the eggs for about 8-10 min. Immediatly put the pan of eggs in the sink and run cold water over them. As soon as you can handle one without burning your hand gently tap the egg and roll the egg back and forth on a hard surface. Just enough pressure to start crumbling the shell. This will casue the egg shell to crack in many places. Take your thumb and start to peel the egg. It should peel beautufully without sticking. I learned this when I was working in a restaurant many years ago and it has never failed me yet. Good luck!
  • wobblybum
    wobblybum Posts: 21
    Options
    Also when the eggs are very fresh the shell won't peel off as easily!
  • Rachael2179
    Rachael2179 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    My uncle has perfect boiled eggs everytime... He read on the internet...so I copied it for you... Here you go :smile:

Bring your eggs to room temperature before cooking. If the egg has been stored in the refrigerator it can be warmed gently under a flowing hot tap water. By bringing the eggs to room temperature, they're much less likely to crack in the hot water. Also the temperature of the egg at the start of the cooking process will affect the cooking time. An egg that is at room temperature at the start of the cooking process will require about 1 minute less cooking time than eggs taken directly from the refrigerator.

Gently place the eggs in a single layer in a pan with enough cold water to cover eggs completely (approximately by 1 inche). If you have two or three layers of eggs stacked up in a small pot, they may cook unevenly. Too much water will take too long for things to get boiling, which can throw off the timing and give your overcooked eggs. Too little water and parts of the eggs will be exposed and end up undercooked. NOTE: Use a tall pan, and limit cooking to 2 dozen eggs at a time.

Over high heat, bring water JUST to a rapid boil.

As soon as the water reaches a rapid boil, remove pan from heat and cover egg pan tightly with a lid.

Set timer for 17 minutes for large eggs or 20 minutes for jumbo eggs.

After exactly 17 or 20 minutes (depending on size of your eggs), remove from head and drain off water from the eggs. Transfer the eggs to the bowl of ice cubes and cold water. Let eggs cool at least 10 minutes in cold water, then drain either store in refrigerator or peel the eggs (see below for How To Peel Hard-Cooked Eggs Easily).

NOTE: Watch the time when cooking the eggs carefully. Overcook causes a green layer to form around the yolk. This layer is caused by a reaction between the iron in the yolk and the sulfur in the white. Heat speeds up this reaction, so the longer your eggs cook, the greater the chance of discoloration.

We make them like this all the time now and they are always perfect... I hope this helps
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    OK, I got one more. This came from the Emeril cooking show. When I saw him peel them, I thought, "no way", but yeo, it works and I tried it.

Wait 'till the water boils, then add eggs, cook for 5 minutes. Turn off heat, cover pan, time for 14 minutes with the heat off.

Let sit another 5 minutes to cool, run under luke warm water, then peel....
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    The trick to getting the shell off is too pinch the wide, end part of the egg and then peel it. ( notice there is a wide end and a narrow end of the egg). That will get the membrane and that is what sticks to the egg. Works every time if you do it correctly. You can do them hot or cold.
  • kimmerlyjo
    kimmerlyjo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've also been told if you use just a smidge (about a cap full) of olive oil in the water and let the eggs completely cool it helps... i've tried it and it worked for me
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    boil for 7 minutes and remove from heat and let cool. peel under running water.
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    put eggs in cold water (just covering egg) bring up to boil, turn OFF heat, COVER for 25 minutes. DONE. run under cold water.
  • Erica92627
    Erica92627 Posts: 576
    Options
    Boil the eggs for about 8-10 min. Immediatly put the pan of eggs in the sink and run cold water over them. As soon as you can handle one without burning your hand gently tap the egg and roll the egg back and forth on a hard surface. Just enough pressure to start crumbling the shell. This will casue the egg shell to crack in many places. Take your thumb and start to peel the egg. It should peel beautufully without sticking. I learned this when I was working in a restaurant many years ago and it has never failed me yet. Good luck!

This is how I do it too.

Another way is that I boil water to a slight boil,drop the eggs in for a few min.. 8-10 then do what is listed above and presto you have a hard boiled egg..
  • jnkreis
    jnkreis Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I always only use eggs purchased approx 1 -2 weeks prior for hard boiling. The fresher the egg the harder the shell is to get off. I guess from what I have read, the shell or that membrane just between the egg and the shell is attached. The older the egg, the more separated it will get. Works for me. I end up getting 2 dozen eggs when I go shopping. One dozen that I let sit for sandwiches, or whatever, and the other dozen that I use all the time for scrammbled eggs and baking and such. Hope that this helps.