Today's very special NSV

Options
OLFATUG
OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
I was just having one of those days today. My eldest daughter was talking back to her mother and ignoring any reprimands. My youngest was talking over everything we say and laughing at our inability to complete sentences. For a change of scenery we decided to head to BJ's and do the bulk shopping. The kids love the free samples, and the change of scenery often alters moods just enough to put everything back to where it belongs.

Unfortunately when we got to BJ's their credit card machine was down and we were extremely limited on what we could actually purchase on our list, since we don't tend to carry a lot of cash. My wife and I argued over stupid, inconsequential stuff.

None of those things is a big deal. All of those things combined is a minor nuisance to most people. Unfortunately I am not most people. I am an alcoholic, and the biggest flaw in my character is that little things snowball into big things quickly and uncontrollably. It doesn't take long for all those little things to end up pushing me out the door and to the liquor store.

Something different happened today though. We got home from BJ's, I put away the groceries, and much to my (and my wife's) surprise, I went upstairs and changed into my running clothes. I kissed her on the cheek, told her I would be home in about a half an hour, and went for a quick 3 mile run.

My NSV is that today I didn't drink.

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Bravo! A run instead of a drink is a definite NSV :smile: Keep up the good work.
  • Pihjin
    Pihjin Posts: 63
    Options
    That is 100% awesome. The best NSV I'm read to date.
    I know how difficult that could have been for you but the fact that you just went and DID it shows a huge amount of progress and strength.
    I am very proud of you.
  • Iheartsushi
    Iheartsushi Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Ditto. Best NSV ever!!!
  • janeosu
    janeosu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    HUGE NSV! Awesome.
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    That's superb, I am so happy for you! HUGE success right there!! :D
  • houseofcarpenter
    houseofcarpenter Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    that's so cool. defiantly best nsv I've ever heard too... well done you, you must be really proud x
  • heyghoge
    heyghoge Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    you, sir, are awesome.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    That is AWESOME!!! Keep it up!
  • brandygburke
    brandygburke Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    So awesome. My husband Doug (he's on my profile) is in recovery - 16 months sober and your post reminded me of him. I'm glad that today you found another way to deal with your frustrations and stresses.
    Brandy
  • jhayes28
    jhayes28 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    That's the greatest NSV!! Way to go!
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    AH!! Thats amazing!! Thats not a NSV Thats a Life victory!! awesome awesome awesome!!
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Absolutely fantastic!
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Amazing. :smile:

Congratulations on your strength and fortitude. A truly great NSV.
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    How encouraging! Thank you so much for sharing this. Really impacted my day!
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    That is hands down the best NSV I've ever read. :flowerforyou:
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Abolutely best NSV to date. Well done to you x
  • Leigh_D
    Leigh_D Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    AH!! Thats amazing!! Thats not a NSV Thats a Life victory!! awesome awesome awesome!!

GREAT choice today! Way to go.
  • SandyMilton
    SandyMilton Posts: 130
    Options
    I completely admire what you did! Excellent!!!
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

Well done
  • Craighbruce
    Options
    Four thumbs up!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!