Migraine Sufferers - Please Read

Options
Hi Everyone,
I'm looking for some exercise ideas that will still burn a halfway decent amount of calories when I have a migraine.
Here's my issue: I have headaches nearly every day, and debilitating migraines an average of 3-4 times per week. I can no longer afford to not work out because I have a migraine.
My migraines often pound/throb, which is worsened with impact even as light as on an elliptical machine.
Also, swimming is not an option.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    If it is truly a diagnosed migraine, you shouldn't be able to get out of bed without a lot of prescription meds.

See a doctor. It doesn't sound like migraines.
  • ralevin
    ralevin Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thanks, and that's only half true. Not all migraines are so debilitating that you can't get out of bed. I've had them for years, had multiple neurologists say they're migraines. Also, I take prescription pain killers for them so frequently that I'm able to do most activities without the side effects that they would cause someone who doesn't take them often.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Glad you've seen a doctor (or ten :wink:)...

I had them for decades. I would not have attempted exercise, since that just increased my pain. The mechanism is vasodilation, and exercise was out of the question for me ....I also gained a lot of weight from this issue and the prophylactic meds needed to stave off most attacks. I never took pain meds, as the drug prescribed for migraine is a Triptan, not a narcotic.

Anyway, enough about me....I have no idea what exercise you could do that wouldn't cause vasodilation. Good luck.
  • onewhodiets
    onewhodiets Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I realize this is not answering your question and it may be silly to mention as you've had medical attention, but have you tried Maxalt? I consider it a miracle drug for migraines and had to mention, just in case. It has worked wonders for me, my husband and one of my friends. Having said that, when I have a migraine, I can't do much except walk and even that I can't do if it is hot/sunny.
  • coloschick
    Options
    I take Imitrex when I feel a migraine coming on. I could not exercise when I have a migraine, even though the Imitrex really helps me out. I also get very tired from the Imitrex.
  • fearie_jae
    fearie_jae Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I too suffer from chronic migraines frequently and have for years. Sometimes I really can't get out of bed no matter how much prescrip med I take but if I'm half way functional, I use my gazelle to exercise. Its very low impact and sometimes my migraine is a little better by the time I'm done! I hope this helps..
  • djean2
    djean2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I know migraines are caused by many diferent things. I take Maxalt for mine and most of the time I am able to function. I'm not experienced enough to answerr your question, but I wanted to share what has greatly reduced the frequencey of my migraines. I have eliminated all dark colored sodas. I had to prove this theory to myself several times before I gave up on drinking them.

I still get migraines but now I sometimes will skip a month without having one and it was two and three a week before.

Hope you find the primary cause of yours

Good luck.
  • ralevin
    Options
    Yeah, I've tried just about every type (category, not actual drug) of migraine med. The only thing that has ever worked is the narcotic pain killer and muscle relaxants (which has always made me wonder if they're actually migraines, but like I said in response to a previous post, many doctors are convinced they are). Thanks for all the advice on meds, but I'm really looking for advice for exercises that won't make them worse. I've gone years not working out because of them, and that's simply not working. Better to live longer but have to exercise through excruciating pain than to die because I can only work out once or twice a week.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I don't really know what to tell you for the exercise other than do what you can tolerate the best.

I did want to ask though, have you considered food allergies as a source of your migraines? My daughter was getting them several times a month (which wasn't surprising since her dad and I both get migraines now and then). She was having some other issues that we were trying to figure out so we did a few eliminations to see what would happen. First she went dairy free for several weeks. To her relief, going dairy free had no effect whatsoever, not even when she added it back in. Then she went gluten free and it was like someone gave her a magic pill or flipped a switch. I won't list all the improvements she had but I will say that she hasn't had a migraine since. This wasn't something we expected so it was a lovely bonus.

Our family is mostly gluten free now just because it's easier this way (though we're not as strict as she is outside the house). My husband and I haven't had a migraine since she went GF either.

I don't know what you and your doctors have explored but if you haven't looked into a food allergy you might want to consider it. I didn't have migraines nearly as often as it sounds like you do but if I did I think I would be desperate to end them! That just sounds awful! I hope you are able to find a way to get relief and hopefully exercise without pain. :)
  • Amberchalon
    Amberchalon Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I find yoga is something I can still do with migraines-- as well as walking. My migraines tend to happen early in the morning. Also, if I have a hard workout during the evenings, it is a sure thing I will have a migraine the next day.
  • cath129
    cath129 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i usually can't work out with a migraine ... either my head hurts or my body is too tired from the effects of the triptans

depending how the type and dosage of the medication, it could be rebound headaches. at least that was my issue before going on triptans
  • djean2
    djean2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Oh, I just remembered, years ago I was going to a personal trainer and when I had a migraine but was able to function with the Maxalt he would have me do light resistant work with bands and light weighst to not over excert but to keep the blood flowing and it went surprisinglly well.
  • ralevin
    Options
    I don't really know what to tell you for the exercise other than do what you can tolerate the best.

I did want to ask though, have you considered food allergies as a source of your migraines? My daughter was getting them several times a month (which wasn't surprising since her dad and I both get migraines now and then). She was having some other issues that we were trying to figure out so we did a few eliminations to see what would happen. First she went dairy free for several weeks. To her relief, going dairy free had no effect whatsoever, not even when she added it back in. Then she went gluten free and it was like someone gave her a magic pill or flipped a switch. I won't list all the improvements she had but I will say that she hasn't had a migraine since. This wasn't something we expected so it was a lovely bonus.

Our family is mostly gluten free now just because it's easier this way (though we're not as strict as she is outside the house). My husband and I haven't had a migraine since she went GF either.

I don't know what you and your doctors have explored but if you haven't looked into a food allergy you might want to consider it. I didn't have migraines nearly as often as it sounds like you do but if I did I think I would be desperate to end them! That just sounds awful! I hope you are able to find a way to get relief and hopefully exercise without pain. :)

Since I've had them nearly 20 years, I've tried TONS of things: no caffeine (not even a drop) for 9 months, food allergies (a while ago, before "gluten free" was a common phrase), more sleep, less sleep, same sleep schedule 7 days/week, (I could go on and on).

However, the one thing I haven't tried is gluten-free. I've actually considered trying this (and now I'm more likely to do so, now that I've heard a migraine success story about it). It kind of intimidates me, because EVERYTHING i LOVE to eat has gluten. Do you remember how long it took into the gluten-free diet to see results?

Thanks!
  • samb330
    samb330 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Maybe just walking. You could power walk or just take it slow. It's low impact and you could do it as long as you wanted and if your headache gets too intense you can stop. Goodluck, I hope you find something that will work for you.
  • supermom2002
    supermom2002 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    i can't do anything when i've got a migraine. i've tried to push thru it a few times and only made myself throw up. i would agree with just walking...a brisk pace walk that doesn't have your blood pumping too hard. plus the fresh air might help. i know it does for me...sometimes.

i also would suggest (as somebody already has) looking at your diet. start eliminating things.

i think the real solution here is to find the root of the migraine. what's causing you to have so many and reduce the intensity and frequency.

Medical doctors do not always look at the entire picture. when's the last time one of them asked you what you were eating??? i bet never.

since changing my eating habits and exercising on a regular basis mine are almost non existent. probably has a large part with the eliminated stress.
  • ralevin
    Options

Medical doctors do not always look at the entire picture. when's the last time one of them asked you what you were eating??? i bet never.

Excellent point. However, chiropractors and nutritionists have helped me to look at that.

I really mean it when I say that I've tried/investigated just about everything in the past 18 years. :ohwell:
  • heatherrose86
    heatherrose86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi! Your migraine situation is the exact same as mine... Along with the lack of options to fix it :( I walk everyday as much as possible, and save the higher impact, more aggravating things for days when my migraine problems aren't as bad.... I have diagnosed chronic migraine syndrome and it is essentially a 24/7 dull ache that flares up and pounds. I just squeeze in what I can when I have the chance!
  • ralevin
    Options
    Hi! Your migraine situation is the exact same as mine... Along with the lack of options to fix it :( I walk everyday as much as possible, and save the higher impact, more aggravating things for days when my migraine problems aren't as bad.... I have diagnosed chronic migraine syndrome and it is essentially a 24/7 dull ache that flares up and pounds. I just squeeze in what I can when I have the chance!
    There's someone else who gets them as often and bad as me??!! Wow - have you ever had ANY (even moderate) success?
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Since I've had them nearly 20 years, I've tried TONS of things: no caffeine (not even a drop) for 9 months, food allergies (a while ago, before "gluten free" was a common phrase), more sleep, less sleep, same sleep schedule 7 days/week, (I could go on and on).

However, the one thing I haven't tried is gluten-free. I've actually considered trying this (and now I'm more likely to do so, now that I've heard a migraine success story about it). It kind of intimidates me, because EVERYTHING i LOVE to eat has gluten. Do you remember how long it took into the gluten-free diet to see results?

Thanks!

Her migraines weren't daily occurrences so I couldn't give you a time frame on that but she did often have several a week and hasn't had even one since going GF. For some people they can see relief of symptoms within a week. For others it can take several weeks as their body needs more time to recover. I think the common thought on it is, the longer you've been eating foods that your body is having a reaction to, the longer you should expect it to take to recover. I've only heard of it taking several months at the longest though, not years or anything like that.

There are tons of informational websites that can help you get started, especially with what to look for in foods you might buy. Often there are things with gluten that you wouldn't expect and you can gluten yourself without realizing it. If you like to cook at all you can still enjoy foods you love. It just takes a little re-learning for some things but once you get it figured out it's no different than cooking with gluten. The one exception would be breads. There are some decent work arounds but I won't lie and tell you that bread will be the same. :) But if you feel better it will probably be worth it to you.

Here's a site to get you started but if you have questions you can feel free to PM me. There is also a gluten free group here on MFP that has a lot of knowledgeable people in it.

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/p/how-to-go-g-free.html

ETA: I have a gluten free quiche and a gluten free coffee cake cooling in the kitchen right now so it is possible to still eat yummy foods. I have GF cupcakes for my kids birthdays and unless I tell people they have no idea it's any different than usual. :) I REALLY hope you find some relief!
  • Summer5555
    Summer5555 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I generally can't do anything with a full blown migraine attack but if I were to pick one I imagine cycling would be the most bearable with a pair of very dark glasses.

Thankfully we have found medication that works for me so mine are reasonably controlled. I have learnt the foods that trigger it which has taken years of trial and error, so I eat no chocolate, keep my sodium intake low and in particular sugar which seems to be my biggest trigger. I have recently replaced diet soda with water, lots of water, and have noticed a huge improvement over the last 3 weeks.