Swimming lanes? Effectiviness, thoughts, experiences, sugges

Options
To mix up my workout a bit today, I decided to go for a swim and found I truly enjoyed it. I saw many people swimming to and fro, doing countless laps and I wondered if swimming could be a permanent and effective addition to my regime. Anyone have any knowledge in this area, suggestions, or experiences they would care to share?

Replies

• LishaCole
    LishaCole Posts: 245
    Options
    Bump~
  • Sugoiharris
    Sugoiharris Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I love swimming, I spend a great deal of time in the pool. It's a fantastic full body workout and really teaches you to control your breathing during cardio, which has always been a problem for me personally. Try it out for a while and see if you like it. There are so many things you can do in a pool, the water adds resistence and an extra challenge for figuring out how to move and to make it work.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
  • LishaCole
    Options
    I love swimming, I spend a great deal of time in the pool. It's a fantastic full body workout and really teaches you to control your breathing during cardio, which has always been a problem for me personally. Try it out for a while and see if you like it. There are so many things you can do in a pool, the water adds resistence and an extra challenge for figuring out how to move and to make it work.

Haha, I definitely noticed the importance of breathing properly while swimming today as I had troubles keeping a good rhythm. I noticed my shoulders and thighs experienced the most exhaustion after my session today. Thank you :D .
  • LishaCole
    Options

Thanks for the link~

-If my responses are slow it's because I'm writing a report, sorry.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i swam in college, and it is an extremly effective work out. when i started swimming again, i struggled to make up my own work outs. but then i found this.

http://ruthkazez.com/50swimworkouts.html
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I was a swim teach throughout high school, and while I wasn't in great shape, I can say swimming laps with the kids was a good workout. I usually would even have a rescue tube to float on and still, my legs would be sore. We were also required to swim 500 meters a week (which wasn't a lot) to keep our strokes proficient. Definitely a good workout. Just make sure you have proper form!
  • megmo_7
    megmo_7 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Swimming is the most amazing workout!!! I love it. I have not been able to swim for over a month and it is killing me that I cant hop in the pool right now. I lost weight consistently while swimming.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    also, swimming isn't like running or biking where you can just put in the mileage and allow your body to adjust naturally. you really need to focus more on form.

one of the biggest mistakes i see people make is on how they breath. you're supposed to turn your head only slightly out of the water, so the tip of your mouth is still in contact with the water. this is when you breath in. exhale under water. try and turn and breath every three strokes. do not turn and look at the ceiling when you breath.

i gave this tip to a girl swimming at my pool the other day. she was obviously a novice, but then she completely took me by surprise when she went "you mean you're not supposed to go a whole length of the pool in one breath?"

The facts of Swimming: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2402
  • kritterxx
    kritterxx Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Swimming's a really wonderful form of exercise. It works your full body, and you do burn a pretty decent amount of calories.

My recommendation would be to watch your technique though. Sometimes going to the pool's a little painful for me because there are a couple swimmers who are using almost dangerous swimming techniques. Even in such a 'soft' sport as swimming, its still possible to injure yourself or bring back old problems. My mom for one has an old sports injury and swimming certain strokes really aggravates her shoulder and neck. Make sure you're using proper basic technique just in case - not only will this help avoid injury, but you'll also be getting more out of your work out.

- Swam competitively for eight years and been to multiple technique based swim camps.
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I used to swim, I loved it. I lost a lot of weight by swimming. Some people think it's boring but I loved it because I worked out a lot and didn't feel sweaty! Haha. I also got special headphones and mp3 player that could go underwater, so I just listened to music while I swam laps. It was fun stuff.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I swim 3 times a week. I did it to support my wife who is swimming to lose weight for knee surgery. I swim lengths with fins on. I average 30 seconds per length. The fins really help me get the extra burn in. In less than 2 month I have lost most of my belly and my legs have gotten stronger. I usually try for 60 to 80 lengths. I'm 51 years old, ex smokers so this should be pretty easy for other people to do. Swimming rocks.:wink:
  • monicalynne68
    monicalynne68 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I love swimming. Swimming is a great no impact exercise. It works out almost every major muscle group there is, especially your back and shoulders. Try using a kick board and just kicking for a number of lengths. Great for your glutes and hamstrings. I love swimming. You burn a ton of calories and don't get all hot and sweaty. You don't realize how hard you are working because you aren't sweating all over the place but it's a great workout. Stick with it!
  • LishaCole
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am happy to hear about all the success everyone seems to have with it. I will definitely try to ensure I am maintaining proper form. As I am pretty sure I flunked swimming lessons when I was nine (haha), I am probably doing it WRONG.

I definitely enjoy the not sweating part... as the pool closed early this evening I decided to head to the gym for a bit, after only 5 minutes on the bike is was thinking "the pool was so much nicer".
  • LishaCole
    Options
    also, swimming isn't like running or biking where you can just put in the mileage and allow your body to adjust naturally. you really need to focus more on form.

one of the biggest mistakes i see people make is on how they breath. you're supposed to turn your head only slightly out of the water, so the tip of your mouth is still in contact with the water. this is when you breath in. exhale under water. try and turn and breath every three strokes. do not turn and look at the ceiling when you breath.

i gave this tip to a girl swimming at my pool the other day. she was obviously a novice, but then she completely took me by surprise when she went "you mean you're not supposed to go a whole length of the pool in one breath?"

The facts of Swimming: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2402

One breath - I'd pass out, haha.

Thanks for the links, they look like awesome resources.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Swimming is amaaaazing.
    I did swimming lessons for 10 years or so. Never swam competitively, never was interested.

I started again last year due to chronic back pain and haven't looked back.
    I don't do it for weight loss, I swim cos I enjoy it. I find that it's a good way to deal with stress. It's the only time you can exercise and not be distracted by other people, you are completely isolated and the only thing you can hear is your own breathing.

I definitely recommend taking it up, but if you're not confident, get a few casual lessons.