I'm sorry I just need to rant...

Options
Okay so pretty much my mum is not the most ahem supportive person in the world.
I will get an award, eg I got 100% on my first exam and she just says "oh well your brother got 110% with extra credit." For xmas I bought myself a dress to show off my new figure and she told me that I looked fat. My brother used to physically abuse me really bad and she would tell me that it was my fault. EVERYTHING is my fault. According to her 9/11 was my fault... when I was like 10 years old in australia at the time?! okie. I get called names like selfish ***** and cow constantly and when I try to talk to her about it she just turns it around on me and tries to say that if I wasn't such a ***** I wouldn't be getting called one. She also told me that she wished that she had stayed in jail rather than me being born... umm okay love you too :L

Just today though, she told me that the job I want to do should not even be counted as a real job it is so "pathetic". Umm are you kidding :S I am studying to become a Certified Personal Trainer and ever since I have overcome my depression and figured out what I wanna do and become a lot happier within the past year, she has started being completely unbearable. She used to be "okay" but now she is getting worse as she sees me succeeding in life.

Replies

• JBsCrazyGirl
    Options
    You deserve so much more... :cry:

Your plan is amazing, and so far you have come so far.
    I am so sorry you have to deal with things like that, from your own blood.... :grumble:

Concentrate on getting out... and being your own person...find people you can count on to be there for you. You and your plan are so worth it. The farther you go in the right direction in your life, the happier and fuller you will be and feel. You are a strong person, and dont let anyone knock you down :flowerforyou:
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I read this recently on a wise young woman's profile:
    "Don't ever let someone tell you that you can't do something. You got a dream, you gotta protect it. When people can't do something themselves, they're gonna tell you that you can't do it. You want something, you go get it!!"

One great thing about growing up is that you get to decide who is in your life and who is not.
  • MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    "Don't ever let someone tell you that you can't do something. You got a dream, you gotta protect it. When people can't do something themselves, they're gonna tell you that you can't do it. You want something, you go get it!!"

One great thing about growing up is that you get to decide who is in your life and who is not.

Yes agreed. Time to work out how to shift your mother out of a power position in your life. YOU set the limits and boundaries about what kind of behavior is tolerable and acceptable. Then she'll have to behave and be nice if she wants to see you.

Good luck. I know it's not easy, but you do NOT deserve to be treated that way. Time to kick her to the curb.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

So true and I never said I was giving up on my dreams cos of her it just pisses me off.

The only probem is that I cannot afford to move out right now or else I would. I have moved out once before but due to circumstances had to move back. >.<
  • bobthesmogs
    bobthesmogs Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I wish I had good news for you, but some mothers just shouldn't be mothers! It's not a written law that all mums are beautiful, loving, caring, nuturing women ..... that's just a media hyped fairy tale. Your life is about you, and you are doing just fine. We can't control how others react towards us, however they're behaving is ALL to do with them, their beliefs, hang ups whatever. We can however, love and believe in ourselves. Don't take her negativity personally! It's sad and disappointing I know, but trust me, it's about her issues and not you!. Love yourself, believe in yourself and forgive her for her shortcomings. Good Luck with your journey!
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Just because you are genetically linked to a person does not mean you have to respect , care or deal with them. I have never understood the concept of "blood is thicker than water" or "I love them because they are family"

If they are a douche bag *kitten* hat then they are a douche bag *kitten* hat. Why waste your time on their inability to co exist with you ? Move on as soon as you can, find some motivation to get out.

Unfortunately a lot of parents feel that the mere act of giving birth to you and or being a sperm donor somehow entitles them to respect...
  • chellelynn30
    Options
    You are doing an amazing job! Don't let this harsh negativity get you down. It's hard when someone you want and expect to support you and unconditionally love you really seems to give a s***.

Just remember that you are doing this for you and not for her.

Be happy be healthy and be who you want to be.

You will get through this. Be strong!
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    As someone who is old enough to be your mother please allow me to say how proud I am of you. I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. Think of how many lives you will change with your chosen path. The positive impact you will have on people will be mind blowing. Congratulations.

I would encourage you to do whatever you can to be on your own. You know your circumstances best but I hope you are able to find a way.

Take care
  • glendeb
    glendeb Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My mum is similar to yours.

When I was growing up we were too similar and clashed all the time.

Four years ago I tried to get fitter, and did a women's short triathlon. She told my sister I wouldn't be able to do it - so I used that comment as motivation to finish.

This past year I've lst 27kg, and she has begrudgingly accepted that I'm smaller than her and is now tryng to lose some weight. I completed the same womens triathlon earlier this month and she wasn't as horrible as the previous time, but she wasn't all out supportive either.

As I've got older I've learnt to accept that thats the way she is, she isn't going to change and the only way to not be hurt by her is to recognise those things. I try really hard not to be influenced by her and I will bust my butt to never grow up like her either.

Good luck
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Time for you to mentally remove this negative person from your life. I understand you still must live with her but try to do your own thing. No need to include her in your accomplishments, you know you are doing awesome, just continue to do what makes you happy and move on.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    All us old timers can tell you, but until you do it for yourself, you'll continue to take what she serves out:

You gotta get Mom out of your life.

I've had to do it with my ex husband (father to my kids) after 16 years of marriage. It's HARD. I know. We all know.

BUT-

As long as you continue with her in your life, you'll always feel the way you do RIGHT NOW.

Cut your losses. Family isn't who you were born to/ born in to. Family is who you make with your life.

Find a new family.
  • Deutsche1999
    Options
    Please rant all you want. It helps. I was raised under the same circumstances and I let it affect my life and it still does to this day. It made me a stronger person but also in the same breath it made me weak. I spend the last 3 decades trying to make somebody happy that clearly never will be and no matter what I did it was never as good as what my brother did .. ( he is unemployed, and alcoholic and drug addict) I have 2 degrees and am self employed, yet somehow I am still and always will be a failure. It is the hardest thing to overcome but with help from a trained professional counselor and some great friends, you can learn to still love your mom but not let her affect your life. if you would like to talk please don't hesitate to message me .
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    sorry to say, she is never going to change. All you can do is change how you deal with her. Limit your exposure to her, don't place any value on what she has to say or do. And be proud of your achievements. Good luck.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your helpful and supportive words :)
  • Imajicat
    Imajicat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same family.

If you can't do it with her support, do it just so you can say "LOOK! I did it, so NYEAH!"
  • dizzycoolbabe
    dizzycoolbabe Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Just ignore her - she's one jealous mom because you're achieving something that she hasn't perhaps? Well done for getting 100% in a exam btw!

Look at your mother's life - has she really achieved anything, does she go out to work? (I don't mean that horribly, but if she's been stuck in the house day in day out she may resent the fact)!

Look to good friends for inspiration if you're not getting it at home and you do what you want to do - it's your life so you have to do what YOU want to - your mother can't live your life for you, ultimately...
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    The best revenge is living well!!!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Okay so pretty much my mum is not the most ahem supportive person in the world.
    I will get an award, eg I got 100% on my first exam and she just says "oh well your brother got 110% with extra credit." For xmas I bought myself a dress to show off my new figure and she told me that I looked fat. My brother used to physically abuse me really bad and she would tell me that it was my fault. EVERYTHING is my fault. According to her 9/11 was my fault... when I was like 10 years old in australia at the time?! okie. I get called names like selfish ***** and cow constantly and when I try to talk to her about it she just turns it around on me and tries to say that if I wasn't such a ***** I wouldn't be getting called one. She also told me that she wished that she had stayed in jail rather than me being born... umm okay love you too :L

Just today though, she told me that the job I want to do should not even be counted as a real job it is so "pathetic". Umm are you kidding :S I am studying to become a Certified Personal Trainer and ever since I have overcome my depression and figured out what I wanna do and become a lot happier within the past year, she has started being completely unbearable. She used to be "okay" but now she is getting worse as she sees me succeeding in life.

This is major emotional abuse. No wonder you were depressed.
    Your mom sounds like a narcissist. And those people tend to never change.
    In order to maintain your success and sanity you might need to put some distance between the two of you. :frown:
  • chrisy0316
    Options
    All us old timers can tell you, but until you do it for yourself, you'll continue to take what she serves out:

You gotta get Mom out of your life.

I've had to do it with my ex husband (father to my kids) after 16 years of marriage. It's HARD. I know. We all know.

BUT-

As long as you continue with her in your life, you'll always feel the way you do RIGHT NOW.

Cut your losses. Family isn't who you were born to/ born in to. Family is who you make with your life.

Find a new family.

I agree 100%. I recently divorced my husband of 14 years because I couldn't handle his insensitivity and stupidity. I have since learned that there are 2 kinds of people in this world...Those who benefit our lives and those who don't. It's up to us to decide who we let in...
    Good luck! We are here for you! You are doing a fantastic job!!!
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I feel for you - as a mother of four grown up kids, I just can not get why some people are like your mother - it is alien to me, but I know as other posters have said, that some people just should not be parents. You sound like you have pretty much sorted your life, your goals, and you are achieving them, so just try and not get emotionally involved with her games.

I do know that when I was having trouble dealing with one of my daughters, the paediatrician said "Be the person you want her to be" and it worked. I wonder if that would work in reverse and you treat your mother the way you want her to treat you? Or if that doesn't work, just give her the "brick wall' treatment - this one is my own devising - you have some people in your life that will never be caring of you, no matter how much you try. They are like a brick wall - they cannot bend, move, care, or change. So you just walk alongside that wall, don't waste emotional energy on it, you can echo repsonses if the wall talks to you "hello" - hello that sort of thing. Mind you I have not had to try this with a family member, but it helped me with very difficult people in my working life - and it worked.

Take care, eat well and exercise, study hard, save your money and plan for the day when you can leave and become the butterfly you can be :flowerforyou: