Eating late = gaining weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• WinWinGo
    WinWinGo Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It's 10:40 here and I just ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I have no regrets.

I really want one of those right now... but it's 2:30am...but I'll be up... but...

Ahem. I don't think the timing matters unless you're going straight to bed. Calories matter though.
  • JBsCrazyGirl
    Options
    It is a myth

BUT

Sometimes it might matter!

For example,

The night before my weigh in (Tuesday mornings)
    I will NOT eat past 7pm.
    I do this, because I want my body to have a good amount of time to burn what I have consumed that day, and by doing this I hope it will help keep my water weigh, lower, for a more accurate weigh in :smile:
  • butterflyrae2010
    butterflyrae2010 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I think it's a myth. I have eaten late and not eaten late and see no difference.
    I work swing shift so my dinner is at 9:30. It's not a heavy meal however. I don't go to bed until 2 or 3am so I guess it's not really eating before bedtime anyways.

I always wonder why I am more hungry at night say between midnight and 1am, then I am in the day.
  • Robbie32
    Robbie32 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I would think that eating a meal before bedtime would effect weight loss. Maybe not a light snack like a few crackers or fruit, because the sleep activity and metabolism would cause those calories to be used, but if your having enchiladas with beans and rice (even if its low fat) I would think it better to eat well before your body is at rest because if those calories are not used weather protein or carbs they will eventually be broken down and stored in fat cells. Im no expert but it just makes sense to me.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    For me personally I think it is truth. After dinner if I stop myself from eating before I go to bed, I will lose weight. If I keep eating at night I will gain.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I would think that eating a meal before bedtime would effect weight loss. Maybe not a light snack like a few crackers or fruit, because the sleep activity and metabolism would cause those calories to be used, but if your having enchiladas with beans and rice (even if its low fat) I would think it better to eat well before your body is at rest because if those calories are not used weather protein or carbs they will eventually be broken down and stored in fat cells. Im no expert but it just makes sense to me.

It might "make sense to you" but it's not scientifically correct at all.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3508745

There are several more studies linked to that one if you look.

I routinely eat most of my calories at dinner, which I normally eat between 9pm and midnight.
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Not especially but try to keep your insulin ( amount of sugar you eat) constant through out the day ,as the bigger the spike compared to the last the more likely it is the body will try to store it as fat rather than use it as energy.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    My stomach dont know what time of day it is...
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Myth. I eat when I want and lose weight. It's all about calories in vs calories out.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    myth. your body needs as many calories as it needs during a 24 hour cycle. it's not like your body stops working at bed time.

and if the not eating before going to sleep to avoid gaining weight had any truth to it, then what about naps?

the weight loss people see with not eating after a certain time has more to do with the fact that they are eating less calories overall rather than when they are eating.
  • bulletproofkasper
    bulletproofkasper Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Myth !!! :)
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!