Aussies: Liquid Breakfast

Options
Nikki582
Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
Hello aussies! Let me start by saying: I'm not looking strictly for a quick fix meal replacement. On weights mornings I get home, throw back a protein shake, then I'm full (and busy) until my drive to work. So on the way I drink an Up & Go and eat some Belvita Breakfast Biscuits (which are YUMMY! btw). However the cost of Up & Goes can get exy so I'm just hoping that someone can recommend me a "diet shake" of some kind that's tasty so I can replace the drinks with that (shake it up, throw it in a thermos... )

So yes, nice brands, brands to steer clear of.. how's the Aldi brand? :)

Thanks!

Replies

• gazz777au
    gazz777au Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Create !!!

Weet bix, yoghurt, banana, honey, milk, etc in an blender.

This morning I did it without blender - breakfast in a bowl.

PB on Multi-grain toast is quick and easy while you zip past the kitchen.

Integrate the steps - quite fun really !

Let's hear what you do Nikki

Cheers

Gazz
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I recommend making your own smoothies and putting it in a thermos.

My favourite is:

1/2 cup skim milk
    1/2 banana
    1 tsp peanut butter
    1/4 cup raw egg whites (optional. not the best way to consume them, I know.)
    2 cubes of ice.

I also like:

2 cups of baby spinach
    1/2 banana
    1 cup skim milk
    1/2 banana
    1/4 cup raw egg whites
    1 cup frozen berries

probably not everyone's cup of tea. it's high in sugar, but it's better than up and go's...
  • Nikki582
    Options
    Okay okay, but what if I make "the next excuse" and tell you that time is precious for me in the morn... and a blender is not something I have right now. :p
  • tanga_gurl
    tanga_gurl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Im not from aus, but close enough nz! lol I also have a up and go every morning on my way and yes they are so expensive! I know they sell them in 1litre containers too and they work out cheaper that way, you just have to poor into your own container, or you could evan thin it out a bit with some trim milk?
  • mariagabriella
    Options
    it takes a few seconds to throw everything in a blender, or you could get it ready the night before.

but you don't have a blender so my suggestion was pointless! haha. I don't know where I would be without mine! it's worth investing if you intend to use it, but they are pricey.

as for your first post I honestly don't know what to recommend as I typically steer clear of premade drinks. I do bring milk with me as a snack though.

edit: oh my how could I forget, do you like milo? because milo is full of good stuff. works out cheaper than up and go's and other diet drinks.
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    There is only one true aussie liquid breakfast .... and it is not healthy to be drinking it at the start of the day ...
  • Nikki582
    Options

edit: oh my how could I forget, do you like milo? because milo is full of good stuff. works out cheaper than up and go's and other diet drinks.
    ACTUALLY now that you mention that, I was eyeing off sustigen the other day wondering if that'd do :)
  • dawnsw
    dawnsw Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello! I drink the Arbonne vanilla protein shakes with Almond milk.
  • mariagabriella
    Options
    There is only one true aussie liquid breakfast .... and it is not healthy to be drinking it at the start of the day ...

I'm interested to know what you consider the only true Aussie liquid breakfast to be?
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options

ACTUALLY now that you mention that, I was eyeing off sustigen the other day wondering if that'd do :)

My friend drinks sustigen when she's short of time or before heading out on a run. I personally can't run on an empty stomach so I haven't given it a go, but she swears by it, and then has her slice of toast when she gets time a couple of hours later at work.
  • kirstyjosephine
    Options
    Optifast shakes may be an option even though you're not on the program? I was sitting in a diabetes clinic (as a student) and the doctor recommended it to an obese patient as a nutritionally complete program. I can't comment on cost - however, completely agree on the $$$ of Up and Go!
  • shakama
    shakama Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi there - I have been having the Aldi brand shake - have tried the chocolate, vanilla and coffee flavours. I love the coffee one and at less than $2 a pop I swear by them.

Cheers - Sharron
  • prettybub
    prettybub Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    "My Whey" Shakes are pretty good with Skim Milk . The Chocolate or Vanilla one in a shaker with some PB2( 1 tablespoon) is to die for!! Choc one taste like PB cups..and vanilla one taste like a snickers! haha And Banana in its own skin. easy and quick grub on the run.
  • prettybub
    prettybub Posts: 54 Member
    Options

I'm interested to know what you consider the only true Aussie liquid breakfast to be?

Beer??!!
  • mariagabriella
    Options
    I was thinking beer but wasn't sure!
  • Keladry
    Keladry Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • Nikki582
    Options
    heehee i would do beer BUT the police don't appreciate people drinking and driving, and schools don't -really- shine on staff who are drunk... :p
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    The aldi "Fit and Active" choc shake is pretty good, and i'm in the US. I have it almost every morning before work.
  • gazz777au
    Options
    Okay okay, but what if I make "the next excuse" and tell you that time is precious for me in the morn... and a blender is not something I have right now. :p
    No excuses ! Blender optional.

See my diary has "2nd breakfast" ? Not just LOTR-inspired mate.

6-packs of yoghurt, Aldi 'wheat biscuits' and some milk sitting at work make you slide into the day better than a nice cuppa sometimes. Try it for a week and tell me I'm wrong. You can focus better on your driving (I'm glad I dont drive up in gold old RBP anymore lol). jk Nikki ! It's probably only a matter of time b4 you figure out where I live exactly haha.
  • gazz777au
    Options
    heehee i would do beer BUT the police don't appreciate people drinking and driving, and schools don't -really- shine on staff who are drunk... :p
    Not where I work of course but I have been around SEQ a little ;) nuff said !