Exercises I can do with a hurt lower back?

Options
OK, so klutzy me fell down last week rollerskating with my kids at the roller rink. First time I've fallen in over 20 years and we skate at least monthly... OUCH! :sad:

Anyway, I seem to have jacked up my lower back on one side a bit, so I'm trying to do exercise that won't further aggravate the area. I am still walking, and walking, and walking... I walk 3-8 miles/day. But, hoping there is some other stuff I can do. Suggestions?

Thanks for reading!!! :smile:

Replies

• kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MMoore_91
    MMoore_91 Posts: 10
    Options
    Do you have hand weights or heavy cans? You could do bicep curls, tricep kickbacks, and shoulder raises. Also if you have stairs you can do calf raises.
  • mamabear272
    mamabear272 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I used to work for neurosurgeons and the first thing I have to ask is have you seen a doctor? You could have really hurt yourself and you don't want to mess around with your spine! Your family doc will probably do x-rays to make sure nothing's broken (which is important).
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    No, I haven't seen a doctor yet... I was going to do so this next week if it didn't feel better. I am worried that i might have done real damage.
  • mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    No, I haven't seen a doctor yet... I was going to do so this next week if it didn't feel better. I am worried that i might have done real damage.

The lower back's nothing to mess with. I did something to my back (who knows what) working out, and it took a full year to recover completely. Meanwhile, I couldn't sit for more than half an hour and my exercise was pretty limited.

The one exercise I could really do, and really made my back feel better, was tai chi. If there's a place near by you can practice some (if your back continues to hurt), go check it out. A good instructor will have you feeling better in no time. A video really isn't good enough though.
  • studentUK
    studentUK Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great for low impact cardio, and do lots of core stability work that strengthens your lower back and core muscles to prevent further injury!
    Also I'd recommend going to a pilates class and tell the teacher about your back problems - they should give you some moves for core stability, plus it's a fun workout...
    But yeah getting it checked out is important, I hurt my lower back through rowing a while back and saw an osteopath who has helped a lot.

Hope that helps!