Debating on buying a scale

I told myself when I started this journey to improve my quality of life that it is not about the number on the scale, I am more interested in over-all well being.
But I have to say it felt so good when I saw that my weight had dropped, it's a validation to the changes I am making.
I've been thinking about buying a scale for home so that I can see the numbers on the scale but I am also worried that will become a main focus.
I can weigh myself occasionally at my doctors and my son goes to the doctors at least once a month (he has been maintaining an auto immune disease for 9yrs) so i can always weigh myself there.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    But I have to say it felt so good when I saw that my weight had dropped,?
    If it made you feel that good, think how bad you would feel if the number went up. I would say don't bother. If you are making great progress without it then don't risk screwing up your healthy mindset for no reason. Especially since you have a doctor keeping a check on you, so you can see long term progress.
  • dododo123
    dododo123 Posts: 105 Member
    To be honest, if you had been feeling good, I would not buy a scale. See my last topic: I have gained a pound. I feel so bad seeing the numbers did not change even though my body is changing.
  • mrsladybrewer
    mrsladybrewer Posts: 70 Member
    If you have made it this far without one, I wouldn't say to start now. They can be very discouraging, trust me I know. I think the once a month weigh in is great! It keeps you on track, but you can't be obsessive with it.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    I can't answer your question about a bathroom scale. I find it useful but some people don't.

But I definitely recommend you get a kitchen scale. Every kitchen should have one.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    I know everyone has an opinion on this, but I think you should buy one. Make sure the one you buy weighs consistently. If you get on it, weigh, step off, turn it back on, weigh again, and it says the same weight, then you're good. If it gives you a different weight every time, it's not a good scale.

I also think you should weigh every day. Some people say you shouldn't because weight fluctuates from day to day. But if you don't weigh everyday, then you don't know how the food you ate the day before affects your weight. Weighing everyday lets you see how sodium affects your weight and other things. You're less likely to freak out over your weight going up and down when you know there is a reason.
  • I do have a kitchen scale one of my top 3 favorite investments