Resting heart rate of 44 and calorie burn

Options
Hey Yall!
I've recently gotten my resting heart rate down to 44, does that mean it's going to be a lot harder for me to burn calories during my workouts? If so that really sucks, Im doing Insanity right now and training for my first half marathon in May. I really want to be 130lbs so I would have to lose 6 more pounds, but is that going to be possible now.
Thanks Jess

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    When you've gotten in shape you just have to run faster to get the heart rate up to the same point it was before. But that is the point of getting into shape for a race.
  • jayessica
    jayessica Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    bump
  • katie133
    katie133 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    yes as the above poster said, now you will have to work harder, or run faster to get your heart rate up to where it was before..
  • katie133
    Options
    the more in shape i get, the lower and lower my calorie burns from doing the same work out, and the lower my heart rate gets.. i just have to push harder
  • tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    As you get stronger you'll have to work harder to elevate your heart rate. That's a really low resting heart rate, where are you when your just walking around the house doing mundane tasks?
  • jayessica
    Options
    Thanks yall! tjsusong: just doing normal things during the day it probably goes to 60s-70s. I run and started doing Insanity before that I did Slim in 6 but i've always been an athlete and in shape until I had my daughters. I guess ill have to start pushing myself harder. I start at a gym next week, got a great deal of $6 a month at a brand new gym :) Maybe ill get with a personal trainer and see what I can do.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    the more in shape i get, the lower and lower my calorie burns from doing the same work out, and the lower my heart rate gets.. i just have to push harder

This!

The things that used to get my heart rate up? Well, they don't work anymore. I used to be able to get it up while walking at 3.5 and now? Well, it requires me to be lightly jogging at 4.2 to get it up. And my calorie burns are so much lower than they used to be. I wish I could be my size and burn 800 or more calories on the treadmill again.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Hey Yall!
    I've recently gotten my resting heart rate down to 44, does that mean it's going to be a lot harder for me to burn calories during my workouts? If so that really sucks, Im doing Insanity right now and training for my first half marathon in May. I really want to be 130lbs so I would have to lose 6 more pounds, but is that going to be possible now.
    Thanks Jess

No--not unless you run slower.

Your resting heart rate, per se, does not affect your calorie burn in any way.

The amount of calories your burn during exercise is affected by the [absolute intensity of exercise] and [body weight]. So, if you are working at the same intensity (e.g. running 6 mph) and body weight is the same, your calorie burn at that workload will be roughly the same. Your heart rate may be lower at that absolute workload (6 mph) because of an increased fitness level and resulting lower resting heart rate, but your calorie burn will be the same.

Heart rate is a "relative" indicator of intensity. By that I mean that heart rate reflects the "percentage of maximum" at which you are working. It doesn't tell you what workload that percentage represents. Maximum heart rate doesn't really change with exercise training. An exercise heart rate of 150 might represent 80% of one's maximum. After training, that 150 heart rate will still be roughly 80% of one's maximum. The difference is that, with training, one's maximum aerobic fitness level increases, so now one can work HARDER at an 80% maximum heart rate than before--e.g. now one might have to run at 6.5 mph to achieve an 80% heart rate effort, instead of 6.0 mph.
  • Azdak
    Options

If you are doing an unstructured workout, like a class or circuit training, it might be that, with an increased fitness level, you are not pushing yourself as hard in the movements. However, the lowered heart rate does not, by itself, mean you are burning fewer calories.

In any case, pushing harder is usually a good thing.
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Well I guess my first question is, How did you get your heart rate down to 44? What did it used to be?
  • katie133
    Options

If you are doing an unstructured workout, like a class or circuit training, it might be that, with an increased fitness level, you are not pushing yourself as hard in the movements. However, the lowered heart rate does not, by itself, mean you are burning fewer calories.

In any case, pushing harder is usually a good thing.

lol well according to my heart rate monitor it does, and i follow that

also, i dont do fitness classes, i run, which is why i posted in this
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Well I thought it was bad to have a below normal heart rate. Mine showed 53 at the drs office once and I thought the nurse was going to stroke out over it being too low.
  • trac3
    trac3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hey Yall!
    Thanks Jess

No--not unless you run slower.

Your resting heart rate, per se, does not affect your calorie burn in any way.

The amount of calories your burn during exercise is affected by the [absolute intensity of exercise] and [body weight]. So, if you are working at the same intensity (e.g. running 6 mph) and body weight is the same, your calorie burn at that workload will be roughly the same. Your heart rate may be lower at that absolute workload (6 mph) because of an increased fitness level and resulting lower resting heart rate, but your calorie burn will be the same.

Heart rate is a "relative" indicator of intensity. By that I mean that heart rate reflects the "percentage of maximum" at which you are working. It doesn't tell you what workload that percentage represents. Maximum heart rate doesn't really change with exercise training. An exercise heart rate of 150 might represent 80% of one's maximum. After training, that 150 heart rate will still be roughly 80% of one's maximum. The difference is that, with training, one's maximum aerobic fitness level increases, so now one can work HARDER at an 80% maximum heart rate than before--e.g. now one might have to run at 6.5 mph to achieve an 80% heart rate effort, instead of 6.0 mph.

^^^^^^^This!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This biggest difference (I've found) in improving my fitness is my heart rate recovery time between intervals or post exercise.
  • jayessica
    Options
    When I started running over a year ago it was 80s and since then I definitely run more weekly and I exercise daily (Insanity, Slim in 6, weight training), I was very surprised when I took it in the morning and it was that low. But that just shows that Im doing something right because the fitter you get the lower its supposed to go :) And I definitely feel fitter.
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Ok. As long as it is not that low from taking a medication. It is ok to be that low if it is because you are FIT. But if you are on any medication that regulates blood pressure/heart rate I would advise your doctor. Some people say that having a lower heart rate makes it a bit more challenging to burn calories....But just stay active as you are and you will be fine!
  • jayessica
    Options
    aquasw16: No im not on any medication, just fit I guess :) After I do my run today I'll be able to gage if my calories burned is the same, hopefully it will be but I will push harder if I have to . I guess sometimes we have to get out of our comfort zones to see the changes :)
  • Azdak
    Options
    Well I thought it was bad to have a below normal heart rate. Mine showed 53 at the drs office once and I thought the nurse was going to stroke out over it being too low.

A lot of medical people don't have much experience with athletically-conditioned people who still look like average folks. And they often don't know any more exercise physiology than a "lay" person. So, the nurse's reaction doesn't surprise me.
  • kthotwater
    kthotwater Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a HR of 44 as well. I have worn a HR monitor off and on for years and it does matter b/c you do burn less calories when your heart is in better shape. Try changing up your routine. Instead of just running straight for an hour, do some interval workouts in between. You'll just get in more and more shape ;) Just be glad your scale hasn't gone up!!
  • Azdak
    Options
    I have a HR of 44 as well. I have worn a HR monitor off and on for years and it does matter b/c you do burn less calories when your heart is in better shape. Try changing up your routine. Instead of just running straight for an hour, do some interval workouts in between. You'll just get in more and more shape ;) Just be glad your scale hasn't gone up!!

No you don't--the HRM calorie display is lower because the settings are out of date and the HRM does not know your fitness level has increased. If you are working at the same workload and weight has not changed, you are still burning essentially the same number of calories.
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

I love when the person taking my heart rate says "You must be a runner" (which I am)!!!!! My resting HR is around 45