How do you 'catch up' on a missed meal?

Options
I have a REALLY bad habit of only eating one meal on the weekends; it stems from the fact that my weekends are pretty much completely unscheduled. I get up whenever, I piddle around (or work overtime), eat dinner with my husband at some point... But a lot of the time, I don't get lunch, either because I get up really late, or I just don't think about it.

Today, for example, my husband and I ran around all day, then came home and had a low calorie dinner. I've got almost 1,000 calories left to eat for the day, to make a healthy days worth. And I'm still getting ready now to do a heavy work out.

So what's the best way to 'make up' a missed meal?

I'm snacking lightly on some treats I usually deny myself, like a single serving of dark chocolate orange slices. Is that generally an 'okay' thing to do? Or do I just need to go grab an actual meal, even though I ate only an hour or two ago?

Replies

• kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Add some calorie dense nutritious snacks that you love that are quick and easy to graze on. Your favorite nuts, some homemade Guacamole and a few decent brand corn tortilla chips, a big spoon of peanut or other nut butter, sunflower seeds, raisins, bananas, maybe even a good quality energy/protein bar.
  • whoiskat23
    whoiskat23 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My problem too, minus the heavy workout. :blushing: :laugh: . Curious as to what others think or do. :flowerforyou:
  • Usakoneko
    Usakoneko Posts: 21
    Options
    Thank you for the advice! I did have some protein bars and shakes, so I had some of those to catch up a little. I'll have to remember to keep some on hand, as well as try and watch my 'lunch' anyway. Thank you again!
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    If you only have time for one main meal, plan it so it has more caloric density to it.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Maybe try adding a protein shake into your day? When I need some extra calories I'll make one with 1-1.5 scoops chocolate protein, 1-2 TB peanut butter, frozen banana, 1 cup milk, and a few ice cubes. My shake yesterday was around 525 calories and 53g protein. You can change things up, but a protein shake/ smoothie is a really easy way to get some quick calories in.
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Balance27
    Balance27 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Maybe keep snacks with you on the go so you can add 100 calls here and there. Something like trail mix with yogurt chips. Bananas will give you 100 calories at a time. If you are running around all day, like I usually do, on weekends you may find your "meals" are more grazing snacks throughout the day.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    For me the weekends can be a bad thing as well I try to schedule my three meals a day but sometimes it is hard plus to snacks sometimes my meals and snacks run together but I just log it and go for it. It just works with it if I get up at 10am then that is my breakfast/snack time. I am more or less combing my snacks and meals.
  • sheilsun
    sheilsun Posts: 47
    Options
    I try to take some trail mix, fruit like banana, cut up apple, grapes in carrier with ice pack, yogurt, low fat, if time Hummus (Costco has great buys and varities) on whole grain crackers, and walnuts..Try to have in the kitchen ready to go. Try not to reach a point where I am so hungry I will feel awful and anything will do!
  • Trutra
    Trutra Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat, especially on a Sunday. I try and grab a yoghurt before I go out, and then keep that day for my treat day.