Low thyroid

Options
I was just diagnosed with a low thyroid and put on levoxyl 25 mg. Are there any of you that have a low thyroid and are actively losing weight?

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I lost around 50 pounds prior to being treated for my low thyroid! I lost it all again after starting treatment. I'm trying to lose it all again now. LOL! But my gaining weight back has nothing to do with my thyroid and everything to do with a food allergy I didn't know I had.

You're going to find with setting your weight loss goal to 2 pounds a week, you will be losing 0.5-1 pound instead. You may find that eating back exercise calories can make you gain. It's more difficult to lose weight with a thyroid problem, but it's possible! You have to be meticulous and 120% honest with yourself in your diary. Everything you eat or drink will need to be logged, even if it's just one bite of something, as those calories really add up.

There's a Hypothyroid/hyerthyroid group here that's really active and quite helpful that you might like to join! I'm a member of it too, and they've really helped keep me motivated even when the weight loss just wasn't happening at all.
  • klmnumbers
    klmnumbers Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Yes. I had Grave's disease (hyperthyroidism), but I had thyroid ablation about 3 years ago. So, I've been living with a non-existent thyroid since then (and on levothyroxine as well. My dosage is 137 mcg though, and I have to take an extra half pill on Sundays).

Since 2010, I've lost about 49 pounds. So, it is definitely possible, but the weight doesn't come off as predictably as it does with other people. I've had a weird past month and a half, in fact. I have eaten well for the most part, and I'm not really plateauing, but my loss has been erratic. Like, I won't lose at all for two weeks, then drop 3 lbs on the third week even though I should be losing 1.5 a week.

it can be frustrating, but if you stick with it, the weight WILL come off.
  • latinahada
    latinahada Posts: 168
    Options
    I have had hypothyroidism for over 2 years...I started this journey Oct. 12th, 2011 & I am down 36#'s (and still going)!! Good luck & feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • beckizzle
    beckizzle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My thyroid went very low after I came back from living in hot Australia for a year, constantly struggle to keep warm, always feeling the cold! But I'm on natural supplements to support thyroid function! I totally recommend staying away from prescription meds. It's a longer journey, but your body will thank you for it! I hope you are feeling better soon xxxxx

Oh yeah, I'm defo getting fitter, but it seems alot harder... here's to helping each other!
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Yes and yes.
  • Falling2Grace
    Falling2Grace Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Me! I gaiend 30lb in 2 weeks because i had postpartum induced hypothyroid :( ....it was terrible.
    Ive also suffered with low thyroid on and off my entire life (since i was 10!)
    I was on 100mcg of levothyroxrine per day. now i am taking 88mcg

Ladies i will be adding all of you! lol we need one anothers support because having a low thyroid makes this journey 8 million x more difficult.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's.... been diagnosed since 2002. I lost 90 lbs in 8 months using MFP and have been maintaining for a year... I reset my ticker at the beginning of the year btw.

My dosage of Synthroid is much higher than yours since my thyroid produces nothing... so don't think for one second that it's an excuse to carry around excess weight as 99% of people think...

I know that sounds harsh but me and tons of others here are PROOF that it isn't a "death sentence" in terms of weight loss. Keep pushing!!!
  • grumpya
    grumpya Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    my husbands thyroid failed totally & he is on thyroxine but he has lost 40lbs. It is slow but it is possible
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    Options

You're going to find with setting your weight loss goal to 2 pounds a week, you will be losing 0.5-1 pound instead. You may find that eating back exercise calories can make you gain. It's more difficult to lose weight with a thyroid problem, but it's possible! You have to be meticulous and 120% honest with yourself in your diary. Everything you eat or drink will need to be logged, even if it's just one bite of something, as those calories really add up.

I have hypothyroidism and I agree with this!!! I have the hardest time losing the weight. The only thing that has helped me are the meds and a low carb diet. Everyone is different and you will find what works for you. Hang in there! It is worth it. :)
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    The only thing that has helped me are the meds and a low carb diet. Everyone is different and you will find what works for you. Hang in there! It is worth it. :)

Ditto!!

Yes, I am at 125mcg.

You CAN lose weight!! Trust me. I have lost 60lbs of baby fat in my last two pregnancies and was Hypo.

But, when you notice the scale move up and things just do not seem right, get rechecked. I had to do that 6 months ago, and I had to readjust my meds. I also asked my DR to keep my TSH levels closer to Hyper range and not the Hypo (.1 TSH)

Research coconut oil. I was told to eat this for my skin, but when I read about coconut oil, it says it helps thyroid function. I am only one month of doing coconut oil, so I am not sure if it has helped my thyroid...but I will be interested in seeing how it is tested this summer.
  • Cherishanne
    Cherishanne Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism as well, I've lost weight without being on a supplemental replacement, but four days ago my Dr. put me on levothyroxine 100mcg so I'm not sure how that will affect weight loss or energy levels. Good luck, I know you can have success :)
  • siberianlilly
    siberianlilly Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism! I did two rounds of P90X before I found out. I did lose inches and get tones both times, but I didn't have the scale move. My sister also has thyroid issues (it runs in the family) and had hers removed. Because of her I found out about mine. I'm on levo. too. I'm still losing weight, some days are better than others, but the inches are getting smaller and I'm getting toned. Do lose hope! You CAN do this!
    Side note: hypo. needs more cardio! We tend to hold onto fat for dear life, so that was a HUGE help for me! Another was learning to eat frequent, small meals to keep my metabolism up.
  • Stace5
    Stace5 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've got diagnosed hypothyroid 9 years ago and have been taking 125mcg for the last 6 years. I was a little overweight but have managed to lose 15lbs so far! It is possible just may take a little longer :)
  • jaireed
    jaireed Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I too am on the 25 mg meds. I think it has helped me a ton! I stuggled to lose weight for my wedding a year ago working out 2 hours a day and doing yoga and cutting calories. I was so confused because it was such a struggle, but I did lose the weight. When I got diagnosed in the summer I thought oh this is why it is so hard to keep the weight off and used it as an excuse, and gained 30 pounds, even tho I was on the meds. :blushing: Whoops! Now I'm back on track. I had to cut out carbs, log EVERYTHING I ate and work out. I have lost 11 pounds so far. I set my alarm an hour early to take my pill and then I go back to sleep. I find the medicine works better if you don't have ANYTHING with it for at least an hour.
  • candicejn
    candicejn Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed hypothyroid 1.5 years ago. I'm currently on 60mg Armour, since about November. I'm finding it easier to lose now than it ever was before I got on the meds. Good luck! :)
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed hypothyroid in 2004. I wasn't overweight for my height but was certainly heavier than I had been in my life.
    I am on 100mcg of levothyroxine. I still tend to feel tired all the time though, even though my bloods are apparently normal.
    I don't find it hard to lose weight at all, however.
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I have had hypothyroidism for about 8 years now. I have been on medication that long as well. I would say that is when I started gaining the weight. With the help of MFP and exercise I have lost the weight I gained, so yes it is possible. It isnt easy and it takes time but give it a chance and dont give up.
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Yes my husband has had a complete thyroidectomy due to thryoid cancer, he has never been over weight but recently went off his thyroxine for twenty days for a neck scan. He gained probably 2 kg's, he's lost that again.
    I have Hashimoto's.... been diagnosed since 2002. I lost 90 lbs in 8 months using MFP and have been maintaining for a year... I reset my ticker at the beginning of the year btw.

My dosage of Synthroid is much higher than yours since my thyroid produces nothing... so don't think for one second that it's an excuse to carry around excess weight as 99% of people think...

I know that sounds harsh but me and tons of others here are PROOF that it isn't a "death sentence" in terms of weight loss. Keep pushing!!!
  • frexca
    frexca Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello... just found out I have a low thyroid a few months ago. And as with many of you... trying to overcome this and still lose weight. Still trying to figure out what the best foods to eat and not to eat.

Please feel free to add me to your list of supporters! :happy:
  • Morgan803
    Morgan803 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Ive had hypthyroid since i was 4, its easy to put on weight it seems as though butttt you can lose weight too once you get your thyroid in balance, and maintain a healty lifestyle, you still have to work for it the meds arent a miracle drug but you can do it girl