diabetics?

Options
IS there anyone who uses this with diabetes? I am not new to the site but as of yesterday I am new to diabetes! I have no clue of even how many calories to do a day. Can anyone help???

Replies

• mochomito
    mochomito Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump
  • thompson000
    Options
    hello, I just plug in info. and it spits out calories, the amount of calories does not affect my diabetes, with my medication and insulin I do feel the need to have some carbs. during the day to keep away to low of blood sugars for me. Just keep eating healthy, drink water and excercise, diet and exercise does diabetes good!
  • mochomito
    mochomito Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    when you go see the dietician he/she will talk to you about cabs and how many you should stay under or in between - I think there is a way that you can manually input that in here - so that should help a little bit.

I don't have diebetes - but my dad was just diagnosed about a month ago and I go with him to the appointments.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Check out dlife.com
  • LReneeWalker
    LReneeWalker Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have been a diabetic for years! My baby just turned 13 so that would be 13 years to be exact. One thing I can tell you for sure and for certain is that nutritionists and doctors have NO clue what foods lower blood sugars! It is simply about healthier choices! I have found that if I eat healthier, regardless of carb content, my numbers are great! Since I have changed my calories to healthy balanced calories I am waking up with very low FBL and am having to reduce my insulin. I do not eat low carb but I try to stay away from those empty calories. Example... I can eat an apple and a string cheese and wake up with a FBL in the 50s. Or I can eat a cup of white rice and wake up in the 200s. A balanced last meal, maybe an egg and cheese on an english muffin, I wake up in the 70s. Play around with foods and see what works for YOUR body!
  • LReneeWalker
    Options
    By the way, I work nights so my last meal is RIGHT before I go to bed and usually more of a breakfast food.
  • ctprofessional
    ctprofessional Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Im new to Diabetes but old to MFP. My goal is to get my sugars as low a possible so I can start a family. It is still hit and miss for me but I have lost a good amount of weight. I am also trying to bring down my cholesterol, so Im having a hard time cutting out cheese, beef, and eggs...
  • princessdracos
    princessdracos Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I grew up in a diabetic family; I was the final member to be diagnosed several years ago. I've had good streaks and bad streaks, and now take Lantus injections every night in addition to oral meds twice a day. You have to work with your healthcare providers and pay attention to your body. My doctor would probably pass out if he knew how much fresh pineapple I eat, but it works for my body! I've even had to reduce my insulin! My point is, even though something SEEMS counter-intuitive, it may just be okay for you. It's a learning process. It can be overwhelming. But, it is IMPORTANT. (That was directed more to myself. Even though I've seen firsthand the results of not taking care of a diabetic body, I have major moments of weakness. Hello, chocolate doughnut! lol) Just over a month ago, my fasting blood sugar was hanging out in the low 200 range. In just 2 weeks, I had to reduce my meds because I was barely in the 70s when I woke up. Sorry, I'm rambling.
    I hope I don't sound like I'm hijacking your thread by bragging...I just wanted to show what can be accomplished. And brag. Just a little. Feel free to message me or add me if you'd like! And good luck!
  • shellybean826
    Options
    I have been a diabetic for years! My baby just turned 13 so that would be 13 years to be exact. One thing I can tell you for sure and for certain is that nutritionists and doctors have NO clue what foods lower blood sugars! It is simply about healthier choices! I have found that if I eat healthier, regardless of carb content, my numbers are great! Since I have changed my calories to healthy balanced calories I am waking up with very low FBL and am having to reduce my insulin. I do not eat low carb but I try to stay away from those empty calories. Example... I can eat an apple and a string cheese and wake up with a FBL in the 50s. Or I can eat a cup of white rice and wake up in the 200s. A balanced last meal, maybe an egg and cheese on an english muffin, I wake up in the 70s. Play around with foods and see what works for YOUR body!

thats because the apple has fiber ..which slows the absorption of the glucose into your blood while the rice doesnt ....while its true that some foods react differently for different people. your carbs is what you want to watch closely and you can never eat something with carbs without eating a protein also or something with fiber to slow down that reaction. 2 y rs ago i was on oral meds and insulin for my diabetes and would ALWAYS test in the 500's ....today i have fastings of 68-85 and on no meds at all ...its simple rules and logging everything i eat and how it makes my sugar act. good luck
  • ahubbard134
    ahubbard134 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    FIber fiber fiber. The general carbs max is either 40 or 60 grams per meal...but you can subtract off any grams of fiber. We get high fiber versions of bread, cereal, etc. It works really well for my father in law, he has also reduced his insulin dose.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Diabetics should eat low GI foods less that 55. You can either ask your doctor for a diabetic list or you can even look online for low GI food lists. Per meal a diabetic should eat 45 grams of carbohydrates and 15 grams of carbohydrates per meal.

For people without insurance, test strips can be expensive. Walmart has their own glucose meter called Reli On, it's $9.00 or less now. They had more than one meter now. The test strips are pretty reasonable too. 20 ct for $9.00 , 50ct for $19.98 and 100ct for $36.00.

I advise diabetics to buy ketone sticks, to have on hand, just in case their glucose meter display a high reading, for example 250 or higher. Some machines will let you know when you have ketones in your blood, but a high number can mean you have ketones in your urine. Your body can go into ketoacidosis.

If you like to follow recipes and cook from cookbooks, you can check your local library to see what kind of diabetic cooks they carry or you can check stores for them. You can find diabetic cook books at Walmart.

You may have diabetes, but diabetes doesn't have to have you. I would also advise diabetics to check their blood sugar 3 times a day to start with. It's really good to check your blood sugar, before each meal and 2 hours after each meal. Before you exercise and an hour after you've exercise. Why before exercising? Because exercise can lower or raise your blood sugar.

If your blood sugar is:

1. Under 100, don't exercise. Eat a carbohydrate snack to raise your blood sugar to a safe exercise number.

2. 100 to up 250. You are safe to exercise.

3. 250 or higher. Don't exercise. Danger zone. Check your urine for ketones. Wait until your blood sugar drops to exercise.

I also want to say, don't be afraid to eat sugar free stuff. They aren't nasty. They may be high at some stores, but try the Dollar Tree if you have one in your city.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Are you working with an Endocrinologist?? I am a type 2 diabetic (diagnosed in 2009) I work hand in hand with my Endo Dr. and my Nutritionist.... I eat 25-30 grams of carbs at my 3 snacks and 70-80 grams of carbs at my main meals.... This is the range we found works well to maintain my blood sugar levels and keep my A1c around 5.4 (was 10.0+ when first diagnosed) Exercise is very good to help control BS levels and control diabetes... It is one of the tools I use in my arsenal... I eat complex carbs (Nuts, Veggies, Lentils, grains, etc) this are long processing carbs that don't spike your BS levels... Every diabetic will be somewhat different in how they respond to exercise, diet, etc... Just find what works best for you............. Good Luck!!!
  • LReneeWalker
    Options
    I suggest when you are changing the way you eat or exercise that you check it before and after each meal as well as before and after you exercise. It will change quickly if eating healthy and exercise is new to your body!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed Type 2 in March of 2003. My endocrinologist put me on the Atkins Nutritional Approach and I was off all meds within 3 months and controlling my sugars with low carb eating and exercise. I also lost a considerable amount of weight.

I kept that weight off until 2008 when in a horribly bad car accident which left me heavier, depressed and stressed out.

I initially went back on Atkins but transitioned over to a more Paleo approach and as of November 2011, my A1C and blood sugars indiciate that I am no longer Diabetic, but rather at the end of being merely insulin resistant.

I had cake and ice cream last night and my blood sugar did not spike in the least, so my insulin sensitivity is being restored and my body is functioning more normally again.

Having a eating plan for life that is moderate protein, moderate fat and full of vegetables and easy on the fruit will have you living pretty normal and medication free. You have to also exercise and remove any stressors from your life as it can and does affect blood sugar levels also.

1. Protein, fats and lots of vegetables, get rid of the processed foods in your life.

2. Get plenty of rest, you need good sleep to heal your body

3. Exercise, this is non-negotiable.

4. Remove stress

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't live medication free and not heal your body. That is simply NOT true.