What HRM do you use?

Options
I'm looking for a reliable heart rate monitor, but I'd really prefer not to spend a lot of money. What do you suggest?

Replies

• ginamcoyle
    Options
    Me too, literally just posted a thread right before I saw this. I had no idea they were so expensive!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    They are expensive, but if you shop around you can find them at a decent price. Search the boards here for HRM - there are tons of topics about them full of lots of information and recommendations.

I have a New Balance N4 - retails for $70 at Target, less on Amazon - but I found mine brand new on eBay for $26.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You can't go wrong with the Polar FT series - just get one with a chest strap.
  • Newfiegirl1971
    Newfiegirl1971 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mittensofdoom
    mittensofdoom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am also interested in a HRM with a calorie counter but there are over 1000 on Amazon! I do Beach Body Insanity and P90X so I don't even get the benefit of a crappy treadmill counter.

I was thinking of getting this model: http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Sports-PHRM38GR-Monitor-Calories/dp/B006QP069S/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1332701547&sr=8-22 Pretty cheap and if it doesn't work well Amazon will always refund it and I will move up to a more expensive monitor.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 that comes with the strap. Bought it on amazon.com but dont remember the price. My dietician also recommended the Polar FT series.
  • ginamcoyle
    Options
    I've read a bunch on the Polar FT series, I've been trying to get one cheap on amazon/eBay. I'm going to look into the New Balance one too.
  • new2locs
    new2locs Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I just ordered one today on groupon.com normally priced at $100 I got it for $39. We'll see how it does.
  • Heidi_M78
    Heidi_M78 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I just got the Garmin FR60 <it comes with a foot pod (like a pedometre)
  • fitmom_pam1976
    fitmom_pam1976 Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Polar :)
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Polar FT4 here. Got mine on amazon for around $65 for Christmas. Whatever you get make certain it has a chest strap!
  • manda1002
    manda1002 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    i just bought the FT7 last night and so far i love it. i'm wearing it all day today to get a read on what a typical day is for me.
  • nmzeta
    nmzeta Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Timex Personal Trainer - $35 from MrWatch.com
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Got a Polar FT40 on amazon (has all sorts of functions and i LOVE it). just slightly over $100.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT7. I got a good deal on Amazon.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I am also interested in a HRM with a calorie counter but there are over 1000 on Amazon! I do Beach Body Insanity and P90X so I don't even get the benefit of a crappy treadmill counter.

I was thinking of getting this model: http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Sports-PHRM38GR-Monitor-Calories/dp/B006QP069S/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1332701547&sr=8-22 Pretty cheap and if it doesn't work well Amazon will always refund it and I will move up to a more expensive monitor.

You better check the return policy, because most HRMs are not returnable....due to the fact that you wore it while sweating and they can't resell it. I bought my Polar FT4 on Amazon, and I can't return it (not that I want to).

My friend bought that Pyle and hers quit working after 2 days. She bought a Polar FT4 like I have and it's working great. Don't waste money on a cheap HRM....it's better to buy a good one once.
  • janeinspain
    janeinspain Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Polar FT7 since December and it's great! I fully recommend it. I got it from amazon, but I don't remember the price.
  • tllstaco
    tllstaco Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I just got a Polar FT7 from Amazon for $78 and free shipping last week.
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft7 and it's excellent. I would highly reccomend it, but it's a bit pricey. They do have cheaper models however. When you buy it, make sure you get one with a chest strap...it's far more accurate
  • rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have tried a couple different ones.
    I wasn't satisfied untill i got the polar FT4. DEFINATLY worth the money i promise