Salt!!! Did you know????

Options

Replies

• pobski
    pobski Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    "No-Salt" is potassium! I can't tell a difference between it and regular table salt. Not many people get enough potassium in their diet either
  • tracferg
    tracferg Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    So am I understanding right that lots of water will flush it from your system if you have a high sodium day? Doesn't it still affect heart health or will the water flush your arteries more? I don't add it to anything and I am trying to avoid processed foods but this is good to know if I have a bad day!
  • Corrie_Lynn
    Corrie_Lynn Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I just don't add salt. It took a little while to get used to not having it as a flavour, but now any foods with medium/high sodium, and anything with added salt, I just can't eat. The taste is too strong. McDonalds fries nearly make me sick when the salt's added in advance, for instance. I used to love them.

I'm the same way! Any chips or fries and even a lot of restaurant food in general is terrible to me because of the salt.
    Also, I think someone else mentioned... when cooking, I always use sea salt, never table salt.
  • jmgehner
    jmgehner Posts: 1
    Options
    Just a note on salt substitutes. If you take blood pressure medicine be sure to check with your doctor before using a salt substitute some blood pressure medicines can make you retain potassium which is a pretty major ingredient in most actual salt substitutes. High potassuim levels can cause serious health issues.
  • AmandaK3
    AmandaK3 Posts: 80
    Options
    I use very little salt, and most of the time I use sea salt but only because the flavor seems to be better.

If you stay away from processed foods you won't have a problem staying under the sodium intake.

My doctor gave me a challenge, try and find a processed freezer meal that has less sodium than calories. If you do then that would be one the one to eat. I have yet to find one. I don't even eat processed meals but on occasion when I am at the store I will take a look just to see if there is a new one that meets that challenge.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I don't use salt, not even for baking. I love fresh ground pepper. I add lemon or lime juice to my rice & chicken sometimes. I love cumin and curry powder. Rosemary tastes nice on chicen& veggies. I have a cupboard full of spices that serve me much better than salt.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I try not to add salt to my food anymore... I used to use insane amounts of salt on my food... but now that I'm trying to watch what I eat i will look at my food and think "ok this already has sodium in it, do I really want to add more? No, no I don't."
  • lauz45
    lauz45 Posts: 243
    Options
    I don't take any notice of my salt, maybe it's a UK thing, no one really makes a fuss about it? The NHS (national heath service) advise no more than 6g salt a day, which is a full teaspoon. But it's logged on here as mg, so am I right in thinking that's 6000mg? But the default on MFP is 2500mg/day, less than half the recommended UK amount.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I use very little salt. I like using herbs/spices more than salt.

High sodium diets can lead to high blood pressure. I watch it because both my parents have high blood pressure.
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I can't not eat salt... i just do't put as much on.
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I don't take any notice of my salt, maybe it's a UK thing, no one really makes a fuss about it? The NHS (national heath service) advise no more than 6g salt a day, which is a full teaspoon. But it's logged on here as mg, so am I right in thinking that's 6000mg? But the default on MFP is 2500mg/day, less than half the recommended UK amount.

^ :)
  • NicholeRobb
    NicholeRobb Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I don't salt anything. I use alot of spices. Some that seem to have a it more salt than they should though. BUt it's true if u cut ur salt intake ull find u have less taste for it. You may even find some foods that are already salted are even TOO salty. I was reading through some of the recipe labels at my work & was like WOW. Some single dishes contain almost 3000mg of salt in a single serving. Talk about a heart attack in a dish.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I am always over on my sodium. I do not add salt to anything. I drink a large amount of water, but if I am over my sodium for the day, I am bloated & puffy. I do take a water pill on top of that. So, does anyone know - can you just be 'salt sensitive'? I know that salt has no calories, but if you have it it can mask weight loss due to water retention. Is that the only reason?

I've found for me (I tend to retain water because of heart/kidney issues) that if I have more than 700 or so in one sitting I retain water for the day...if you have a lot of salt (and or sugar) at one time it forces water cells to absorb through your vein walls and into your fat cells. I saw that explanation on a Dr Oz segment on Oprah a long time ago, but it makes sense to me as I have lived it time and time again. I go over sometimes and regret it later but it eventually works its way out of my body over a few days.

On the other, I use sea salt as well. I do not use it when cooking and only add some to taste when I'm eating as needed to cut down. I've measured the cranks with my smallest measuring spoon. It may not be 100% accurate but I know how to log two or four healthy cranks of my McCormick's grinder lol. If I don't track it I might forget about it and go over my sodium by 200-400 for the day without realizing it. I keep one at my work desk where I tend to eat breakfast and lunch, one by the stove just in case and one at my dining area. I found them really cheap at the Dollar General lol.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options

The recommendation is 2500mg of SODIUM per day. 6g (or 6000mg) of SALT has about 2400mg of SODIUM. That's why you're confused :)
  • tania2287
    tania2287 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I have never added salt to my food when cooking it or when it is cooked.

The only salt in my food is what is already there.
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    my biggest downfall? SALT! i have always been and probably always will be....a salt-a-holic.
    i cannot and will not give up salt. i have tried to cut down, and i may have a bit, but i just cannot give up my salt.
    iam losing weight, and as long as i drink my water, i think im ok. i have no puffiness from retention.
    give up salt? not me!
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I try to use Sea Salt but I also drink Distilled water to help flush impurities like sodium out! But beware because Distilled also flushes out minerals which your body needs so I don't always drink that unless i'm training for a fitness competition.
  • missprincessjenny
    missprincessjenny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have high blood pressure. So I stopped using salt. Period. I even watch what I add it to when cooking. For instance I made pudding for my kids today from scratch. I did not add salt. Now I notice salt and can't stand the taste of it.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Seldom add plain salt and then only a little but I always do add other herbs, spices, seasonings. I like the Pampered Chef line of spices, yummy and good quality.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Did you know that 1/5 tsp. of salt has 590mg. in it? I didn't, I've been thinking that logging my food's sodium was enough. But what about the sprinkles here and there on my brown rice or brocoli? My Gosh, I had no idea? What are you guys using as a salt substitute?

I do not use any substitute, I just do not sprinkle salt on food, it usually has enough in it anyway.

However, bear in mind, it is vitally important to ensure you have at least 500mg of sodium per day, so never try to get that daily figure to nought, it will be dangerous x