Anyone Using a Kitchen Scale?

Options
I've been trying to eye all the portions I eat, but it's just not cutting it...I haven't lost very much and it's starting to frustrate me. I think it's the portions of the foods that I eat. I *think* they're the right size, but I'm pretty sure they're not...

So my question is...Anyone have a lot of luck using a kitchen scale? I'm looking to lose more weight and I think working with the portions is my best bet as far as the foods I eat go.

Sigh, I dunno. I'd like to just get rid of this disgusting belly.

Replies

• SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. It was one of the first items I bought when I started this journey. Meats and proteins can be hard to guesstimate. It was $15 well spent.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    i bought a digtal scale at walmart for $20 .. very well worth it
    it weighs oz, grams and pounds

you can put your plate/bowl then zero it out, weigh a food, zero it out , put another item ( get the point)
    so you can weigh all your foods on 1 plate

ALSO i bought a set of spoons from Avon it has 1 for veggies, 1 for pasta, and a spatula for meat .. it helps you to know portions
    weight watchers also sell something similar , they have spoons that come in 1/2 cup and 1 cup ( i have both sets ww, and avon)

i couldn';t just eye ball it .. lol

good luck
  • bluberrygoo
    bluberrygoo Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I use a scale to measure almost everything.
  • NicholeRobb
    NicholeRobb Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    i bought a digtal scale at walmart for $20 .. very well worth it
    it weighs oz, grams and pounds

you can put your plate/bowl then zero it out, weigh a food, zero it out , put another item ( get the point)
    so you can weigh all your foods on 1 plate

ALSO i bought a set of spoons from Avon it has 1 for veggies, 1 for pasta, and a spatula for meat .. it helps you to know portions
    weight watchers also sell something similar , they have spoons that come in 1/2 cup and 1 cup ( i have both sets ww, and avon)

i couldn';t just eye ball it .. lol

good luck

Same here. It is def worth the purchase
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's an essential weapon in the war. Food scale and an HRM, are all you need :)
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    All the time. I love it. It clearly taught me my estimation skills are crap.
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I weight everything! I find it helped tremendously in my weigh loss journey!
  • Zalissa
    Zalissa Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It's well worth getting a kitchen scale. I swear by mine!
  • laineyluma
    laineyluma Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I use mine more than three times a day. I was so surprised at how bad my guesstimations were.. :ohwell:
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Without my food scale, my measuring cups/spoons, and my HRM I don't know where I'd be right now. I measure everything, and it's paying off. I wouldn't know what to do if I couldn't measure everything, because I know I can't eyeball any of it.
  • guildwars1987
    guildwars1987 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    $20 digital scale from wal-mart and I've used it multiple times in the past few days that I've had it. It comes with a lithium ion battery too.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I use mine for every meal I eat/pack/prepare! Love it - it's the handiest kitchen gadget I have. :-)
  • oEmmao
    oEmmao Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    kitchen scales, measuring cups and measuring spoons are vital! :drinker:

they are so worth it :bigsmile:
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I have a digital that easily goes back and forth between oz/g since a lot of things only have the weight in grams. Eyeballing or even the numbers on the package are very misleading. I keep a stack of compostable paper cups by the balance and it makes it nice and easy to measure everything with little mess.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Weigh and measure everything. Buy a digital scale and a set of Cups (2cup, 1cup, half cup, quarter cup) and measuring spoons.

You can't ever ever go by eyeball. It's scary how wrong you can be.
  • Annmarie49
    Options
    It is 'ESSENTIAL'......... you will be absolutely 'shocked' when you start to measure quantity!!!! get a digital one, more accurate and you will see the pounds falling off you.

p.s. I live in the UK and all recipes are produced in grams/kilos/pounds/ounces. since using this site, a lot of the recipes are cups/sticks etc from the USA. I was trying to work out how you measure a 'cup of sliced carrots'.... the variation was huge, that's fine with a low calorie food but if it was peanut butter/cream/high calorie food, the result would be detrimental to our healthy lifestyle/eating!!! I wonder if this has some rationale as to why some people are struggling with weight loss despite measuring everything (my opinion only)
  • twiztid_princess
    Options
    I need to a scale.. because eyeballing it isn't cutting it either.. so i hope i get a job soon so i can buy one.
  • TotalTiger
    Options
    It is by far the most important tool I have to help me lose weight. I was staggered at how large my portion sizes were and 6 weeks into this, I am surprised at how full I am getting with reduced portion sizes. Invest in a digital scale - you won't regret it.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to eye all the portions I eat, but it's just not cutting it...I haven't lost very much and it's starting to frustrate me. I think it's the portions of the foods that I eat. I *think* they're the right size, but I'm pretty sure they're not...

So my question is...Anyone have a lot of luck using a kitchen scale? I'm looking to lose more weight and I think working with the portions is my best bet as far as the foods I eat go.

Sigh, I dunno. I'd like to just get rid of this disgusting belly.

A kitchen scale will sort out the real portions from the guesstimates. Do yourself a massive favour and get yourself a set of scales and then you will see what I mean.

Butter, for instance, just one smidgeon out when guessing can be the difference between many calories and if you add those up over the week, you could be hundreds out and that alone can ruin your weightloss attempts.

Absolutely invaluable are scales :)
  • Bergiere
    Bergiere Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I use my scale all the time. I found if I eyeball things I end up cheating myself. :smile: