Are we counting cups of tea under water intake?

I'm just curious to know if many of you are counting cups of tea under water. Now that I've been able to drink down hot green tea and fennel seed tea without any additives, I think it's acceptable under water..... I know it's not that serious! So it doesn't hust to ask for your thoughts.

Please also share any other beverages that you may log under water.

Replies

• Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 350 Member
    Yes! I think that since tea is basically flavored water, it is water. Hence, I count coffee and SoBe etc. as well. One could also count soda, but since that has so many other things, I usually don't.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    I usually figure if it has caffeine in it, I don't count it. So coffee or black tea, no, but herbal teas or things like sugar free lemonade, yes.
  • No no no! Tea is a dehydrator. Yeah it is "flavored water" but it will also dyhydrate you. If anything you would need to drink more water if you are drink tea. I do not count cups of tea in my water count, and most of the time I make sure my water is room temperature so that is it easier to drink. When you have a meal, I find it easier to tell myself I have to drink at least two cups of water with it. It keeps you full and you'll reach 8 cups much easier.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Tea is water as are other drinks, correct. www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    No no no! Tea is a dehydrator. Yeah it is "flavored water" but it will also dyhydrate you. If anything you would need to drink more water if you are drink tea. I do not count cups of tea in my water count, and most of the time I make sure my water is room temperature so that is it easier to drink. When you have a meal, I find it easier to tell myself I have to drink at least two cups of water with it. It keeps you full and you'll reach 8 cups much easier.
    \

Coffee and tea actually dehydrate you. So, you actually are supposed to drink more water if you drink coffee or tea. At least that's my understanding.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    If it's not caffeinated, I count it. If it has caffeine, I don't.

Also, if it's got sugar already added (Sobe, Vitamin Water), I tend not to count it. But I do count herbal tea if I've added a packet of "raw" sugar.

Not sure it makes much sense when you look at it, but it's just what I do. I'm trying to watch my intake of processed sugars, so it makes sense for me.
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Yeah, I count my tea. As I drink it plain. :):)
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    The old wives' tale of caffeine is a dehydrater has been debunked. Technically, yes, caffeine does dehydrate, but only in a large quantity. The amount you need to drink is a huge amount, plus you are still ingesting water with it. If you normally are a tea drinker than by all means you can use it as part of your fluid intake.
  • jenpolak
    jenpolak Posts: 6 Member
    No no no! Tea is a dehydrator. Yeah it is "flavored water" but it will also dyhydrate you. If anything you would need to drink more water if you are drink tea. I do not count cups of tea in my water count, and most of the time I make sure my water is room temperature so that is it easier to drink. When you have a meal, I find it easier to tell myself I have to drink at least two cups of water with it. It keeps you full and you'll reach 8 cups much easier.

agree totally.........I never count any beverage other than water as water. Anything with caffeine negates your water intake...so if you want to get 64oz of water/day and you drink two coffees or teas or soda with caffeine you need to replace that 16oz of caffeinated beverage with extra water. Be kind to your kidneys!
  • Megabot
    Megabot Posts: 173 Member
    \

Coffee and tea actually dehydrate you. So, you actually are supposed to drink more water if you drink coffee or tea. At least that's my understanding.

Yes, caffeine is a diuretic. However: tea, especially green tea, actually has VERY LITTLE caffeine. Go look up milligrams of caffeine per drink, and you'll see what I mean. I'd definitely count tea.

Coffee I usually don't count in my "water" count, because I'm just trying to make sure I drink more water overall. So I think that one's up to you.
  • When coffee and tea dehydrate you, it's actually their effect as diuretics. They make you pee more. The same is true for alcohol.

Your fluid intake is based on all fluids of the day. The idea of 8 x 8 actually includes water that is found in the foods you eat as well. Studies have been done that show as long as you are getting your fluid it doesn't matter if it is coming from pure water or other sources.

Extra fluid in general make you feel better and prevents dehydration. Water is the most effective source of this. However, if you are just trying to reach your 8 x 8 tea does fit into that.

(That is really over simplified, but that's the gist of it)
  • TynkEMT
    TynkEMT Posts: 19 Member
    I will count unsweet tea in my water but any other drink besides that gets added to my caloric intake for the day. This way I make sure to get at least 8 cups of water.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    I don't log anything that contains caffeine because caffeine is a diuretic. So....are you necessarily hydrating yourself if you are drinking something that will make you urinate? I don't think so. So....I only log things without caffeine, and....I admit I do log things like really brothy soup. I under record it....(2 cups of soup, I might take 1 cup of intake) but I am recording it.
  • lauz45
    lauz45 Posts: 243
    Literally all I ever drink is hot tea with milk, and i'm still alive and well! So I log it. In the summer i'll drink more water and sugar free flavoured water because work makes me thirsty, but i'll still be drinking tea all day. It's a British institution! :D

I don't like cold drinks much.
  • sewist
    sewist Posts: 40
    I count water as water. I don't understand counting anything other than water as water.

Lots of things have water in them. But they aren't water.

Doesn't mean I'm more right than you though. Everybody develops their own system. It's much easier for me if the water I count is actually water.
  • Picturesque2u
    Picturesque2u Posts: 28 Member
    I appreciate all of the feedback. To each his own is what I've understood. I think the most interesting idea was logging broth... SMH. :)

My decision is to log my herbal tea. Not coffee. I drink water with a slice of lemon all the time so I'd like to drink more tea to avoid the boredom that I'm beginning to feel. Anything else gets logged as calories.

Thanks
  • rmchapman4
    rmchapman4 Posts: 152 Member
    I have only counted water under water. As much as I LOVE sweet ice tea and continue to brew my own; I include it under meals. It will be a challenge limiting my intake. I am such a southern girl!!
  • yup my hot tea no sweetner...
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    i log almost all liquids i drink under water, i just make sure to also put them with my food if they contain calories.
  • Angelhurt
    Angelhurt Posts: 24
    i find tea really dehydrates me...i love to drink it..but a couple of minutes after ive finished a cup i have to dink some water...honestly!! i don't count it as water....i never thought of it like that...just count it as a bonus i suppose...i only drink decaf with just a splash of milk..has like a few cals in it or something?