Can you have too much sugar from fruit?

Options

Replies

• Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Can anyone list the fruits from low to high sugar? Everyone's saying grapes are high..
  • phatty4dayz
    phatty4dayz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Good question. I too, am a vegetarian, and I was considering cutting out some of my favorite fruits for the same reason (crazy, I know!). But after reading the above comments, I think I'll continue chomping away at my apples, berries, and bananas because I'm not diabetic or pre-diabetic. *shrugs* :drinker: Here's to fruit!!!!
  • BreakOnThru
    BreakOnThru Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice above. But I'll just say not all fruits are created equal (i.e. berries and melons are better than bananas or grapes). Check the glycemic index. Also, you can get a lot of the same nutritional benefits from veggies, which come with far less sugar. So if you've got a pepper and an apple, you can get good carbs and tons of nutrients from each, but you're better off with the pepper. That said, if it's fruit vs. a bag of Skittles? Hells yeah, fruit wins.
  • student94
    student94 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I was going over on sugar daily, and near all of it was fruit. I didn't feel like I became overweight from eating to many apples, so I decided not to track sugar anymore. I lose faster than the mfp projections, so I don't think the sugar is holding me back. That said, everyone's different and you need to experiment and see what works for you.
  • megmo_7
    megmo_7 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I think the only time it would matter is if you are diabetic or borderline diabetic. I have PCOS and have stopped eating fruits past my afternoon snack. Once I stopped eating fruits after dinner or at night it drastically helped me. For example when I wake up at 7am I eat all my fruits by 2pm. For me its more of a how my body processes the fruit.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Fruit is fine, but SOME people (no, not all) MIGHT be sensitive to that much fruit sugar, and have an issue. IF you don't, then there is no reason to not eat as much fruit as your eating plan can allow.

You might think about adding some Protein to your fruit... I personally like to have some raw nuts with my fruit, to slow down the fruit sugar hitting my system. It also seems to derail the munchies very well. You can also throw the fruit with a bunch of dark greens into a blender and make smoothies with them, which I also love.

As long as your nutritionist and/or doctor says that you DON'T have a blood sugar issue, then ENJOY!! :)
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Can anyone list the fruits from low to high sugar? Everyone's saying grapes are high..
    Fruits Lowest in Sugar

Small Amounts of Lemon or Lime

Rhubarb

Raspberries (more about berries on low carb diets)

Blackberries

Cranberries

Fruits Low to Medium in Sugar

Strawberries

Casaba Melon

Papaya

Watermelon

Peaches

Nectarines

Blueberries

Cantaloupes

Honeydew melons

Apples

Guavas -- Pineapple Guavas (Feijoa) and Strawberry Guavas are probably similar, but information that directly compares them is not available

Apricots

Grapefruit

Fruits Fairly High in Sugar

Plums

Oranges

Kiwifruit

Pears

Pineapple

Fruits Very High in Sugar

Tangerines

Cherries

Grapes

Pomegranates

Mangos

Figs

Bananas

Dried Fruit, such as dates, raisins, dried apricots, and prunes

from http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/whatfruit.htm
  • mammothdoll
    Options
    I'd say look at the glycemic loads of your meals and also get your blood sugar numbers run before panicking.
  • tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Eat the fruit. I was just reading an article last week in either Prevention or Fitness magazine that was talking about the difference in sugar. Its not processed sugar so your body will digest and metabolize it differently. If you can pick that over chocolate then I'd say you're doing alright!!!
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Well, I look at it in this way: I did not get fat by eating fruit but by eating tons of other craps, like cake, cookies, etc. :wink:
  • mittensofdoom
    mittensofdoom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I hate to burst the happy fruit bubble but natural sugar is not "processed differently" than synthetic sugars nor is it any "better" for you. Your intestines only absorb monosaccharides so every carbohydrate you eat is broken down into several basic molecules (monosaccharides). The major "difference" between sugars in fruits and say, high fructose corn syrup is that your body doesn't have to break corn syrup down, it's already predominately in the form of fructose, a monosaccharide.

"Polysaccharides and disaccharides must be digested to monosaccharides prior to absorption and the key players in these processes are the brush border hydrolases, which include maltase, lactase and sucrase. Dietary lactose and sucrose are "ready" for digestion by their respective brush border enzymes. Starch, as discussed previously, is first digested to maltose by amylase in pancreatic secretions and, in some species, saliva.

Dietary lactose and sucrose, and maltose derived from digestion of starch, diffuse in the small intestinal lumen and come in contact with the surface of absorptive epithelial cells covering the villi where they engage with brush border hydrolases:

maltase cleaves maltose into two molecules of glucose
    lactase cleaves lactose into a glucose and a galactose
    sucrase cleaves sucrose into a glucose and a fructose
    At long last, we're ready to actually absorb these monosaccharides. Glucose and galactose are taken into the enterocyte by cotransport with sodium using the same transporter. Fructose enters the cell from the intestinal lumen via facilitated diffusion through another transporter."

http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/digestion/smallgut/absorb_sugars.html

As the quote above alludes to, the three monosaccharides used by your body are glucose, galactose and fructose. These molecules are either broken down immediately for energy or stored as glycogen in the liver or fat in the rest of your body. It doesn't matter if they came from a Snickers bar or from an apple, it all gets processed the same way. This is a biochemical fact of life. So to sum up, as far as your body's physiology is concerned it doesn't matter where the sugar comes from. That said, it is better to eat fruit than chocolate cake, not because candy is "processed" but because fruit contains fiber and nutrients, which are generally lacking in products high in refined sugars. Thus, if you must eat 50 grams of sugar a day it is better to eat it from fruit because you get the rest of the nutritional benefits of fruit. But, if you're really dedicated to cutting the weight you'll probably need to cut down on the fruit.

As mentioned earlier, try sticking to high fiber low sugar fruits. Anything in the berry family is usually a good choice. Sweeter fruits like bananas and mangoes pack a much higher sugar punch.

How sugars influence the creation of fat gets a little more complicated but if you really want to know I can send you some information. Suffice to say, excess sugar in the body (ie, you just ate 2 cups of grapes while sitting and watching a movie) drives fat production.

In the event you're realllly interested, more on glycosis (sugar break down for energy): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycolysis
    Glycogensis (storing glucose as glycogen): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycogenesis
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    A nutritionist told me that i can eat alllllllllll the fruits and veggies i want! The sugars from fruits are complex sugars, which takes longer for the body to break down so it's actually good for you and keeps you full longer annnnnnndddddd it's jam packed with nutrients! so in the words of my nutritionist "eat to your hearts content!" I eat fruits and veggies alot and i not experience not one negative thing.
    Nutritionists actually don't have to have any kind of training to call themselves nutritionists, and this is a pretty good example of that. Fruit does not have complex sugars in them, they consist of mostly monosacharides, like glucose, fructose, and galactose, which are the simplest sugars there are. They also contain a lot of disacharides, like sucrose and maltose, which are almost as simple. Sucrose is actually the same chemical as the "dreaded" refined sugar, and it usually makes up the overall majority of sugar in fruits.
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    A nutritionist told me that i can eat alllllllllll the fruits and veggies i want! The sugars from fruits are complex sugars, which takes longer for the body to break down so it's actually good for you and keeps you full longer annnnnnndddddd it's jam packed with nutrients! so in the words of my nutritionist "eat to your hearts content!" I eat fruits and veggies alot and i not experience not one negative thing.
    Nutritionists actually don't have to have any kind of training to call themselves nutritionists, and this is a pretty good example of that. Fruit does not have complex sugars in them, they consist of mostly monosacharides, like glucose, fructose, and galactose, which are the simplest sugars there are. They also contain a lot of disacharides, like sucrose and maltose, which are almost as simple. Sucrose is actually the same chemical as the "dreaded" refined sugar, and it usually makes up the overall majority of sugar in fruits.

That depends on where in the world you are. In some places, it is actually heavily regulated.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

That depends on where in the world you are. In some places, it is actually heavily regulated.
    Dieticians are usually strictly regulated, nutritionists usually aren't. The issue tends to be that most people don't know the difference, and just assume that nutritionist and dietician mean the same thing. Canada is the only country I can think of that has regulations specifically for "nutritionists."
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    Options

Dieticians are usually strictly regulated, nutritionists usually aren't. The issue tends to be that most people don't know the difference, and just assume that nutritionist and dietician mean the same thing. Canada is the only country I can think of that has regulations specifically for "nutritionists."

Australia also, or at least NSW.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks so much you guys for all the info/opinions! :happy:

I don't have diabetes and it doesn't run in my family. I do very well on high fruit, I always feel/look leaner and WAY more energy, and for sure, it is better than eating candy and chocolate.

Fruit is such a natural food and is an antioxidant, nutrient & fiber powerhouse so I don't feel it is necessary to cut back on ANY kind of fruit, it certainly WASN'T the fruit that packed on extra weight, it was the takeaway and junk food binges :wink:

And I'd certainly rather eat real sugar than eat food with artificial sweeteners...don't even get me started on those! Why people put them into their body I'll never understand, I wouldn't touch a diet soda now if you paid me!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar, the source doesn't matter. That said, are you diabetic? Then sugar will be a bad thing. If you arent, then, quite frankly, the amount of sugar you eat makes no difference. The human body doesn't see "apple" or "chocolate cake." it just sees "sucrose," "glucose," and "fructose." As long as you stick to your calorie goal, then you can eat as much, or as little sugar as you want. It's irrelevant.

This! With the amendment of you probably don't want to eat a crapton of fruit in one sitting because your body will want to store it. If you hit a plateau, try seeing if cutting sugar down helps, till then enjoy your fruit!
  • Nix_
    Nix_ Posts: 94
    Options
    I just added the sugar column to my food diary, and oh boy was I over this week, but I still lost 4lbs! My sugar comes from fruit and natural yoghurt!

Maybe should try snacking more on veg, just to lower it a little :)
  • ianwartist
    Options
    Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. First, fruit is higher in fiber than any processed foods that contain sugar. Fiber helps to slow down the absorbtion rate of the sugars, which is why you don't get a "high" followed by a "crash" like you do with a candy bar. I added the sugar category and was shocked as well, until I did my research.

The other thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is if you are in anyway an active person engaging in an exercise routine, fruit is an excellent source of carbs. I have a banana before I workout, followed by raisins with my oatmeal for a post-workout meal. Those two fruits alone would skyrocket me past my sugar limit, but both those are high in carbs (which i need for my workouts) and both are a combined 5 grams of fiber, which isn't bad. So, there isn't any general way to answer your question, I think, because you have so many variables (your sugar tolerance/diabetic situation, if any; exercise regime, if any; other available food options to satiate your sweet tooth, like chocolate). I believe the best diet is the one you can maintain, and if eating healthy fruits with fiber and carbs for your workout prevents you from nose-diving into German Chocolate Cake, then do it.

Finally, here is a link to the excellent "60 minutes" segment that ran sometime ago on CBS. Caused quite a stir with the tagline, "Is Sugar Toxic?":

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7403942n

Good luck!

Ian
  • ianwartist
    Options
    Also, same "60 minutes" segment, but one of the pullout segments from the entire show, this one focused specifically Fruit Vs. Sugar in other foods:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7403954n&tag=segementExtraScroller;housing.

Ian