I'm scared but I'm going to do it, anyone else??

Options
I have been doing alot of reading and trying to learn about this process. Last week I decided that eating the 1200 calories that was given to me to lose 1-2 a week was too little. So I upped my calorie intake to 1460 and lost 2 pounds. I was still reading that maybe thats not enough calories. It isn't even my BMR which is 1603.

So I have read the post on here called "In place of a road Map" and looked up some of the sites. And what I am understanding is that I should be eating about 1704 calories. Scary!! But it makes sense, sort of. LOL Well it does but goes against everything I thought I knew and have believed.

I'm not so sure I can eat 1700 calories a day, IN A HEALTHY WAY. But I'm going to get as close as possible each day. I would love to have friends that have tried this, or now trying it. So we can compare progress. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want to share the journey.

The trick for me will be not panicking if a gain some the first week or 2. I have to stick with it for a bit to give it a fair chance.

Wish me luck!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    To avoid the gaining, you could stay with your 1460 for another week, then go to 1560 for two weeks, then 1660.. It is usually the abrupt change that causes the larger weight swing. That 's why this site is set up to recalculate every 10 pounds, so you are gradually working up to your maintenance calories, and at the end you are within 200 of your calorie goal for that weight.
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    To avoid the gaining, you could stay with your 1460 for another week, then go to 1560 for two weeks, then 1660.. It is usually the abrupt change that causes the larger weight swing. That 's why this site is set up to recalculate every 10 pounds, so you are gradually working up to your maintenance calories, and at the end you are within 200 of your calorie goal for that weight.

This is probably more like what will happen, thanks. I haven't even gotten used to the 1460 so to eat that much more and do it healthy will take me time. I have changed my diary to reflect the 1700 and will gradually work up to that. If I get close I wont fret. If I can, well then I might fret. LOL But I'm going to do my best not to. I'm actually excited about this. I want to find something I can do for life.
  • candicejn
    candicejn Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the same thing. Went from 1290 to 1420 for the next week, then I'll increase to 1520 for a week, etc. Not sure where I'll stop though. My BMR seems to be somewhere between 1700 - 1800 so I will see how it goes. I am nervous to jump that high, too; but I want to do this right! :)
  • Hilary75
    Hilary75 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've been slowly upping my calories from 1200 a few weeks ago to 1600 now. The calculation on fat 2 fit has my daily calories at just over 2000, which seems crazy high. I like your approach, a little at a time, I'm not sure how I feel about eating 2000 calories a day. Like you said, it goes against everything I thought I knew about weight loss but if eating more in a healthy way is the key to long lasting weight loss, then I'll give it a try.

Good luck!
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I'm scared too. But I've gone months and nothing. I'm tired of the scale not moving. If my body fat goes up then at least I'll know it's too much and can adjust from there. But 2018? eeeep.
  • Mustaine4Pres
    Options
    Thank you for the post. My nutritionist said to go up to 1600 (my BMR she measured) on the calories (from 1450). I have lost 1.2 lbs per week at 1450, so i'm afraid to go up. keep me updated... not sure i'm ready to go up just yet.
  • Lindz2323
    Lindz2323 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Saving to read for later =)
  • Corrie_Lynn
    Corrie_Lynn Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've been slowly trying to up my calories too, I've had a hard time even coming close to 1200 at times, so it might be a little difficult. I switched to 5 small meals a day instead of 3 large meals, that helps because I've never been able to eat a lot of food at one time. I need to find some good, healthy stuff to eat though, that's the harder part. I'm not real big on salads or raw veggies in general, that doesn't help. And yes, I'm scared, if I start going up in calories and gain a bunch of weight, I'm going to freak out a little! I hope it goes well for you!
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I've been slowly trying to up my calories too, I've had a hard time even coming close to 1200 at times, so it might be a little difficult. I switched to 5 small meals a day instead of 3 large meals, that helps because I've never been able to eat a lot of food at one time. I need to find some good, healthy stuff to eat though, that's the harder part. I'm not real big on salads or raw veggies in general, that doesn't help. And yes, I'm scared, if I start going up in calories and gain a bunch of weight, I'm going to freak out a little! I hope it goes well for you!

Thanks. Eating a large amount of food has never been an issue for me unfortunately. I am trying to eat more snacks that are healthy between my main 3 meals a day. I have gotten alot of ideas from other peoples food diaries. I will keep everyone posted.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I took my calories from 1200 to 1500 and now I'm at 1800. I have found I have more energy for my workouts if I eat the 1800 every day regardless of my workout.
  • mishmash81
    Options
    I went from 1290 to 1420 and put on weight *cry*. But I'm hoping this has a lot to do with TOTM..
  • badmediakarma
    Options
    I usually eat 1700-1800 calories per day.. some things I do to get calories in: have a glass of milk with meals, eat peanut butter (the all natural kind), use olive oil when cooking, add avocado to a salad.