PROTEIN. PROTEIN. PROTEIN.

Options
So... I don't eat enough protein... I don't eat a lot of things, but that's for another time haha.

I eat almonds, that's about it for my protein.

Q1. What are some good protein foods?
Q2. Any cheap flavoured protein powders? (I loveeee smoothies)

Replies

• issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Eggs, meat , poultry, legumes, cheese, milk, yogurt for starters.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    anything with a face
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I use canned chicken breast.. The big cans, they normally have about 50g worth of it. They have lots of sodium, so what I do is sinse them out really well. Tuna is also a good source. If you're a cereal person you could mix the protein powder with the milk or almond milk and dump it in there. Protein bars are a decent source too.
  • alexis92
    alexis92 Posts: 64
    Options
    Meat (I like ham, turkey, and chicken), eggs, and beans! Yogurt has a lot of protein, but beware the sugar content. Same goes for protein bars and powders.
  • PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Chicken is great for protein. Eggs and greek yogurt do it for me as well.
  • liscain
    liscain Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    my fav is hummus and then I eat it with celery instead of pita. less calories than peanut butter and more savory in my opinion
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    - Chicken (ground/breast)
    - Ditto for turkey
    - Eggs and egg whites
    - Greek yogurt
    - Peanut Butter & nut butters
    - Tofu
    - Tuna
    - Salmon
    - Grass fed beef
    - Quinoa
    - Tempeh
    - Almonds
    - Protein powder

Soooooooooo many great choices! :)
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    if it has a mama, EAT IT!
    shrimp, fish, cow, pig, chicken, etc
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    And don't forget cottage cheese. What everyone else said, as well as cottage cheese. Lots of great ways to eat it!
  • jennit1801
    jennit1801 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My favorite protien powder is Isoflex peanut butter chocolate, but its not super cheap. It is AMAZING in a smoothie with a banana and greek yogurt. I also snack on hardboiled eggs.
  • Brown_Eyed_Beauty
    Brown_Eyed_Beauty Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    anything with a face

LoL

I love smoothies too. I tend to do the whey protein from GNC (not full portion because I've heard that can make you gain) with some fruit, skim milk, yogurt and some type of fiber as well. flax is always good.
  • Cueball55
    Cueball55 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    canned fish is fairly easy, although most are adverse to the smell... tuna, mackerel and sardines are great sources of protein as well as good fats.

chicken/turkey breast is a great low fat protein source.

eggs and beef are great, but a bit high in fat... most people can stand this in their daily diet in moderation

protein powders are good, but depending on your goals, choose carefully as some are weight gainers, others have a whole lot of yucky artificial sweeteners.

beans and other legumes are also good sources of protien, although it's common to recommend eating that with a high protein grain of some kind. something about amino acid composition.. ie peanut butter and whole bread, or beans and tortilla (quesadilla!)
  • dandybug
    dandybug Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too. I like the Sunkist Chunk Tuna Light in the little pouches. High in protein and low in calories!
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies every one :)
  • Lindamack5987
    Options
    If you like shakes try Jillian Michaels Whey triple chocolate shakes.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Pacific sock eye salmon, dolphin safe tuna, and sardines. You can get sardines skinless boneless packed in water or olive oil; but the sardines with their skins and little spines are better for you.
    I drink Designer Whey protein shakes. Check around the internet for better prices. I shop at Trader Joes, but you could probably do bettah!!
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    anything with a face

^^
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Always a good idea to stick with whole foods.

When I'm lazy I eat Clif Builders and/or use Optimum Nutrition Whey.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    As others have said, eggs, meat, beans, lentils, greek yogurt and other dairy, nuts... etc. I will make myself protein shakes sometimes too, if I feel my protein is lacking for the day.
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Finned fish with scales - a marvelously protein-rich food. And if you do a search, you'll find some smoothie recipes using whey protein isolate powder that taste just like ice cream shakes.

YUM!