Forgive and Forget?

Options
Today while at work my client brought up forgiveness. The whole discussion brought up so many emotions for me about what people have done to me and what I may have done to people as well. I know that I have put some things behind me but actually forgiving the acts didn't happen. Obviously this has led to stress for myself=health issues (weight, acne, etc...).

What I'm asking is if you've been able to forgive someone or not forgive either and how you've done it?

A friend has told me that she "forgives, but never forgets" which still sounds "*****y" to me if that makes sense. I'm just confused about how I should approach the act of forgiving. Should I speak to the people, or just forgive within myself...?

Replies

• blueeyedcristi
    blueeyedcristi Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I personally tend to side with your friend. When someone does something horrible to you, it's much easier to forgive but almost impossible to forget. I find that it also tends to depend on who it is. If it's my s/o I find it SO much more difficult to 'forget.' Some things just can't be forgotten. The trick is to try and put them out of your mind but some of those things just tend to creep up on you at a certain point.

As far your question whether you should speak to the person or just forgive in your head - I'd also say that depends on the person and act. If you can have the type of conversation where nobody overreacts and you walk away feeling better than I'd say talk to them. If you think what you say will go in one ear and out the other than I would just try to find peace with it on my own. JMO for what it's worth.
  • perezke
    perezke Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    First off, your brittany is beautiful! I have two myself!

You can forgive someone without talking with them--I have done it. I finally decided that holding on to the anger was not worth the trouble/pain/anger that it caused me. This was hard for me because I have a real "childlike" sense of justice, i.e. everyone should play by the rules! But like I said, this was hurting me more than helping. My motto is "forward," as in move forward. It doe little good to dwell in the past. Just make the decision to forgive--either others or yourself--and move forward.
  • perezke
    perezke Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The other thing I forgot to mention is that I usually distance myself from the person that has done horrible things. I don't tend to be the type to cut people out of my life, but in some cases I do. I can forgive them, but that doesn't mean I have to be around them.
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Forgiveness is about you...the ability to let it go and not have it bother you. The "not forgetting" isn't about holding a grudge, its really just about having a fuller understanding about who you're dealing with. I have friends who can't keep secrets. I probably found this out because they blabbed something they shouldn't of. I forgave them, because we're all flawed, but I won't pretend that I don't know this is a flaw of theirs..I probably won't tell them anything really important that needs to be kept secret. I forgave, but didn't forget. BUT, if, over time, this friend shows new behavior...forgiveness is also about a willingness to see new information...its not like the friend who blabbed in high school never gets a chance to show that they've grown over the next 20 years.

I dont' know if that helped. But I'll just reiterate that for me, forgiveness is about what's going on inside you. Its about what you spend time and effort on internally. But it doesn't preclude using the information you've learned to shape future actions. Sometimes we forgive and "move on" as well.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Thru many years of therapy, I reached the conclusion that forgiveness was of upmost importance for MY mental health. It also reunited me with my father and other family members due to an incident that happened 11 years ago. Now my Dad is my best friend and one of the most important people in my life. We talked thru all of our issues and left in the past where they belonged. We could neither change those things and it wasnt serving a useful purpose in our lives. We forgave each other unconditionally for things that have occurred. Now I am blessed to see him every single day and talk to him on the phone.

Can you forget? No I dont think so. I once told my therapist that I wish I could have selective amnesia and erase all the things that haunt me in my life. Of course that is not possible. Forgiveness has to come from the heart and be meaningful. Forgetting is probably not possible, but once you forgive someone, then it's time to put it to rest and not keep beating a dead horse.

I wish you luck.
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I also want to add that you have to think about what *you want* out of relationship. I forgave my parents many things...but it wasn't worth it to me to process it with them. Because what I really wanted was for things to have been different, and that wasn't possible. An apology from them at this point would be neither here nor there [AND, what if they didn't *want* to apologize? I certainly wasn't a perfect daughter, either. What then?] So, I just forgave them in my heart. But if I have a friend who does X all the time. And it bothers me. What I really want is for them to STOP X. If that's the case, forgiving them in my heart doesn't get me what I want, which is to change the future.

So, as to whether to forgive with processing, or to forgive in your heart only...you really have to ask yourself, what do you want?
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    The meanings of "forgive and forget" and "forgive but don't forget" are much deeper than they sound. The reason it's so important to forgive someone is so that YOU can move on. Holding on to ill feelings truly weighs a person down and causes many negative effects (various health issues & just plain downright bitter personality, to list a couple. which will affect your relationships and work). But forgiving is a process. It must come from your heart and not just words. If you can truly forgive someone for a wrong they have done, you will feel the freedom. It is not necessary to tell the person, especially b/c in some cases this is not practical or simply is impossible. However, if the opportunity presents itself, or if you take the time to go out of your way and call or visit the person, the results can be profound for both parties involved. You don't have to love, like, or even respect the person. Forgiveness is power. Not letting go is weakness. Loving ourselves enough to rise above other's misconduct and choosing how we react to each situation empowers us to forgive others. People are human and make mistakes. The average person is not evil. We can't control what others think, say, or do. We can only control our reactions to them. :flowerforyou:
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I forgive that person in the sense that I don't want to hold any grudges on him simply because its not healthy on my part but that doesn't mean that I already forget all the bad things that he has done to me especially if he did it more than once. Forgive & forget are two different things for me.
  • LaurasClimb
    LaurasClimb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Forgiveness is a choice, sometimes a very hard choice.

But...if you are upset, angry, hold a grudge or just plain can't get past the situation who is the one getting hurt? Not them, they aren't living inside your heart and mind. Forgiveness is for you!

Your friend says she can forgive but not forget and she is very wise to be that way. Let's say you loaned your friend $10.00. Well, stuff happens and she just doesn't pay you back. You know in your heart that $10.00 is not going to break you financially and you don't want to ruin your friendship so you forgive her. But hopefully you have learned she won't pay you back and it would be unwise to continue to keep loaning her money.

Believe me, I know it is not always easy to forgive someone...sometimes they did something really awful, hurt you very badly. You feel they don't "deserve" your forgiveness. Again, who are you hurting? Yourself, not them - they either don't even know or they don't care.

Whether you choose to tell that person or keep it to yourself is entirely up to you and how you need to deal with it.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Every therapist I've gone to has preached forgiveness to me more than anything because I refuse to forgive my father even after he died. My opinion on that is, what he did is something that will never be worthy of forgiveness. Now, do I obsess over what he did or talk/think about it all the time? No. In fact the most I ever spoke about him since he moved in 2005 and then in 08 died was the two months I was forced into therapy for an unrelated issue and the therapist brought it up daily during group therapy and when I asked her to stop she claimed I was obsessed with my father and liked to blame him for everything when it was the opposite. I had moved on, was happier, but because of the simple fact he was not forgiven it was believed I was holding an eternal grudge.

There are few things I don't forgive or refuse to forget about even if I do forgive the person. I am an understanding person, but only to a point. It doesn't affect me, though sometimes I will sort of rant to myself about something simply to blow the steam off. If someone hurts me, I let them know. If they continue to do so, then they are out of my life.

If it's a person you can't seem to forgive or you simply want to put things in the past so that they cannot affect yourself at current, write them a letter. Make it as long as you want. If you want to send it, do so. If you don't, burn it. Either way you are putting everything in tangible words and, in a sense, getting it out of you. But if it is really affecting your life to a point where you can't function normally day to day, I would seek a therapist and perhaps a psychiatrist in case you need to begin medication for the stress or anything else.
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I've realized that for me to waste energy thinking about the people who have done me wrong in the past takes away from the life I am living now so I forgive them to lift myself up. It really has nothing to do with them and everything to do with you.

I don't forget the wrongs, but I don't let them cast a shadow over my life. Of course I am forever changed by some things that have happened in my life, but I try not to hold on to those things in a negative way. I try to learn from them and move on. I also don't think you have to speak with someone to come to forgiveness and in some cases it is better if you don't speak to the person. I was in a very abusive relationship for a long time. It took some years, but I have forgiven him. Not for him, but for me. I haven't had any contact with him for about 9 years and don't want to have any contact with him ever again.
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Thru many years of therapy, I reached the conclusion that forgiveness was of upmost importance for MY mental health. It also reunited me with my father and other family members due to an incident that happened 11 years ago. Now my Dad is my best friend and one of the most important people in my life. We talked thru all of our issues and left in the past where they belonged. We could neither change those things and it wasnt serving a useful purpose in our lives. We forgave each other unconditionally for things that have occurred. Now I am blessed to see him every single day and talk to him on the phone.

Can you forget? No I dont think so. I once told my therapist that I wish I could have selective amnesia and erase all the things that haunt me in my life. Of course that is not possible. Forgiveness has to come from the heart and be meaningful. Forgetting is probably not possible, but once you forgive someone, then it's time to put it to rest and not keep beating a dead horse.

I wish you luck.

You bring up a very important key word; to forgive "unconditionally". something I often see is people saying they forgive someone or something from the past but then it comes up in later conversations or arguments. These people have not yet made peace with it and have certainly not forgiven. They may sincerely want to but haven't "let go" yet. You can't forgive if you don't let go.

As far as forgetting: you may never forget in the true sense of the word but time and attitude will place it deep down in your memory. In most cases (except extreme), you will also be able to have normal conversations with the person because you won't care as much, if at all, about them for them to be able to have any affect on you. It'll be like talking to a stranger and just being polite.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I dont have time to hold grudges, if I am upset enough with a person I would just cut them out of my life altogether...if they are going to be IN my life i just need to get over it...
  • whoiskat23
    whoiskat23 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm still working through this myself, but I realized while I was stuck in the past and still feeling the hurt, the person/people that did me wrong, moved on in their life. They were out there living it up, carrying on like nothing and I was... stuck.

I "forgave" them for me. Not because I thought I was right and they were wrong, or that I was no longer hurt or angry by it all, but because it was keeping me back, keeping me fat and unhealthy, keeping me from my life and my full potential.

I'm still working on it, and some days are better than others, but it doesn't hurt as much and i'm not as angry as I was. Day by day.
  • Deza85
    Deza85 Posts: 10
    Options
    My brother-in-law caused what could be an unforgivable situation: For background purposes, he was brought here illegally as a child and we had been working on righting that wrong before this all happened. My husband (the youngest child) was forced to leave the US only 2 short months after the birth of our daughter. That same child will be 4 this year and she still has no clue what a father is or what they do. In the past 10 months, things have finally begun to move in the right direction, however, my husband is now a convicted felon - for trying to keep his older brother out of trouble, he is now a FELON.:explode: The rage I used to feel has subsided and now I feel indifferent for the most part, but I honestly don't know if I will ever forgive him.

I don't hate this man anymore, nor do I hold a grudge against him. I recognize that he will never change and will have the ability to destroy my family again if my husband doesn't learn to let him be. I do not want my husband or our daughter within 50 miles of him.

Does this make me a bad person? I don't think so. I know my limitations. Someday I may l find it in my heart to forgive him, but I will never forget and I will always be watching from the day he is released untl the end of my time. I love my husband and I have forgiven him for his part in this bs
  • jenn_may
    jenn_may Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Here is my way of thinking. If you hold on to something more than likely it is causing you much more pain than it is the other person. They are going on with their lives while you harbor ill feelings.
  • Brown_Eyed_Beauty
    Brown_Eyed_Beauty Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of your responses. I helps me get an idea on how and why I should go about my journey to forgive more.