About how many calories does roller skating burn?

Options
Kind of a silly question. My fiance and I take his kids roller skating just about every weekend. We usually skate anywhere from 2 - 3.5 hrs each time. Some is just recreationally, taking our time or skating w/ the boys. And other parts of the session we'll skate hard and fast, which I love :) I don't have a HRM so I have NO clue what I'm buring off. Any ideas anyone?

Replies

• Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Looks to be about the same amount as a slow jog

http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist4.htm

(Random source, no clue if it's valid)
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it really varies so a HRM would be the only way to accurately tell. When an activity has so many different intensity levels, things get confusing.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    go to "exercise" then search, then roller skating (2 words) and it will tell you
  • sweetdreamz6700
    Options
    only rollerblading comes up when you search and that burns more calories than regular roller skating for some reason, so that won't really work. Hoping to get a HRM soon. Thanks everyone!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    When I skate it's a decent pace, outdoors, on a hilly trail. Typically going about 11-12 miles per hour, average, I'd burn around 100 calories every ten minutes. I'm female, 5'5" and was around 145 when I was skating. (I've stopped since winter and spring started littering the trail with twigs and wet leaves)