Any Other Ladies Have This Problem Every Month?

Options
Ugghhh.... I just keep telling myself, "If I can make it this week, I will be fine!"

So my monthly "visitor" came 2 days ago. I just started on this new lifestyle of fitness and eating well 3 weeks ago. In the past when I was "dieting" and my period came it all went out the window since physical activity causes really bad menstrual cramps for me. But this time I'm determined it will be different! I've medicated myself and hit the gym for an hour every afternoon no matter how I feel.

Here's the problem: I am RAVENOUS! I have never felt so hungry! Probably because before I would just eat whenever and whatever I wanted. Now that I am watching my diet very carefully I am noticing that I am crazy hungry on my period. Does anyone else have this problem? I feel like I am starving, even right after a substantial meal.

Grrrr...

Replies

• Melissa_123
    Options
    Haha, I know ....Only I want junk, junk, junk. But.....I just eat carrots now. Hardly the same but filling. If I am desperate I eat raisinets for the chocolate. Just try to eat stuff good for you so you can eat more often if you need to. That way you won't be so hungry. Do you eat every few hours?
  • expressbug
    expressbug Posts: 100
    Options
    I'm always starving during that time. Most of the time I eat about 100-200 extra calories during that time. I have noticed though as I have lost weight bloating has pretty much gone away and the length that TOM last has gone from a week to about 4 days. So keep up the exercise and I'm sure that it will get better next month.
  • DBranchaud
    DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I do feel hungey a bit all the time......I think I remember hearing somewhere that you use more calories during you TOM then normal. Probably because you body is turning everything into blood and flushing it out.:blushing:
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I have those ravenous days (especially at TOM) I do allow myself a little extra. I make sure I'm still intaking under where my calories need to be to MAINTAIN, but I do allow myself a little extra healthy food. Also make sure you're eating your exercise calories!
  • sarakenna1
    sarakenna1 Posts: 261
    Options
    Yes! I have the same problem. Not only am I starving, but I crave junk. I've never had cramps caused by exercise (usually exercise helps my cramps mellow out a bit). I've heard you should give up caffine (yeah right) and eat more vegetables when TOM is around, particularly those that are high in iron. I've been known to freeze FF pudding cups to deal with chocolate/ice cream cravings, and to substitute Quaker chedder rice cakes for corn chips for "chips and salsa."
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    lol when my TOM comes around instead of junk i allow myself to eat lots and lots of raw veggies and quite a few fruits...it flushes out the system and for me if i see weight loss even a slight change on the scale during My TOM I'm happy and therefore dont crave as much junk because i see the progress (Also drink tons of water)
  • amypyr
    amypyr Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I get SO hungry during TOM. I agree with hasiangirl, drink lots of water. I've noticed, at least for me, that the months I drink tons of water, it's heavier, but lasts a day or 2 less.
  • SamiRose
    SamiRose Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem. I get soo hungry. This is a horrible excuse, but I literally feel as if I lose all self-discipline for eating "right" during that time. And quite honestly, I avoid the scale at all costs! AWWW...

I like the raw veggie and water advice. Cuz, I swear I don't even think about what I eat, I just am on the prawl for anything and everything that I can eat! sigh....I've always wanted to vent about this. I once wrote a blog about this same problem.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    My TOM was a living He!! For me, I was diagnosed with PMDD, which is basically PMS to the 100th power. So I know what you mean. Studies have shown that Magnesium deficiencies can increase PMS and PMDD symptoms. I started on magnesium supplements and was able to get off the meds and detox my system. I now drink LOTS of water:drinker: detox/cleanse regularly:indifferent: and stock up on the healthiest versions of the things I crave:tongue:
    It took a long time to learn what worked and what didn't. I wouldn't wish what I went thru on anyone! Hang in there and the best advice I can give you is this:
    Don't fight what your body wants to do, learn why and then work with it.
  • Bella151
    Bella151 Posts: 123
    Options
    This happens to me too! I have heard the reason we feel so hungry during TOM, is due to our metabolisms increasing during this time. (ie; the extra calories burned). It is very hard for me to stay on track when aunt flow comes roaring it's ugly head, but I just have to keep telling myself to eat healthy. Yes I agree on drinking lots of water too. Also, I find having a serving of dark chocolate tames the cravings some, and won't kill your calories.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    This happens to me too! I have heard the reason we feel so hungry during TOM, is due to our metabolisms increasing during this time. (ie; the extra calories burned). It is very hard for me to stay on track when aunt flow comes roaring it's ugly head, but I just have to keep telling myself to eat healthy. Yes I agree on drinking lots of water too. Also, I find having a serving of dark chocolate tames the cravings some, and won't kill your calories.

DARK CHOCOLATE....yummy. I used to be able to polish off a bag of hershey kisses as a snack. Now one small piece of dark chocolate is more heavenly than those stupid little sugary pieces of destruction....:devil:
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    During my TOM exercising helps my cramps. I know the heat from outside makes my heavier. Just eat more of the lower calorie items. That should keep you full longer.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Here is a good article....

http://www.greenmountainhealth.com/pms.html

Two nutrients that are important for women with PMS are vitamin B6 and magnesium. Vitamin B6 affects the metabolism of several hormones and neurotransmitters that have been implicated in PMS including estrogen, progesterone, prolactin, serotonin, dopamine, and the prostaglandins. Studies have found vitamin B6 to offer significant relief to 60-80% of women when taken at megadose levels. Magnesium works very closely with B6 in the metabolism of prostaglandins and is commonly deficient in women with PMS.
  • RecliningFigure
    RecliningFigure Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I also get crazy ravenous. Lots of water, and iron suppliments. Although I've been losing this battle more than winning it.
  • carissalynn82
    Options
    Great to read all of the comments! I am doing better today :smile: Still hungry, but not desperate for food like yesterday. I started out with a high protein breakfast and I think that helped. I'm drinking plenty of hot tea and water to keep my tummy full.
    I also went out and bought magnesium and B6 on my lunch break:wink:
    Tomorrow Chipotle opens in my town... there's always a new challenge every day:laugh: