Vegetarian

Options
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this site, and was wondering if anyone had any great, healthy vegetarian recipes they would like to share?

I can makea tofu stir-fry, veggie burgers and so on, but im getting a little tired of the same thing.

Thanks!:happy:

Replies

• SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I make gluten/dairy/legume-free pizza!!

Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Whole Grain Pizza Mix (use the flaxseed meal alternative for eggs and prepare as directed)
    Pizza sauce (either make from scratch or choose from one of the amazing jars of pre-made)
    Choose any veggies you want to top it with!
    Sprinkle with FlaxUSA Cold Milled Golden Flax
    Finish with Lisanatti Shredded Almond Cheese Jalapeno Jack Style

Bake!

Yummmmmmmmmmmmy!!!!
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    I make veggie spagetti w/ whole wheat noodles, marinara sauce (you can make your own or i usually use a jar) and veggies. I sautee zuccini, squash, mushrooms (or any other veggie you like) in olive oil and garlic. Or make tacos just like you normally would but w/ the emat. Add refried beans, tomato, lettuce, cheese, onion, jalepenos, sour cream and salsa.
  • Mikey777
    Options
    For a quick meal I sometimes make homemade bean burritos. I get the whole wheat wraps and use vegetarian beans....add some cheese and onion.

If you have more time you can try vegetarian stuffed bell peppers. I take yellow, red, and orange bell peppers cut off the tops and clean them out. Then I sauté rice, onion, black beans, corn, cilantro, and canned tomatoes. After that I stuff the peppers with the rice mix, top with some cheese, and bake.

I find that you can usually convert any recipe to vegetarian. For example I make potato leek soup but substitute chicken stock with veg stock (I just use less veggie stock because in my opinion it doesn't substitute 1 to 1 really well.

For a crisp food on a hot day I make an avocado salad. I cube avocados, add some jarred grapefruit, black berries, and walnuts. This is good topped with non fat yogurt.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    A western omelette is good...throw cheese, onions, peppers, whatever veggies you want, inside and top with a bit of grated cheese, salsa and fat free sour cream. Yummy!
  • Celestia
    Celestia Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The "ground beef" crumbles by Morningstar Farms are AWESOME:heart::heart: :heart: ! I make tacos, shephards pie, and meat loaf with these crumbles....you can also make spaghetti and "meat" sauce and even sloppy joes with it too!

I love the stuffed bell pepper idea! Sounds fabulous....I :heart: anything with cilantro, corn, beans!!! I'm going to try that soon!

I would also suggest a great low cal low fat alternative to noodles...buy using Spaghetti Squash.

1 Spaghetti Squash
    Slice in half length wise
    bake @ 375 for 35-45 minutes (until soft enough to pull)

When done baking, remove from oven and use a fork to rake across the squash and make the "noodles" and then mix the "noodles" with your favorite spaghetti sauce and veggies!

You can also experiment with tempeh and make tempeh "BLT's" or stir fries which are tasty and have good protein too.
  • jlauren6
    jlauren6 Posts: 209
    Options
    For a quick meal I sometimes make homemade bean burritos. I get the whole wheat wraps and use vegetarian beans....add some cheese and onion.

If you have more time you can try vegetarian stuffed bell peppers. I take yellow, red, and orange bell peppers cut off the tops and clean them out. Then I sauté rice, onion, black beans, corn, cilantro, and canned tomatoes. After that I stuff the peppers with the rice mix, top with some cheese, and bake.

I find that you can usually convert any recipe to vegetarian. For example I make potato leek soup but substitute chicken stock with veg stock (I just use less veggie stock because in my opinion it doesn't substitute 1 to 1 really well.

For a crisp food on a hot day I make an avocado salad. I cube avocados, add some jarred grapefruit, black berries, and walnuts. This is good topped with non fat yogurt.

Great ideas! Sounds yummy!

One of my recent favs is this recipe:
    Balsamic-Glazed Chickpeas and Mustard Greens
    from www.fatfreevegan.com

10 ounces mustard greens
    1/2 large red onion, thinly sliced
    4-6 tablespoons vegetable broth, divided
    4 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 pinch red pepper flakes
    1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
    2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
    1/4 teaspoon agave nectar or sugar
    1 cup cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained

Remove any large stems from the greens and discard. Tear the leaves into bite-sized pieces.

In a deep pot or wok, sauté the onion in a tablespoon or two of vegetable broth until mostly faded to pink, about 4 minutes. Add the chopped garlic and red pepper and another tablespoon of broth and cook, stirring, for another minute. Add the mustard greens, 2 tablespoons of broth, and cook, stirring, until greens are wilted but still bright green, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in the salt, if using. Remove greens and onions from pan with a slotted spoon and place in a serving dish, leaving any liquid in pan.

Add the balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, and agave or sugar to the liquid in the pan (if there is no liquid, add 2 tablespoons of broth). Add the chickpeas and cook, stirring, over medium heat until the liquid is reduced by about half. Spoon the chickpeas over the greens and drizzle the sauce over all.

I tried the mustard greens, but I make this with kale instead, I love kale!
  • candylee25
    Options
    Hi!
    Recipes are on www.livinlavidalowcarb.com and go to the forum with recipes. Yummy!
    Candy Lee