To those of you that saw the The Hunger Games

Options

Replies

• DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    It was good. Had I not read the books and absolutely LOVE the story, it probably would have been better.

The few changes they made, and the few things they left out, were very important parts of the story, so I was really disappointed in that. I don't want to spoil it by saying what was changed, but there were things that they absolutely should have included that they didn't, and things that they absolutely should not have changed that they did.

The movie itself was excellent, great acting and awesome action scenes. I could do without the shaky camera, but it's really whatever.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I liked it. I thought the things they omitted were good choices (you can't get EVERYTHING into the movie). However, because you can't hear the thoughts in Katniss' head, if you hadn't read the book, you wouldn't get how conflicted she was sometimes, or her true motivations for some things. I think it made her a simpler character.
  • Tbarr3000
    Options
    It was OK. I never read the books and didn't know what to expect. I would have liked it to be more of the games and less of the Capitol. I may have felt differently if I had read the books. It did it's job though. I will see the next one.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Better than Twilight. Nuff said.

It's not hard to be better than Twilight lol
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    It wasn't as good as the books but still worth the watch. They couldn't fit everything in of course, and changed a few things. Plus, I don't think they chose the right guy to play Peeta. That being said, I still enjoyed myself. I want to watch it again actually.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    I saw it twice if that tells you anything! I thought it was great! The books are awesome and the movie lived up to them. Plus Peeta? YUM.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Better than Twilight. Nuff said.

It's not hard to be better than Twilight lol

I personally liked the Twilight books, and thought the Twilight books were a bit better written than The Hunger Games. That being said, The Twilight Movies are horrible. I was extremely disappointed with each and every one of them so far...... Hunger Games is definitely a better screen adaptation - no where near as disappointing as Twilight.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I will usually HATE a movie if I have read the book....was not the case here. I think they did a fairly decent job with it. As others have said some things were left out or changed, which was to be expected.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the books, I didn't plan on seeing the movie but my sister went the the midnight premiere and wanted me to go with her again the next night. My sister is a huge book worm and l said it was the best novel based movie she had ever seen, plus she knew I would love it. The cast was great and the movie was amazing. I too am wanting to see it again, not something I normally feel about movies!
  • luvJOJO
    luvJOJO Posts: 1,881 Member
    Options
    I thought it was great!!! I was not disappointed at all!!
  • LeSsOvMe
    LeSsOvMe Posts: 117
    Options
    ScrewyChars-7553214
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    LOVED IT!

There was very minor changes from the book but otherwise, the story was well played out.

The minor things left out or changed were tiny details that didn't really effect the main story so no biggie, at least to me.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    We are waiting until next weekend to let the crowds die down!

I wasn't really that interested in the book, but the movie looked so good that iI ran out last week and bought it- I read it in 3 days- a section a night after work!

I finally convinced my husband to take it and read it (he works overnights and has a lot of spare time!). After this first night reading it, he came into our bedroom the next morning as I was waking up, threw it on the bed next to me, and said "why dont you just shoot me up with crack in my sleep next time! that might be less addictive"....

So now we are both oficially hooked! Buying part 2 and 3 today! Woo hoo!

Same here, sort of. I held off for as long as possible b/c I hate following "trends" but after my BFF told me how good it was, and my other good friend said she had held out but wanted to read it, too, we gave in and decided to buy the series together.

I read the first book in 4 days, but we're waiting to read the second until after we see the movie. We're dragging our husbands on a double date sometime in the next few weeks. It was filmed in NC, too, so I want to support it for that reason as well.
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I liked it. It was a little irritating the things that they changed, but it wasnt too bad. I totally cried when Rue died! I would def see it again and will be seeing the others when they come out. The books were better, but then the books are usually better than the movies. I love the girl they cast for Katniss. I think she did an excellant job.
  • Vermilla
    Vermilla Posts: 348
    Options
    It wasn't bad but the first hour was all build whuch led to a bit of a let down. If the movie weren't so darn colorful, I would've hated it. I suggest sticking with Battle Royale.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    It was ok. I felt it was really rushed at points and a little disappointed that there were parts that just seemed really badly edited together. I was talking to a friend who hadn't read the books yet and he needed a lot of explanations about the story when he saw it if that is any indication.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I personally thought the movie was better than the books, and that's a first for me. In the books I kept wanting more from Katniss, she was a bit whiny at times and I just kept hoping she would step up and be a stronger person. I think they nailed that part with Jennifer Lawrence in the movie.

Yes, they left out some parts and for those who haven't read the books there may be some inside info that gets missed. But all in all I was so very impressed that I'm going to see it again. :bigsmile:
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Good movie. I'd go see it, but a few things.

The movie doesn't at all explain why it's called The Hunger Games. It touches on it and dances around it, but never explains it, some had to ask people that read the book why it's called that. So, they get an F for that.

There were moments, mostly during fighting, where the camera was shaking just too much.

There is a scene where an arrow hits a hand, and frees the captor, but there no way the arrow would not have gone through the hand and killed him. No way. So, that scene ruined the whole movie. I hate, hate, hate when Hollywood does that...does something so fake that it's just ridiculous. So, I liked the movie overall, but when I saw that happen, I wanted to leave. It tells me that Hollywood producers think people are stupid.

But, overall, good movie. I enjoyed it.
  • Banannafish512
    Banannafish512 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Let me just say, that this was a very disappointing read on "The Hunger Games"

http://jezebel.com/5896408/racist-hunger-games-fans-dont-care-how-much-money-the-movie-made
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    I felt the movie was a adequate adaptation of the books. On that scale I would give it a 7. I felt the movie did not do a good job capturing the tension that I felt when i read the book, but that may be due to coming to the book with no expectations. overall the move gave me and the others I saw it with (all who had read the books) a good two hours of discussion over lunch.

I would suggest you go see it. but if you see anyone in a Team Gale or Team Peta shirt, shoot them with a bow and arrow. :laugh: