Knee pain post Zumba for 3 months -- looking for non-knee ca

Options
I started doing Zumba 3 times a week back in January -- I loved it, and for the first time ever, I looked forward to exercising! (Background -- I used to jog 1 to 2 times a week for about 30 minutes). In March I noticed some slight knee pain after Zumba class. I tried to work through it, feeling like my legs would be strengthened in the process, but it got worse. Two more weeks of slight pain, and suddenly I was faced with throbbing, cannot-sleep kind of knee pain.

I was told to rest the knees for a week, take NSAIDs, and do cardio that would strengthen my legs and therefore give more support to the knees.

Any recommendations by knee pain suffers for cardio exercises that you feel can strengthen your legs at the same time? I feel so discouraged, as I was down 7 pounds, loved the exercise, and now feel out of options.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Cycling on a properly adjusted bicycle is amazing for your legs.
  • traceyjolli
    Options
    How about some upper body boxing routines?
  • donnamorad
    donnamorad Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what shoes were you wearing when doing Zumba? Cross trainers are suggested because they provide lateral support. Shoes have everything to do with how your knees are feeling.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    How about some upper body boxing routines?

Any boxing that doesn't tax your knees is isn't boxing it's... slapping.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Cycling is the best. It actually relief my knee pain.
    I wear dancing shoes for my zumba class. Those shoes have spin spots so it's easy to spin and easy on your knees.
    Also try to do exercise to strengh the muscle around the knee area.
  • kdeerhake
    kdeerhake Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    An elliptical is what has reduced my knee pain but still giving me a cardio workout. Sometimes depending on how dedicated I am to a workout I'll get a little throbbing pain that night.

Never had any issues with biking. Even with a torn meniscus and arthritis, I was still able to bike in the gym, or outdoors with no issues.
  • 4FitChris
    4FitChris Posts: 10
    Options
    Try Arc Trainer (low impact stair stepping) or Eliptical. I wanted something to get my heart rate up, make me sweat, but not limp away. These work extremely well, especially if I stretch or do knee extensions or curls afterward. That seems to either remove the acid buildup, improve blood flow, or stretch the muscle and tendons during recovery, or all three. Definitely, the sooner and longer I sit, the worse my knee pain becomes when I move again.
  • regina2063
    regina2063 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I DO 30DAY SHRED....THE FIRST COUPLE WEEKS..MY KNEES WAS SCREAMING FOR MY MOTHER....I COULDNT HARDLY MAKE IT UP AND DOWN MY 2ND FLIGHT OF STAIRS...IMAGINE THAT ..OUTSIDE WHILE EVERYONE IS LOOKING AT THIS CRAZY LADY..TURNING AROUND LIKE A TODDLER TO GET DOWN....HA HA....IM IN THE 5TH WEEK NOW AND FEEL BETTER..
  • jessabethheather
    Options
    Thanks all! I just got back from the gym -- 30 minutes of elliptical, and so far absolutely no stiff, throbbing knees. I am going to do this and alternate with cycling . . . and in a few weeks when I've strengthened my legs just a bit, I'll try some different shoes at Zumba.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    You need exercises that will strengthen the muscles around your knees - Had the same problem and went to PT for it.

This link covers some of the exercises they had me do - after 10-20 minutes cycling on a recumbent to warm up.

http://orthopedics.about.com/od/physicaltherapy/p/kneerehab.htm
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I think you need less grippy trainers for zumba because of all those twisting dance moves. If your trainer grips the floor you put pressure into your knee. Its like trying to salsa in ordinary shoes. They sell zumba specific trainers or you could buy a dance trainer.
  • jessabethheather
    Options
    Just wondering what shoes were you wearing when doing Zumba? Cross trainers are suggested because they provide lateral support. Shoes have everything to do with how your knees are feeling.

Eep. I was wearing my running shoes
  • jessabethheather
    Options
    You need exercises that will strengthen the muscles around your knees - Had the same problem and went to PT for it.

This link covers some of the exercises they had me do - after 10-20 minutes cycling on a recumbent to warm up.

http://orthopedics.about.com/od/physicaltherapy/p/kneerehab.htm

Thank you! This is very helpful!