How to calculate a recipe..Help please:)

Options
so i always get stuck at this part.. logging a recipe.

Today's example: PC Organics Quinoa Salad with Cumin-Scented Vegetables
The NI on the box is for 1/4 cup - but it doesn't say if that's cooked or not?? I'm assuming they mean cooked?

I used the whole package of quinoa for this recipe. I think (from my research) that gives me about 4cups? I already mixed it all with the veggies so i'm not sure how to measure it out.

Please help me cuz this is my snacks for the week and i'm trying not to get TOO frustrated!!

thank you,

Replies

• niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I've never used quinoa, but pasta amounts and calories are for dry (not cooked) amounts.
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    If you used the entire box there should be an option for that. If not I would go with uncooked. Almost everything is uncooked. Rice, pasta, etc.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    for quinoa, a serving size is 1/4 cup UNcooked -
    easiest way would be to use the recipe builder here - enter the total amount of each ingredient, measure/weigh the final product and decide how many servings you want it to be. i tend to make it easy and do one cup servings when i do stuff like that, but sometimes i take the total weight and divide by however many people im feeding.
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    I would break all the ingredients down by the portion I am using....
  • lisasdoinit
    lisasdoinit Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    thanks! but what if i already put it all together?? its impossible to know how many cups of cooked quinoa i have right?
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    thanks! but what if i already put it all together?? its impossible to know how many cups of cooked quinoa i have right?

Use the recipe builder above in the Food Tab.

You can add in all the ingredients and say how many servings it makes,
    Then weigh the whole lot so that you can measure out a serving.
  • lisasdoinit
    lisasdoinit Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    omg. I am SUCH AN IDIOT.

in small print, under the recipe on the box..is the per serving NI.

I just had to measure out 4 servings.

thank you for your help. So sorry to have wasted your time!
  • amoslionhorse
    Options
    i hate the whole dry ingredients thing. it really messes me up. i just made quinoa this weekend too, and for the life of me i can't figure it out.

i know i should do this: box tells me the NI for 1/4 cup. so if I use 1/2 cup dry.. then when it's all cooked, I find out how much cooked I have.. and use 2x the amount of the NI on the box... then divide by servings. right?
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i hate the whole dry ingredients thing. it really messes me up. i just made quinoa this weekend too, and for the life of me i can't figure it out.

i know i should do this: box tells me the NI for 1/4 cup. so if I use 1/2 cup dry.. then when it's all cooked, I find out how much cooked I have.. and use 2x the amount of the NI on the box... then divide by servings. right?
    th NI on the box is for UNcooked - so if you used half a cup it would be two servings (about 344 calories), then just divide it equally once its cooked (single serving is 170ish for the brand i have in the pantry)