Has Anyone Read Master Your Metabolism

April0815
April0815 Posts: 780 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been reading Master Your Metabolism by Jillian Michaels. When I first bought it I thought it was going to be a bunch of BS in it. Well I love it. Everything I have read has made sense. She puts things in a way you could really understand it.

Has anyone else read this book, and if so what do you think about it?

April

Replies

• XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    I used to LOVE JM...
    but, I have read it and I think she's a bit of an extremist. She's not one to find healthy balance in anything she's done. Yes, a lot of it makes sense, but I don't think a lot of her advice/principles can be applied to everyday life.
    I thought I liked her until I read this book...

now I think Bob's the better person.
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    I've been considering buying it, I read the intro on-line and really thought it made a lot of sense. I think with anything some people take it to extreme, but if you can get some good advice from it which you can apply then it may be worth it.
  • April0815
    she says in the beginning of the book that everything she does is done to the extreme. That's just her. I think the book really explains the hormones importance. A doctor also helped her write this book.
  • Shelley130
    Shelley130 Posts: 142
    I read it last month and loved it! It just like anything you do. You have to take the good ignore the bad. I'm not following everything to extremes but I did take away some valid points I can implement.

1. No plastic water bottles.
    2. No "diet" food
    3. If I can't buy organic apples, cut the tops off.
    4. No plastic in the microwave (trying not to use microwave at all)

Absolutely no Frankenfood!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,849 Member
    I have it but haven't read through it yet. I've only just started it.

I have to say that I hope it turns out better than I'm expecting. We shall see.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    I haven't read it yet, but did read her Making the Cut. I really liked it and I do like her no nonsense style.

I personally am a bit of an extremist when it comes to food and exercise, so I think I will like Master Your Metabolism. :laugh:
  • I read it and although I might take everything to an extreme as she recommends in the book it was a huge wakeup call to me and I took away so much from the book. I try to limit processed foods to a bare minimum, I've completely stopped drinking soda and I buy as much organic food as possible. Since changing those things I've noticed a major boost in my metabolism and I have so much more energy, I feel GREAT. I just love all of Jillian's products.
  • April0815
    I read it last month and loved it! It just like anything you do. You have to take the good ignore the bad. I'm not following everything to extremes but I did take away some valid points I can implement.

1. No plastic water bottles.
    2. No "diet" food
    3. If I can't buy organic apples, cut the tops off.
    4. No plastic in the microwave (trying not to use microwave at all)

Absolutely no Frankenfood!

I haven't gotten that far in the book.
  • Shamar233
    Shamar233 Posts: 7 Member
    I loved the book! I gave the book to my sis to read and she loved it and passed
    it on also! Everyone i know who has read the book loves it!! She's Real!
    She knows what she's talking about and thats definiately a plus!
    Most people just write books to write books!
    If you live on peanut butter of course your going to lose weight! That doesn't mean its good for you!!!!
    I think she makes very valid points and A LOT of her advice is very easy to use on
    a daily basis! Stop eating processed Crap and start eating healthier options....Fruits,
    Veggies, Protien! Whats difficult about that!?!?!?!
    I have also stopped using the microwave! I got rid of it all together! I never really liked them anyways and it took a lot of room on my kitchen counter!
    I have also stopped drinking all diet soda! I never drank them often but I did like to have them
    every now and then, but that has been cut out of my diet completely now!
    She may be extreme but she also states to take with you what you want from the book and
    leave what you want behind!
  • April0815
    I haven't read it yet, but did read her Making the Cut. I really liked it and I do like her no nonsense style.

I personally am a bit of an extremist when it comes to food and exercise, so I think I will like Master Your Metabolism. :laugh:

I didn't realize she had another book until I started this one. Did you know she has one more? I didn't realize I was an extremist until I started working out with my trainer. I'm addicted to the WORKING OUT
  • April0815
    I will be reading more tonight. I think it's amazing how much of an effect your hormones have on everything your body does.
  • RecliningFigure
    RecliningFigure Posts: 214 Member
    Why should we not use the microwave?
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Is this the book with the Optimal Eating for Your Metabolism questionnaire? Someone gave me the questions with the explanations to the eating. It was interesting.
  • tazzy
    tazzy Posts: 197
    great book there are ways you can adapt it to your lifestyle I am going to follow the diet plan when the kid are back in school will have to change a couple of things then as I am in the Uk and some of the food isnt available here.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    I found it at Target today! I'll start reading it later! :drinker:
  • XFitMojoMom
    what bothered me most about the book is that she talks about not using plastics, microwaves etc... but then on biggest loser she goes ahead and peddles ziploc steam bags and the like.
    I'm just tired of her.
  • abr25
    abr25 Posts: 179
    I just finished the book and REALLY loved it.

I do think it is very extreme. Living as "clean" as she says is obviously not possible for most people...i mean organic makeup??

But i have been making small, slow changes to eat cleaner parts with each of my meals, more greens and fresh produce, less processed things, and have noticed changes already! I have more energy, i feel better about what I am eating, I am more satisfyed with what I eat, and it keeps me "moving" if you get my drift:wink:
  • XFitMojoMom
    I just finished the book and REALLY loved it.

I do think it is very extreme. Living as "clean" as she says is obviously not possible for most people...i mean organic makeup??

But i have been making small, slow changes to eat cleaner parts with each of my meals, more greens and fresh produce, less processed things, and have noticed changes already! I have more energy, i feel better about what I am eating, I am more satisfyed with what I eat, and it keeps me "moving" if you get my drift:wink:

and not taking the pill? seems crazy... especially for a fertile myrtle...
    but yes, I made small changes which make me feel better about the food I'm eating and preparing for my children.
  • I just finished the book and REALLY loved it.

Actually organic makeup and other beauty products makes a ton of sense...Do you really want to put petro byproducts on your face, when your skin will definitely be absorbing these chemicals? A lot of these chemicals are irritants too. A lot of crap that they can't sell any other way is in makeup. And don't even get me started on the biodegradability and other risks involved in using them. I'm not trying to be an "extremist" or w/e, but it makes sense to at least use all natural (when it's possible) and nontoxic or at least read the back of the label when you're buying things you use on your SKIN on a daily basis. It's beyond me why people would pay $50+ for leftovers from the petrochemical industry when all natural substitutes cost the same or less.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    I bought it but haven't had the time to read it. Hope it was worth the money. :wink:
This discussion has been closed.