How do YOU get through 30 min on treadmill, eliptical, etc?

Options

Replies

• monkeypantz
    monkeypantz Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I've recorded lots of Eastenders (very bad english soap, but its my guilty pleasure) and I made a vow that I'm not allowed to watch it unless I'm on the elliptical - so when the story line is really good I end up working out loads + it's on for 30mins 4 days a week and I'm about 3 weeks behind, which is enough to keep me going for a while.

If not I always make sure I have something recorded to fall back on!
  • Fubar_Bill
    Fubar_Bill Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I do a full hour twice a day monday to friday and I always get through it 3 minutes at a time.

Good music helps.
    At the gym they have several tvs on several channels, so I always find myself wandering between them.
    I play little mind games to keep me going like calculating the calories for an hour if I have completed X number of calories in 21 minutes.
    I used to the do "five more minutes" game. When I was near my limit I would convince myself to do 5 more minutes and keep doing that 4 or 5 times.

Really, what it comes down to for me is to simply not stop. Once you are on and moving you have to make the choice to leave. I choose not to, knowing that I am looking for a result down the road.

Cheers!
  • ksraider
    ksraider Posts: 107
    Options
    I download audio books to my phone and listen to them as I walk on the treadmill.
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Anything that takes my focus off of the timer on the elliptical. :/ I usually watch Netflix...whatever show I'm into at the moment. Right now it's Intervention. Books on cd and music also help tremendously!!!!!!!
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I always try to get to the gym in time for Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert, when they replay them at 5 CT during the week. Otherwise, my gym has wifi and I bring my ipad and watch Netflix streaming. I was watching Biggest Loser for motivation, but I'm starting to get really angry the show for its unsustainable weight loss practices.

I would be laughing through my workout if I tried watching Jon Steward/Stephen Colbert!
  • suaku
    suaku Posts: 45
    Options
    Up-tempo music. I have an iTunes Smart Playlist that automatically picks only those songs I haven't heard in the last two weeks, so it's always fresh. But I've also enjoyed listening to the same playlist day after day because when I would get to a certain song, I'd know I was over halfway done, etc.

As far as TV goes, I'm a DVR guy, too. I watch hour shows since after skipping the commercials they come out to be about 44 minutes or so -- Chopped and Amazing Race are two I watch regularly. I also like watching sporting events (a half of basketball works out to about an hour) -- I figure if the middle-aged referees can run up and down the court without a break, so can I. LOL! :)
  • healthycurves2012
    Options
    My iPod is a MUST when I work out. The first 10-15 minutes are always the worst, but then once the endorphins start rushing, it actually feels good to work out. When I start to sweat, I know I'm working hard, and that motivates me to keep going.
  • jb852013
    jb852013 Posts: 116
    Options
    Recently I realized that I can pull up online sermons on my phone and listen to them while I excersize. It helps a lot. I used to just listen to audio books on my phone.
  • twistofcain
    twistofcain Posts: 190
    Options
    Dream Theater's Change of Seasons...song is exactly 33 minutes long.
  • Alicat59
    Alicat59 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I watch TV too. Recently it's been old episodes of Biggest Loser. But really any show that will keep my attention makes me forget that I'm on the elliptical.
  • shelbysmom08
    Options
    Praybthat I can be done soon! I hate to exercise but I do it!
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Audio books (currently the Dresden books)
    Metal music and telling myself "only a few more songs"

if I dont have my iPod - then planning the next day/week/month/decade and try to convince myself that I'm almost halfway already and only a few more minutes... :sad:
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I normaly run on the treadmill and can`t really focus on the tv or reading while running so I have loud 80`s hair music going on in background to keep me moving :) works well for me
  • watchandsee
    watchandsee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I catch up on my DVR!! Gotta have a show on to get through it
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Must have music, and it has to be something that gets me motivated to run. Doesn't matter what it is as long as it motivates me (and, sadly, there are a couple Justin Beiber songs that actually do motivate me).

I also have the TV on for something to look at. I can usually 'watch' any Law & Order show since I've pretty much seen them all and know what's going on. Bonus if there is a hockey game on, since those don't require any talking at all (in fact most of the announcers are *kitten* anyway, so I'd rather not hear them).
  • FrecklesMo
    FrecklesMo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I just turn on my favorite show and once its over i know ive done 30 minutes and never thought about the time!!!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I listen to old-time radio plays. Preferably with bette davis or other high profile stars and the time flies by BUT no matter what, I still can't do 30 mins straight on the elliptical yet. up to about 20 mins, then I have to rest (I lift) then go back to it. After 30 mins on the elliptical & some lifting, I am weak & rubbery
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Usually when I'm on a machine, my daughter is on the one next to me, so I listen to really obnoxious music and sing and move my arms around to embarrass her. It's fantastic :)
  • ctychick
    ctychick Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    That sounds interesting! I'll have to check it out. Thanks!
  • betzeross
    betzeross Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I use the elliptical in the early morning so I use that time to pray. It's a g reat way to start the day! :)