Hungry More Often

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
In the past week since I started really applying myself to counting calories, etc, I've found that I've actually been eating MUCH more than I have ever eaten in the past. I used to eat 4-700 or so calories a day on average, and then have occasional binges. As expected, I got huge.

Now since I've been eating more, I'm finding that I'm getting hungry much more often. I used to be able to go to 3pm or later without getting hunger pangs for lunch... now its barely noon, and I had breakfast at 8 and a kellogg bar at 10 and I feel like I'm starving!

Is this normal? I'm hoping its a good sign that my metabolism is starting to recover.

Replies

• msarro
    Options
    In the past week since I started really applying myself to counting calories, etc, I've found that I've actually been eating MUCH more than I have ever eaten in the past. I used to eat 4-700 or so calories a day on average, and then have occasional binges. As expected, I got huge.

Now since I've been eating more, I'm finding that I'm getting hungry much more often. I used to be able to go to 3pm or later without getting hunger pangs for lunch... now its barely noon, and I had breakfast at 8 and a kellogg bar at 10 and I feel like I'm starving!

Is this normal? I'm hoping its a good sign that my metabolism is starting to recover.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    eat some protein. Almonds or maybe some peanut butter. Protein will stay with you longer.
  • kaiyacali
    kaiyacali Posts: 175
    Options
    Same here if I start working out really hard. I'm starving by the time I wake up.
  • GravyGurl
    GravyGurl Posts: 1,070
    Options
    Since I have joined this site and have been watching exactly what I eat, I find that I have experienced the same thing. I would never hear my stomach growl because I was hungry and I never had hunger pains. But since I have been doing as recommended by the site I am starving way before it's meal time! I was hoping this was normal or a good sign that I'm doing something right at least.

:tongue:
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    It may be because you are thirsty. Some times our bodies think we are hungry when we are really thirsty.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Most likely this is a combination of multiple things:

1. you were eating more before so your body is trained to want more food, unfortunately their is no way to stop you from feeling at least a little hungry if you are lowering your calorie count.

2. You most likely are burning more calories then you used to, and your body is screaming about it, trust that you are eating the right amount of food (I assume you are following the goals section of this site) and the right types of food. If you are eating 2 or 3 large meals, break them down, add a few small dense snacks to your day, and drink water, lots of water. Dense snacks include things like yogurt, nuts, cheese...etc. These all contain carbs and protein, both help satisfy hunger and keep you feeling full longer.
  • msarro
    Options
    I'm following the site pretty strictly (as much as I can). Like I said, I'm actually eating more than I was before (I never EVER ate breakfast, and most days I didn't eat lunch either), so if anything I'd think I'd feel less hungry!

Right now I'm eating breakfast at 8, a snack at 10, lunch at noon, a snack between there and 5:30 (when I have dinner), then the occasional snack through the evening. The times vary a little bit, but thats normally what I have been (and will be) sticking to.
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    When you starve the fat, you also starve the muscle. When you starve the muscle,

you lose muscle along with the fat. When you lose muscle, your metabolism slows down

and your body enters the “starvation mode.” When your body enters starvation mode, fat

loss comes to a screeching halt as your body tries to conserve its energy. When the fat

loss stops, you either give up (and gain back the fat you lost), or you grit your teeth and

drop your calories (starve yourself) even more. If you drop your calories even more,

your metabolism slows down even more. And if your metabolism slows down even

more, fat loss comes to a screeching halt again. Eventually, you always end up throwing

in the towel because you can’t keep dropping your calories forever. It’s a vicious cycle.

You just can’t win the very-low-calorie-diet game.
  • cinandchris
    cinandchris Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I am with msarro !!! I am starving between meals!! I am eating soooo much more food. But it is all healthy, fruits, veggies, oatmeal. I am eating all my calories the site gives me to eat, plus some and I am sooo hungry about 2 hours after meals. My stomach actually burns. I was telling a coworker this today when I had to eat an apple with peanut butter only 2 hours after eating oatmeal. I felt like such a hog. My sister is new here also and she said the same thing happened to her at work last night. They were teasing her about how they have never seen her eat so much !!!!. Is this our metabolism turning on? Will our stomachs adjust soon?
  • nikiholm
    nikiholm Posts: 19
    Options
    Dense snacks include things like yogurt, nuts, cheese...etc. These all contain carbs and protein, both help satisfy hunger and keep you feeling full longer.

Tillamook Tilla-Moos if you are a cheese fan. They are goooood.

Tillamook - Colby Jack - Tilla-Moo Snack
    Servings: of
    Calories90Sodium140 mg
    Total Fat7 gPotassium0 mg
    Saturated5 gTotal Carbs1 g
    Polyunsaturated0 g Dietary Fiber0 g
    Monounsaturated0 g Sugars0 g
    Trans0 gProtein5 g
    Cholesterol20 mg
    Vitamin A4 %Calcium15 %
    Vitamin C0 %Iron0 %
  • uwhuskygirl
    uwhuskygirl Posts: 320
    Options
    Thanks for asking this, I was wondering the same thing. I'm literally eating every two hours (granted it's small healthy snacks), but I feel like such a pig because I'm always eating (but still staying in my calorie allowance).

It's good to know I'm not alone in this.
  • banks1850
    Options
    if you guys think you are pigs, you should see what I have to eat every day. Oh you know what? I posted my diary on photobucket yesterday for someone, check it out. And remember, this is WITH me having a 1/2 pound a week loss goal.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm92/Banks1850/diary.jpg

oh if you notice I go over my fat and protein, that's the plan.

I do 50 25 25 for carbs fat protein, I think the site does 60 20 20 or something like that. Notice that I was also under my carbs. I do this because I do a decent amount of weight training and need the extra protein and unsaturated fats.
  • cinandchris
    cinandchris Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    After reading your food diary Banks, I do feel better. Glad I'm not the only one on an eating frenzy....lol Thanks everyone for the info :happy:
  • chriss1tt
    chriss1tt Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I've eaten crap all the time for sooooooooooo long that eating healthy is something else. I am eating so much more food, working out some, feeling better, more energy, but boy am I ever hungry all the time. Today I swear my stomach was chewing on my inards.:wink: But I think this site is great and the support is fantastic. Thanks for all the info and help. :bigsmile:
  • FUZZBUZZ4
    FUZZBUZZ4 Posts: 334
    Options
    how come ur allowance is soo high banks.. did u exercise that day or is this ur BMR calorie allowance?
  • banks1850
    Options
    how come ur allowance is soo high banks.. did u exercise that day or is this ur BMR calorie allowance?

Well, no that's with exercise (about 350 cals), but its about 2550 without anyway. I'm 6'2" and 192 lbs and I am at maintenance right now (3 lbs I want to go down, but I could stay where I am and be happy with it) I'm only trying to lose about a lb per month or so. Remember though, Guys have a higher calorie allowance then girls.:happy:
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Well, no that's with exercise (about 350 cals), but its about 2550 without anyway. I'm 6'2" and 192 lbs and I am at maintenance right now (3 lbs I want to go down, but I could stay where I am and be happy with it) I'm only trying to lose about a lb per month or so. Remember though, Guys have a higher calorie allowance then girls.:happy:
    2550... that number scares the crap out of me.. I'm up 1700 cals to maintain now & sometimes have a hard time getting it all in.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • msarro
    Options
    Well, I figured I'd tackle my hunger issue with a ton of healthy foods that I can munch on pretty much guilt free.

I went shopping this evening, 2 packs of celery hearts, a bottle of frank's red hot sauce, apple butter, and low fat low sodium cottage cheese.

Celery + hot sauce = 10 calories but a ton of flavor.
    Cottage cheese + apple butter = about 130 calories and a ton of goodness

People at work are going to think I'm weird, oh well!
  • commonsensefitness
    commonsensefitness Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If you make vege and fruits as the main dishes then you are going to have hard time making up even 1200 caloires a day. However, really its the portion control with any food that you take.

Human body is going to behave little defensively when you change your diet suddenly. But it is going to appreciate when you feed it with healthy food. Give it little time.
  • neome90
    neome90 Posts: 420
    Options
    Hi msarro. Celery with hot sauce???? HUM... I guess I'm going to have to try that ! I have found myself that some protein helps. You might want to try a little peanut butter along with the celery :bigsmile: That is if you like peanut butter?????? Best wishes to you!